Are my cows too small ?

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd said:
Takes as much forage to graze two 900 lb cows as one 1500 lb.Two 900 lb cows should produce at least 1200 lbs of calves compared to 800 lbs for the 1500 lb cow[/quote

Guess my question would be if the smaller cows has to wean off 65 1/2 percent of their body weight shouldn't the larger cow have to as well. That would put that steer in about 1000 lbs!

houstoncutter":34naklij said:
hurleyjd":34naklij said:
Takes as much forage to graze two 900 lb cows as one 1500 lb.Two 900 lb cows should produce at least 1200 lbs of calves compared to 800 lbs for the 1500 lb cow[/quote

Guess my question would be if the smaller cows has to wean off 65 1/2 percent of their body weight shouldn't the larger cow have to as well. That would put that steer in about 1000 lbs!
Why wean a big calve, I sold a 333lb calf last week and it brought $1110 net. He was 4 months old and eating feed and grazing. I needed the cash for some bills Other calves in the group was about 400 to 450 each. Any way I put a check in the bank for $4400 for the four calves. Could be the 900 lbs cows I referenced was a little off base.

Stocker Steve":1oqcjpp5 said:
Nesikep":1oqcjpp5 said:
I think smaller cow's efficiency largely depends on the climate.. you get a few months of sub 0 temps and the small cows are going to be eating a lot more relative to the bigger ones just to keep warm..quote]

You will notice most of the small cow converts are in the south, or in an arid area, or both.

Be the first to admit I don't know squat about sub zero temps. It just seems to me it's not about cow size but the amount of fat the cow is carrying . If that's not right, please explain why it's not.

In the south most of us don't want bulls that are overly fat going into the breeding season, they just melt in front of your eyes!

houstoncutter":3pxnj595 said:
Be the first to admit I don't know squat about sub zero temps. It just seems to me it's not about cow size but the amount of fat the cow is carrying . If that's not right, please explain why it's not.

This is right, good amount of winter fat, and enough hair.

Latest posts