Are you an avid camper and hunter

Help Support CattleToday:

frenchie

Reaction score
This is for all you avid campers and hunters out there.....
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >The attached pictures are of a guy who works for the forest service
> > >in Alaska. He was out deer hunting. A large...large, world-record Griz
> > >charged him from about 50 yards away. The guy unloaded a 7mm Mag,
> > >Semi-auto into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him.
> > >
> > >The thing was still alive so he reloaded and capped it in the head.
> > >It was over one thousand six hundred pounds, 12'6" high at the
> > >shoulder.
> > >It's a world record!
> > >
> > >The bear had killed a couple of other people. Of course, the game
> > >department did not let him keep it.
> > >Think about it. This thing, on it's hind legs, could walk up to the
> > >average single story house and be at eye level with the roof

AlaskaGrizzly.jpg

AlaskaGrizzlyPaw.jpg

Just the picture gave me the chills! :shock: WOW!!!!!!!!!!

I would love to go bear hunting. I am a very, very avid coonhunter, I was going everynight but things had to change due to college starting back, so I go at least once a week and everynight on the weekends. I dont have any dogs of my own right now, I hunt with my best friends, one buddy has 3 Walkers and a Mountain Cur and my other buddy has 3 Walkers. We coonhunt in some pretty rough country. I havent had my own dog in a year or two. But thats soon going to change. I also deer hunt and squirrel hunt. Hoping to go Elk hunting in Colorado in a year or so.

CopeMan":3th7b0r7 said:
I would love to go bear hunting. I am a very, very avid coonhunter, I was going everynight but things had to change due to college starting back, so I go at least once a week and everynight on the weekends. I dont have any dogs of my own right now, I hunt with my best friends, one buddy has 3 Walkers and a Mountain Cur and my other buddy has 3 Walkers. We coonhunt in some pretty rough country. I havent had my own dog in a year or two. But thats soon going to change. I also deer hunt and squirrel hunt. Hoping to go Elk hunting in Colorado in a year or so.

I always liked the Redbones for coon huntin lived it in my youth. Wow a squirrel hunter I thought we were about extinct, still hunter or dog.

Still hunter right now, but with this Mountain Cur we've been coonhunting with, were gonna start squirrel hunting with him to. I like a Walker, but I also appreciate all the other breeds. Ive been hunting with a Redbone and Black and Tan. I like them all. I like curs also because they are a silent trail dog, so they they are almost treed when you hear them open up. Coons dont have enough time to make it back to there den tree.

CopeMan":5b1t9b74 said:

Try bear hunting in Canada, the best way to hunt them is with a bow. Now That's a thrilling hunt.

Best Elk hunting is in Wyoming and Montana.

Best Mule deer is in Wyoming and Montana also.

Canada's got some big bucks too.

No offence, but I'd venture to say that the 12'6" was the bear's length (nose to tail) and not it's height.

Still one big mother of an Alaskan brown bear.

Would be interested in finding out how they knew it had killed two people.

Take care.

CattleAnnie":39jnf49y said:
No offence, but I'd venture to say that the 12'6" was the bear's length (nose to tail) and not it's height.

Take care.

CattleAnnie ..I got this a yr ago as an e-mail , so no idea of actual height..what I posted was the original e-mail

The original e-mail had 4 pics 2 of the bear, 2 of the victims found in the area..I deleted the victim pics ,when I received them.

frenchie":j7hh1gn0 said:
CattleAnnie":j7hh1gn0 said:

Take care.

CattleAnnie ..I got this a yr ago as an e-mail , so no idea of actual height..what I posted was the original e-mail

The original e-mail had 4 pics 2 of the bear, 2 of the victims found in the area..I deleted the victim pics ,when I received them.

I'd read about it before, it had killed another person earlier that day if I remember correctly... pretty gruesome pictures of the victims...

I also received an email a year or two ago with the same 2 pictures that Frenchie posted here, plus the other more gruesome pictures. One of the other pictures showed a human leg with a basketball playing type shoe on the foot but with most of the leg and thigh meat eaten away. :(

I've always wanted to do some backcountry hiking in Glacier/Waterton, but the thought of encountering a griz, without being allowed to carry a big bore rifle, just gives me the heebeejeebees --- and these photos just reinforced my "concerns".

well I went coonhunting about two weeks ago in an area in Southwest Virginia, and it is very populated by black bears. It is privatley owned. Let me tell you it is rough hunting in a place like that, knowing the whole time in the back of your mind that they are out there. About 45 mintues into our hunt we found fresh bear scat. It was a cold rainy, windy night. You could just imagine one stalking you. And it does not get cold enough around here for bears to hibernate all winter. Ive always heard that if a black bear attcks a human he means to eat you.

CopeMan":37kqobuc said:
Ive always heard that if a black bear attcks a human he means to eat you.

If a bear attacks, does it really matter what it's intent is? The outcome is probably going to be rather unpleasant.

dun

dun":qqcakp61 said:
CopeMan":qqcakp61 said:
Ive always heard that if a black bear attcks a human he means to eat you.

If a bear attacks, does it really matter what it's intent is? The outcome is probably going to be rather unpleasant.

dun

Soooo true...all I know is, to have a high powered rifle. All we carry when coonhunting is a .22 My buddy wnats to get a .45 hangun to carry also

they claim there is no case of a black bear attacking anyone. had a liquor store man that used to get all the old dunkin donuts to feed them, they are real neat to see one with 3 cubs

jerry27150":30gng73u said:
they claim there is no case of a black bear attacking anyone. had a liquor store man that used to get all the old dunkin donuts to feed them, they are real neat to see one with 3 cubs

See below.

Bear attack leaves two campers injured
Episode a first at national park since early 1970s

Publication: Rocky Mountain News
Date: July 15, 2003

Author: Tillie Fong

ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK - Two men were mauled by a black bear while they were camping near Fern Lake, and one said Monday "it was extreme pain and a whole lot of blood," yet he vowed not to be deterred from future outings.

"I just woke up, and it was a blur in my head, then the blood was going everywhere," said Boulder resident Patrick Finan, 22, of the attack early Sunday. "The bear was standing outside my tent, staring in."

Finan and Tim Schuett, 23, of Glen Ellyn, Ill., were treated and released from a hospital in Estes Park Sunday. Finan had bite marks on his forehead and scalp, and Schuett had a laceration on the top of his head.

http://www.samcef.org/Attack Stories.htm

Bull puckey on the old wives tale of black bears not killing people.

James Gary Shelton has written at least three books on bear attacks in BC. His bear survival courses are widely taught to people that work in the field in the forestry and oil exploration industries.

'Bear Attacks, The Deadly Truth' c.1998 Pogany Productions(one of his books) recalls the horrible incident regarding fatalities resulting from a black bear attack on August 14, 1997 at Liard Hot Springs in northern BC.

Two of the people attacked died. Patti Reed McConnell 38, who was moving from Texas to Alaska with her two children and Ray Kitchens 57, a truck driver from Ft Nelson who tried to save her. Patti's son Kelly 13, survived the mauling as did Arie-Jan van der Velden 28 of Calgary, who was also mauled trying to save Patti, Kelly and Ray.

'Conservation Officer Myron Zukewich gave the author a brief account of the attacks and the injuries. "It was a clear-cut predatory attack," Myron said, "and there is no evidence that it was a dump bear. You can quote me. It had no garbage odor, burn marks, or cuts on it's feet or tongue, and it's stomach was full of natural foods."

Myron estimated the bear's weight at about 225 pounds; it was under-weight by about 75 pounds, but not starving.' end quote

~

Book Review and Shelton's website:

http://lists.samurai.com/pipermail/traw ... 00791.html

http://www.direct.ca/cabc/index.html#anchorHome

More information:

http://www.bearsinbc.com/pages/01black/01conflicts.html

http://www.direct.ca/cabc/4EnUp.html

Take care.

Latest posts