Applying Lime?

Help Support CattleToday:

gertman

Reaction score
My soil test states to raise pH to 6.0 I need 2800 lbs./acre to reach 6.5 I need 4200 lbs./acre is 4200 lbs. too much to apply at once?

Per our soils tests, our alfalfa fields have required 2 tons per acre every year. We put on the recommended amount and have had no problems.

gertman":351hpmp0 said:
My soil test states to raise pH to 6.0 I need 2800 lbs./acre to reach 6.5 I need 4200 lbs./acre is 4200 lbs. too much to apply at once?

Flat land, two tons will be OK.
Hills, I would recomend one ton per year untill you get it where you want it may take 3 years.

alabama":3mv3bwvv said:
gertman":3mv3bwvv said:

Hills, I would recomend one ton per year untill you get it where you want it may take 3 years.

No joke on flat land, do a soil test here might call for 200 or 300 pounds in the creek bottoms and 2 tons on the hill's makes it fun. I wonder where that lime on the hills keeps going.

alabama":22knkyng said:
gertman":22knkyng said:

Hi , I`m in S.E. Indiana and the bottoms very rarely need lime but the hills about always do . They tell ya around here you can put up to 4 ton per yr. on the tops . Just wander if there`s a differance in the type of lime in your area to ours that you dont recomend but 1 ton per yr. The lime around here dose seem to differ from one quarry to the next . Makes a guy wander if he`s wasting some money in runoff .

Around here the difference in requirements has more to do with soil type then the actual topographical position. In one field we have 7 different types of soil, and it;s only 30 acres. It ranges from deep (for here) topsoil to limestone rock.

ksl1":131lslue said:
Does lime help control broom sage? Also, how does wood ash compare to lime?

Lime indirectly helps to control broom sedge. By getting your ph right, more desirable species will outcompete the sedge. Wood ash is a perfect substitute for lime on a 1:1 to 2:1 ratio. The ash also provides a lot of phosphorus and potash.

Thanks for the info. What is a good way to apply wood ash or lime? We have a ground-driven manure spreader and a grass seeder for a 3pt hitch.

Latest posts