Anyone wanna guess?

Help Support CattleToday:

Medic24

Reaction score
Ok, here we go ...anyone wanna take a guess at the approx. nutrition value of the following?

A) Dry ear corn, cob and husks included, ground into course feed.

any ideas as far as protein, fat etc?

B)also, add 200 lbs dry soy meal, and 50 lbs of range minerial per ton. Then what??

Just taking a shot in the dark that some one had done this and had their feed tested out. :cboy:

Never tested it, but it would be good.

If I had it I would feed it.

Throw a bit of free choice hay or grass in there and away you go.

Bez

snapped ear should run about 8.7% crude protein. 3.8 % fat. 72% tdn soy meal comes in 44% or 48% both at 1% fat tdn 75 to 78
with the 44% bean you would have about 12% protein
with the 48% you would get 12.4% protein

medic,

Almost our standard feed. We have never tested the value...but after many years of not seeing anything better, I would need to be convinced to change.

In the past few years we have modified it with soy hull,mylo,canola,soy meal, soy beans,etc... but, when corn gathering time comes we head to the cash croppers fields and fill our cribs with snapped corn/shucks/cob and all. Ground corse and properly mixed..... nothing better IMO.

I am happy with the estimate of the content of our mix at probably 12-14% protein.

Jerry and Bez have it. That's what we feed. Figures out to be the best feed and the cheapest. At least in our area.

Thanks all, knew I could count on some experienced hands to get me in the ball park. I was offered this option recently.....and thought it may be a good feed........now lets hope I can get the price right!. :cboy:

Again...much thanks!

Medic24":nhgyrpje said:
Thanks all, knew I could count on some experienced hands to get me in the ball park. I was offered this option recently.....and thought it may be a good feed........now lets hope I can get the price right!. :cboy:

Again...much thanks!

Medic, this formula has been used for many years around here. Some add an A,D,E, mixing Mineral, dried Molasses, and sometimes Hay.

Latest posts