ASPCA Support

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I was watching a show on ASPCA work - in one sense, applauding their work for protection of honestly neglected animals and, in another sense, shutting down an illegal hog slaughtering operation because of the psychological effects on the hogs (The show didn't focus on the operation being illegal but cruelty to animals yet, there was remarkably little evidence of mistreatment of the animals other than some hogs having to "watch" other hogs being slaughtered).

So, my questions is this . . . is there a way to support legitimate animal abuse and cruelty causes for which I think people should be held accountable without supporting the flipside of agricultural insanity?

angus9259":21zndw0s said:
I was watching a show on ASPCA work - in one sense, applauding their work for protection of honestly neglected animals and, in another sense, shutting down an illegal hog slaughtering operation because of the psychological effects on the hogs (The show didn't focus on the operation being illegal but cruelty to animals yet, there was remarkably little evidence of mistreatment of the animals other than some hogs having to "watch" other hogs being slaughtered).

So, my questions is this . . . is there a way to support legitimate animal abuse and cruelty causes for which I think people should be held accountable without supporting the flipside of agricultural insanity?
The ASPCA is about as good as it gets. But like in all things there are zealots that go overboard. At least they're not like hsus and peta which are ALWAYS overboard

Support individuals or small organizations that focus solely on rescuing LOCAL animals. They are every where and usually don't have an agenda outside of the individual animals.

Howdyjabo":zuyqp3cd said:
Support individuals or small organizations that focus solely on rescuing LOCAL animals. They are every where and usually don't have an agenda outside of the individual animals.

That would be my suggestion as well. Support your local animal shelters through donations or adoptions.

Katherine

For dog lovers, you could support the various dog rescue organizations. To the best of my knowledge every breed association has one, and their only agenda is to save abused and unwanted dogs from being put down.

WHOOAAAA! I very rarely say anything on these boards but this gets my blood boiling. Do your research on ASPCA. Hands down they are better and more resonable than HSUS but these folks have their agenda against agriculture too. Don't look at the main webpage. Keep going deeper and deeper into their website and you find the prevention of farm animal cruelty page. Mostly against factory farms. You might say "my farm is no factory farm, all my cows are happy out on big pastures." Well let them take out the feedlots (factory farms) and see how long your $.20/lb beef can pay the bills. Seedstock Breeders - Oh "my registered bulls go only for breeding." A bull that sires $20/cwt calves isn't worth near as much as a bull that sends $120/cwt calves to the feedlot. You're going to go broke with the rest of us. Let them take out poultry, egg, hog, and beef "factory farms" and see how long all the hobby farmers (nothing wrong with a hobby farmer) can feed the U.S. Not to mention the fall of the grain industry when feed is only needed at the local tractor supply and not the large feed mills.

If you have any interest in agriculture you will keep your money from going to any of these causes. Go to your local pet shelter and hand them the check. Thats the only safe way to donate to animals.

Sorry. As an egg producer and beef producer I'm very passionate about this. Hope I DID step on someone's toes. That's what its going to take to make sure my kids can eat freely.
http://www.aspca.org/fight-animal-cruel ... l-cruelty/

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how this will effect "Hobby Farmers" and the grassfed beef industry. Let me start by saying I have no problem with either whatsoever. People have the right to eat whatever they want and can afford. You may be saying "this could be good for me. With feedlots out my home raised beef prices will increase 4-10 times." Ha. You put 4 fat steers in your front pasture that are worth that kind of money and see what happens. Remember people are now starving. I'm an God-fearing, honest, Christian man, but you would be suprised to see the dirty, cutthroat thief I'd turn into if my kids were starving.

Drop off a few round bales to the horses that are hungry down the road, or offer to buy the starving cows you see on your way to work. But don't pay someone to put you out of business and starve your kids just because an animal may or may not want a little more space. This is idiotic.

Interesting. These groups are a good indicator of just how many people there are that really need to get a life.

I certainly do not condone cruelty to animals of any kind, but the going off the deep end like these folks ain't the answer either.

something's wrong with this picture. if the cattle industry isn't big enough to withstand an assualt by these nut jobs they probably have bigger problems to address.

tsmaxx47":2syxqfpj said:
something's wrong with this picture. if the cattle industry isn't big enough to withstand an assualt by these nut jobs they probably have bigger problems to address.
There isn;t ANY industry big enough to to do it. There are a lot more city folks and uninformed folks out there then there are in all of the ag industrys combined. hsus and peta hide behind their names so well and fools people into thinking they are a humane organization when all they are is an anti animal group with a huge following. In CA when hsus wanted to ban mountain lion hunting the ads equated them to an over grown, sofa lounging pussy cat. The average consumer I'm afraid really thinks that meat comes from the store in cellophane and milk comes from a carton in the refrigerated section.

dun":gnhj56r7 said:
tsmaxx47":gnhj56r7 said:
There isn;t ANY industry big enough to to do it. There are a lot more city folks and uninformed folks out there then there are in all of the ag industrys combined.... .........The average consumer I'm afraid really thinks that meat comes from the store in cellophane and milk comes from a carton in the refrigerated section.

:nod: :nod:

Things have changed quite a bit in the last 40 years. Most schools no longer 'teach' children anything about the ag industry, especially in urban areas. Waaayyyy back when I was a kid in school we had field trips to farms and the local ag/tech college and 'saw' where our food comes from. The ag/tech college where we went, now in 2011 no longer has ag programs. They have a pre vet-tech program now. The only animals on the campus now are horses for the equestrian team. Back when I was young, there was no equestrian team, and only a couple of draft horses along with a dairy and a beef herd, one of several breeds of beef and dairy animals, a flock of sheep, a couple of large chicken houses etc. Hay fields, corn fileds etc. Not anymore. Back then it was in a farming community which is now (2011) primarly office parks and factories and subdivisions.

As our (US) population has grown, many farms/ranches have sold-out and become housing for our growing population and as the generations of people continue to grow, they grow farther and farther 'from the farm'. How many of today's urban children have parents or even grandparents that lived on a farm? Not too many. They learn from what they see on TV and Disney movies. They buy their food at the store not the local 'farm-stand' or from their own gardens.

The cattle industry may be big----in terms of the number of animals, but its not as big as you would think in terms of number of people producing the animals and crops. There are not nearly as many diversified small family farms as there used to be.

And those of us who continue to farm/ranch etc. generally haven't got the time or the money to lobby and push for legislation like the urban/city folks have.

I'll stop rambling now. :oops:

Katherine

Once upon a time, there was some tolerance here. Then I witness all this abuse by "rescue" folks. They have never been around animals their whole lives (most of them). They will listen to PETA before listening to farmers.

PETA people drive cars that kill bugs with their windshields. They go by many names. The props on their boats kill fish too.

My first thoughts on this thread was, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you".

Dun explained it well as usual.

Donate some hay one time and your phone will ring forever. Especially if it's actually horse quality.

Latest posts