Arthritis in Angus Bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kay

Reaction score
Just had the Vet out to check out a 2 year old Angus Bull.He has been out with the Cows now 1 month,I noticed a few coming back into heat,so I went out and watched him breeding.He would mount the Cow but nothing extended out.So called the Vet out and he said everything is fine,but was walking stiff and he said that he was swollen in the legs.He said that Angus are know for arthritis,and it will only get worse.He advised to get rid of him.Does anybody have any experience with this? Do you think maybe he just has been breeding heavy and just wore out.He has 23 cows to breed.Thanks

IMO, 23 cows should be "just warming up" for a healthy and functioning bull full of youthful energy...

I have no experience with Angus bulls and arthritis.

Do you have another vet available for a follow on opinion? In your post you prominently mention that 'nothing' extended out, by which I believe you mean the penis never extended so penetration and breeding of the female did not occur. Yet the vet says everything is fine - he has arthritis (the bull - but then again maybe the vet) and the vet says Angus are known for getting arthritis ---- so you should sell the bull.

Did the vet perform a breeding soundness examination which led the vet to say 'everything was fine'? Except for the arthritis? But did you enjoy the play Mrs. Lincoln?

As far as I'm aware Angus cattle are not known for arthritis and the same can be said about every other breed. Something just doesn't sound quite right here so I suggest getting another opinion from a different vet if possible.

If the bull's moving stiff, and has swelling in his joints, it could be a structural issue (too straight). If it's not too severe, cattle often move fine until they get older and heavier. I don't think it's necessarily an Angus issue, there are too straight cattle in most every breed and Angus is no exception. Not only does it affect a bulls libido, but his health all the way around, including fertility. If his legs appear stiff, with the joints not wanting to bend normally and so he kind of seems to swing his legs out to walk, that's probably your problem.

can't believe a 2 yr old bull would have arthritis, if he does not get a hard on while he tried to breed different cows, you need a different bull

Assuming he had a BSE before breeding season, could he extend at that time?

We bought him in late March [ semen tested] Put him out April 20th.Watched him breed the first week,did just fine,no problems.Then when he was out 1 month noticed a few cows were coming into heat,so then I decided to sit out there and watch him He mounted the Cow but nothing came out,he seemed worned out and walking stiff,so had the vet out,and he said it was OCD, Its arthritis that affects young cattle.I'm just going on what the Vet said.He gave him a shot of Dex and told me it's best to get rid of him.He figured he couldn't extend the penis because of the inflammation from the arthritis.

Kay":iuxptawt said:
We bought him in late March [ semen tested] Put him out April 20th.Watched him breed the first week,did just fine,no problems.Then when he was out 1 month noticed a few cows were coming into heat,so then I decided to sit out there and watch him He mounted the Cow but nothing came out,he seemed worned out and walking stiff,so had the vet out,and he said it was OCD, Its arthritis that affects young cattle.I'm just going on what the Vet said.He gave him a shot of Dex and told me it's best to get rid of him.He figured he couldn't extend the penis because of the inflammation from the arthritis.

Sounds like your bull suffered an injury while breeding . It happens and has nothing to do with arthritis . You need to get a sound bull in with your cows asap if you want bred cattle and calves to sell next year , You also need to either ship that bull or start treating him with anti inflams and rest . Personally I would not waste my time on him, cull prices are good right now so get him fat and ship him .

Latest posts