Anyone taken steaks off an 18 month old bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
Just looking for input if an 18 month old bull will be ok to take more then just ground beef. He was the loosing half of two bulls selected for retaining. We're keeping the one, and figured this one was too big to steer so he's headed to the locker next week. Will he be just a burger bull or will the steaks/roasts be ok yet?
Thanks

I would sell him to someone needing a bull and buy me a 700 lb steer and feed out with some corn for a couple months.

I butchered a hereford bull like that and some of the steaks were very good but lots were not. A lot of it didn't have enough marbling. The cheaper cuts were not very good at all. The burger was excellent though. A good butcher could pick you out the cuts worth keeping if they would take the time to do it.

I would much rather butcher a younger smaller animal.

For me 18 months is border line, but some folks don't mind processing an old bull or hurt cow. For me 18months would be on the line.

Your question created another question hopefully someone can answer. It seems like like I heard here that the meat quality on a young bull will change if he has bred cows, is that correct or just in my head?

Never processed a bull, but we processed a 4 year old cow who missed a calf and got really fat....She weighed 2000 and had a hanging weight of almost 1000..Fill my giant freezer up in 2010 and we are still eating her. Best meat ever so from now on when we need meat, we'll use a younger cow who missed a calf. I laughed at her T-bone steaks though, they covered our dinner plate and hung off the sides. I felt like Wilma Flintstone serving them.
We plan to process up Sarah Palsy soon. Too much meat for us, so we're splitting it up with some of our kids. She's not 2000 pounds but she'll be at least 1500...
Just in case someone doesnt know, but never process up a cow who was paralyzed calving. The meat will smell funny and be very watery.

mncowboy":2smtqjy1 said:
Just looking for input if an 18 month old bull will be ok to take more then just ground beef. He was the loosing half of two bulls selected for retaining. We're keeping the one, and figured this one was too big to steer so he's headed to the locker next week. Will he be just a burger bull or will the steaks/roasts be ok yet?
Thanks
Butchered an 18 month old holstein bull about 20 years ago. He got electrocuted, cut his throat, bled him out and hauled him to the processor. He was actively breeding cattle but was also eating 28 lbs. of a dairy ration every day. Meat was awesome.

Latest posts