Are you ready?

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Are you ready for winter now? What do you have left to do to get prepared? I think im pretty well set up for the most part. I need to buy a couple trough warmers and I should be good to go. I have moved hay where it needs to be. The weather here is changing pretty quick and I think its going to be a cold winter what do yall think ?

i think we are pretty much ready.going into winter with close to 200 bales.hope we dont have to feed hay till nov.

I should have grass till Dec probably and plenty of hay. If these days keep remaining cool they should be putting on their winter coat soon. My biggest problem I can see is keeping the trough unfrozen so I am moving them close to the fence and running ext cords to the trough warmers.

Fall cows will need hay by Jan 1 but spring cows can probably make it to 2/1 if not farther on grass. Our fall forage growth has been terrible. Got 110 ton of lime to spread and one farm to still mow. Small 8 acre hay field to cut again to keep pretty for the owner. Weaning some calves now but another group to go. Fall cows are starting to calve. Will have to move spring herd to more grass around Nov and some of Fall herd might move if Uncle doesn't utilize one of his farms. Lots to do!

Yep. I'm ready. Got all my hay put up where it goes, and tractosr in good working condition, got an 80 acre pasture ready for winter foraging. New troughs...
I say bring it on...!! wait.. did I say that?

Limomike":2hcyf3k7 said:
Yep. I'm ready. Got all my hay put up where it goes, and tractosr in good working condition, got an 80 acre pasture ready for winter foraging. New troughs...

:shock: You have a nice and big brass pair to say bring it on to Mutha Nature :lol2:

skyhightree1":2u48a9r5 said:
Are you ready for winter now? What do you have left to do to get prepared? I think im pretty well set up for the most part. I need to buy a couple trough warmers and I should be good to go. I have moved hay where it needs to be. The weather here is changing pretty quick and I think its going to be a cold winter what do yall think ?

We're in for another long and unusually cold winter.

Why's a hobby guy like you worrying about it? What you carrying, about 12 cows now, ya sell out!

TennesseeTuxedo":3ucqopbh said:
skyhightree1":3ucqopbh said:

We're in for another long and unusually cold winter.

Why's a hobby guy like you worrying about it? What you carrying, about 12 cows now, ya sell out!

LOL I think the same about winter . I just wanted to know what yall big time producers were doing these days :lol2:

I have lots of hay, good water systems, no firewood yet... I ought to be able to pasture my cows til Dec 1 if there isn't a big dump of white crap. I don't like winter much.. I like being in a T shirt and being comfortable.. Had a light frost a week ago, but it's warmed up again

Still have about 40 acres to cut and then a lot of hay to haul in. Hope to not feed hay until mid Dec.

Toad":1n3v69hx said:
Still have about 40 acres to cut and then a lot of hay to haul in. Hope to not feed hay until mid Dec.

I was darn sure hoping not to cut anymore hay but a man that gives me hay off his fields since he no longer farms asked me to cut it again so I guess I have too.. I sure was looking forward to one cutting of hay so much for that.

skyhightree1":2sirs3a0 said:
About all I have left on my list is to expand the size of one of my loafing sheds to 32' x21.
(and fix a flat on that rear tractor tire that has been leaking down every 2-3 days)
A Tumblebug or 2EZ bale mover sure would come in handy at times but they are hi $ for what they do.

skyhightree1":2n89zep1 said:
Limomike":2n89zep1 said:

:shock: You have a nice and big brass pair to say bring it on to Mutha Nature :lol2:
Well, I figure after enduring 3 years of drought... ice storms so bad it broke trees all over.. and last winter breaking low temps. umm yeah.. Im ready.

Limomike":1c6r4lpw said:
skyhightree1":1c6r4lpw said:
Limomike":1c6r4lpw said:

Well, I figure after enduring 3 years of drought... ice storms so bad it broke trees all over.. and last winter breaking low temps. umm yeah.. Im ready.

Good point I hope you catch a break this year

Not quite ready yet. Have a new well drilled, but not finished with the pressure system yet. Tired of hauling water so we will celebrate finishing that one when it is done. We have our hay up and ready and some stockpile to use so that is checked off the list. Just need to get our fall calves here :)

FourSquareFarm":1idpypmy said:
Not quite ready yet. Have a new well drilled, but not finished with the pressure system yet. Tired of hauling water so we will celebrate finishing that one when it is done. We have our hay up and ready and some stockpile to use so that is checked off the list. Just need to get our fall calves here :)

I have 5 left to calf which should be between now and Nov. I think :lol2:

Far from ready here due to rain. I have yet to cut any hay as we only get 1-2 days without rain. Looks like the weather pattern is finally changing, so hope to start cutting in a couple weeks. IF we don't get anymore rain.

Latest posts