Army worms have been bad in middle GA. this year.

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
Just wondering how bad the army worms have been in other places. Looks like my wife is going to have to spray a second time for them this year. She said the bahia grass fields had some in it so they must be thick.

The aremy didn;t issue them canteens so we don;t have any this year.

When what grass their is , and the grass is so dry it breaks off when you step on it army worms are not a problem. I had much rather have the army worms than the drought. You can deal with them, but the drought can not be dealt with.

I have had some here in NC , not bad , just enough to spray a few fields , I have seen them alot worse , but we are not through the season yet either

They have been the worst here as I have ever seen. I had to spray one field three times. You know they are at their worst when you have cowbirds and about 150 Canadian geese eating the worms.

We had a bad round with them this last cutting. I don't want to talk about it or I might puke.

What does everyone spray them with? Our local coop had one spray that would last 30 days with a residual. Another spray that would only kill on contact. Of courses the residual spray was lots more expensive.

We have plenty hay as it stands. I wonder if we should even spray/cut/bale another round? There is a glut of hay in East TX this year due to all the rain.

I have not seen any army worms in our pastures in Middle GA nor have I heard any mention of them from anyone else in my area until I read the posts tonight from Middle GA. Maybe your counties are not as dry as we are. Just got a little shower today for the first time in weeks. Did not get even an inch in July. Have not had a really good rain since early June.
Our pastures are holding up pretty well. I do not believe we have army worms yet, but I will be checking very closely tomorrow. My husband has a degree in Entomology so I'll put him out to looking in the morning. Thank you for mentioning them.

One of our Russell fields was ready to cut when we found them, so we rolled it and the dang things about carried the hay off. Worst year for them I've ever seen. I'm in south Al.

If what I've been told is true, we will have them bad again next year. I am told the population is affected by the amount of rain you have in August and it was a wet one here just as it was last year. Its the worst I've ever seen. In one field I had to spray with Carbaryl about a week after it was cut. This was odd. Then a week later I had to spray again with Carbaryl then I sprayed it a third time with Dimlin to shut down any future moltings. This is going to be some expensive hay so I hope it doesn't get rained on.

my neighboor lost a cutting today to army worms , he checked it tues, and today it was stripped , 23 acres of Midland 99 gone to the worms , they stripped the entire field, it was a bad as I have ever seen in a field , the ground was covered with worms.

Found them in a Bahia field Sunday. I was told they wouldn't touch Bahia but the rate they were going, it wouldn't have taken long to destroy it. Sprayed with malathion but run out. Finished with liquid 7. Still have some scattered worms. We are as far south Al as you can get. Should I spray again?

M Thomason":2nvsbuc5 said:
Found some Armyworms in my pasture today. Do I have to keep the cows off after I spray??

Supposed to remove beef cattle for a day. For dairy I think its two.

zirlottkim":2nvsbuc5 said:
Found them in a Bahia field Sunday. I was told they wouldn't touch Bahia but the rate they were going, it wouldn't have taken long to destroy it. Sprayed with malathion but run out. Finished with liquid 7. Still have some scattered worms. We are as far south Al as you can get. Should I spray again?

I have them in my Bahia too. They will get in Bahia but you just don't notice them as much. You can tell they are in there by the frosted tips on the grass blades. Worst year I've ever seen. I have them in my garden, in the hog pen, in the pecan grove. Shyt, I have them everywhere....even on my boots.

I'd keep an eye out for them and make your decision whether to spray again based on that. I've one field with sevin, then with Dursban, then with Permethrin and Dimlin. I had hoped the Dimilin would take care of the new hatchlings and keep them from becoming a problem but I have so many hatchlings I sprayed a fourth time with permethrin again to knock these buggers back. I have one field I've all but lost. I sprayed it and didn't go back and check it till a week later and another hatch occurred and the field looks like a desert.

Just got hit here in North West TN. Checked on the newly fertilized field a several days ago after a rain and the grass was so dark green and growing. Drove out to look again after a few more days passed, and it looked like the field had been hit by frost. Worms, worms and more worms.
Got it sprayed that day.
Had put such a great load of fertilizer on the bermuda field. Slower growing times now and it isn't helping to get two more cuttings. It had really shot up fast too.

I called other hay growers to check their fields.

This year has taught me to make visual inspections every couple of days.

We are getting nailed right now. The funny thing about army worms is they love the weeds that have more juice like curly dock. If you made the mistake of spraying before they showed up your entire pasture of Bermuda will be gone.

Not here in this part of KY on the Ohio River. They rarely disperse this far north. I saw a lot of tent caterpillars this spring especially on the wild cherries.

I have often had thoughts about the best place to live. Some places have bad weather, insects, weeds, etc. I don't think I would want to live much south of this Latitude. The south has its share of extreme weather and pestilence, insects, molds , fungi, etc.

I like the moderate temperate zone but we do have killer humidity here in the Ohio Valley. The mold and spore levels have been measured at record levels.

I have said it before. Denver, Colorado. Impossible to beat, IMO.

Got hit this past week in middle TN. They can do a lot of damage in a very short
period of time.

Latest posts