Anyone Creep Feeding Calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505":jk1ubqrd said:
Alfalfa. My steers at growing super quick. Not fresh hay let it cure a couple weeks. The good stuff not rained on they need high protein to grow. I usually buy a big load for a discount , stack it at my house, raise the price sell it here and there on Craigslist. Turns out to be free feed. Just play with the numbers.
Do you have it tested at a reputable laboratory so you'll know what you're feeding and what you're selling folks??

Lrj505":13nq4kvi said:
I grow it myself

I'll ask again. Do you have it tested at a local lab so you know what you're feeding or what you're selling folks?? It just about all looks good in a bale.

Lucky said:
Wondering if anyone plans on creep feeding thier calves this year? I'm kicking around starting 2 months before I wean them. So sometime between August 15th and September 1st I would need to put them on feed and wean them around Oct. 15th. I'm wondering how much they will eat per head. I'm guessing a 425 avg in mid Aug., so my guess would be 3-5#'s a day. What have y'all experienced doing this?

Did you decide to creep feed? If so how did it go?

Hogtiming said:
Here it pencils out feed is .08-.12 per pound of feed. We feed as soon as they will eat and they do not stop eating until they are picked up by the buyer. Really helps with the weaning process here. I also have basically all fescue

What feed conversion do you get?

Double R Ranch said:
Lucky said:
Wondering if anyone plans on creep feeding thier calves this year? I'm kicking around starting 2 months before I wean them. So sometime between August 15th and September 1st I would need to put them on feed and wean them around Oct. 15th. I'm wondering how much they will eat per head. I'm guessing a 425 avg in mid Aug., so my guess would be 3-5#'s a day. What have y'all experienced doing this?

Did you decide to creep feed? If so how did it go?

I only ended up creep feeding one group of calves a couple tons. I don't think they gained much but do think it helped get them on feed and gaining quicker at weaning. I still have them and they look better than the group that wasn't on creep at all. I may try it again this year.

Figure how many lbs of feed you would expect it to take to gain an extra lb of weight. I cant decide what is extra and what the cow would do alone. I hear figures of .90 and down. At that price it would pay unless they get so fat it changes the price drastically.

If I was going to try and put some weight on the calves by creep feeding I'd want feed to be 10 cents a pound or less. That's probably not going to happen these days. I think at 10-14 cents a pound it's worth doing for 3-4 weeks before weaning to get their belly ready to start gaining on feed. I've only been weaning calves for 5-6 years now but have learned that anything done early helps them gain weight faster. Castrating and dehorning at weaning seems to set them back at least 30-45 days. That combined with ramping up the feed to let their rumen accept it and convert to pounds all cost you money. I'm going to try the creep again this year and keep up with it better now that I have a set of scales.

Lucky said:
If I was going to try and put some weight on the calves by creep feeding I'd want feed to be 10 cents a pound or less. That's probably not going to happen these days. I think at 10-14 cents a pound it's worth doing for 3-4 weeks before weaning to get their belly ready to start gaining on feed. I've only been weaning calves for 5-6 years now but have learned that anything done early helps them gain weight faster. Castrating and dehorning at weaning seems to set them back at least 30-45 days. That combined with ramping up the feed to let their rumen accept it and convert to pounds all cost you money. I'm going to try the creep again this year and keep up with it better now that I have a set of scales.
If castrating and dehorning sets them back that much why not do it when they are born and add 1 implant and your back to the growth of a bull calf.

I always do my best to castrate and dehorn at 30-90 days but it always seems there's a few stragglers born after we the spring working. It's mainly just a scheduling thing. I think I had 5 born this year after we worked the cows. So a few of them will get cut late. I've just about eliminated the horns so hopefully it won't be an issue anymore. I haven't ventured into implanting yet but have looked into it.

On another note just to make sure we are on the same page are we calling creep feeding the feed they get while still on the mommas before weaning? After weaning they are hand fed correct?

Yes, on your definition of creep feeding.
JMJ - I would love to have seen that hog episode!!
Backtrack a little on the heifer getting fat in the udder. Fat in the udder is a "real" problem - but - just to clarify, it does not affect them AFTER they are bred. In my mind, no heifer should be fed enough to get fat in her udder, no matter what age.
I didn't read the article in the beginning of this thread, but NEFarmwife dug into the article and they said they creed fed from 7-15 to 11-1 - then weaned early December.
Question - would that be counter-productive?? Creep feed about 100 days, then quit 30+ days before weaning? Seems like that's backwards. You are getting their bugs established on a grain diet, then no grain, then back to a weaned grain diet?? Unless, they never went back to a grain diet.

Creep feeding our calves is paying off big time this year. This is our first year trying it. We are on very dry, shorter pasture at this point. Normally we're looking to wean soon due to condition of the older cows. The older cows are maintaining better and so far calves are reaching weights we sold at last year in November. Same cows and same sire as last year. Only change is the creep feeder. We're using a local milling that is a beef mix ration in the creep feeder. So far it's working well for us.

Double R Ranch said:
Creep feeding our calves is paying off big time this year. This is our first year trying it. We are on very dry, shorter pasture at this point. Normally we're looking to wean soon due to condition of the older cows. The older cows are maintaining better and so far calves are reaching weights we sold at last year in November. Same cows and same sire as last year. Only change is the creep feeder. We're using a local milling that is a beef mix ration in the creep feeder. So far it's working well for us.

Congrats Double R, good reading you again, it's been a long time.

Latest posts