Anyone seen my cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms

Reaction score
Well, I bought some pairs this last week from my moms uncle, very calm and gentle cattle but unfortunately they have never been in a trailer or cought in a headgate. Friday I picked them up and hauled them to the place where I grew up that we sold last year. I find the rest of the cows that are there and let the new ones out with them close to the water, they all mixed right in with the cows except one. The best one of the whole deal is a red motley faced horned cow with a 350lb yellow steer calf, she takes off through a 5 wire fence a half a mile up the highway and off on to a 400 acre place of brush that has a new out of area owner that is VERY unfriendly and wants knowone around his place. So for the last 2 days we have been sneaking around looking for the pair on that place and the other places around, there is about 6000 acres between this highway and a county road that runs along it a couple miles away. Tommorow I am going to do a little looking and if I don't find her I expect within a week she will show up in someone else's herd. I expect she is still in eastern Taney county so if anyone is passing through and see's her please let me know :lol2:

Been there.
I did the same thing one time with a bull.
I called the cows up with a feed sack, swung the gate open and figured he'd go right to the cows, wrong he went 100 mph right thru the fence.
It's a sick feeling, hope you get her back

It is a bad feeling, but everyone around there will let me know if she turns up and they are all honest enough they wouldn't haul her to a sale if they had the chance. I have no doubt I will get her back, I just hope it's sooner than later.

red motley faced horned cow
What IS it about them red horned cows that turns 'em into Crazycow? Went to load one for my sister one time, it jumped out the pen, went thru the pasture fence, thru 2 yard fences, out the other side of the pasture, crossed the river and was last seen making a dead run for the next county over. We never did find her. I just told my Sis "Good riddance!"

greybeard":2syud4rw said:
red motley faced horned cow
What IS it about them red horned cows that turns 'em into Crazycow? Went to load one for my sister one time, it jumped out the pen, went thru the pasture fence, thru 2 yard fences, out the other side of the pasture, crossed the river and was last seen making a dead run for the next county over. We never did find her. I just told my Sis "Good riddance!"
I don't know, I have sevarel horned red cows and horned Hereford cows, there all fine, but this one sure flew the coop.

Oh no...
I hope you get her back.
Had one break out about 5 years ago or so in the WINTER in the SNOW...
M brother said if he knew she wasn't bred, he would have just shot her because she was such a bugger to catch, she was out 3 weeks!!!
He kept putting out food for her and trying to lure her home, she would run around to the neighbor's farm, it was a nightmare!!!!!!
Finally he kept sweetening her up with the best hay, and an open trailer...
Kept having it closer to the trailer and then finally in the trailer, one day he drove by on the snowmobile and saw her lounging in there, just laying there digesting her hay, and he buzzed by the rope he had tied to the door, pulled it and slammed it shut!
She sure was surprised and was rattling that trailer but then he got his pain in the azz heifer home :)
Glad his neighbor was nice about it too, neighbor even tried to help catch her a couple times when she was by him to no avail.

This is why we now like them calm and tame as possible...

Hope you can track yours down and somehow get her too... :(
Hopefully it won't take you the better part of a month either!
Sorry your neighbor isn't is nice as ours :(
Please let us know how it turns out.

Well, we got her back this morning, she was on the new guys place but since he's not around I don't worry about getting on the place. We got her out on the road and back with cows, now she won't get away from them. Cows not likening being alone makes finding one lost one easier.

That's good news for sure. She may have learned her lesson and might turn into being one of the best you have.

In 2006 I bought 11 bred charlois cows. Story told at the yard that day was they had never handled. I got them home in one load, when I opened the gate they never quit running. It was a year and half to catch all of them. They got out, and onto to big area of crp ground. All of them calved, which was good and bad. I then had 22 head to get back. I sold all the cows as I cought them. I weaned the calves and kept all the heifers. Still have most of them if my memory is correct. I seriously considered turning a bull out with them, so they wouldn't be open when I did them home. All in all I actually made money on them. Plus they wintered themselves, and ate no mineral.

Bigfoot":3oqj2b3m said:
In 2006 I bought 11 bred charlois cows. Story told at the yard that day was they had never handled. I got them home in one load, when I opened the gate they never quit running. It was a year and half to catch all of them. They got out, and onto to big area of crp ground. All of them calved, which was good and bad. I then had 22 head to get back. I sold all the cows as I cought them. I weaned the calves and kept all the heifers. Still have most of them if my memory is correct. I seriously considered turning a bull out with them, so they wouldn't be open when I did them home. All in all I actually made money on them. Plus they wintered themselves, and ate no mineral.
Now that's a story you can tell to your grand kids.

denvermartinfarms":6bqm1isa said:
Well, I bought some pairs this last week from my moms uncle, very calm and gentle cattle but unfortunately they have never been in a trailer or cought in a headgate. Friday I picked them up and hauled them to the place where I grew up that we sold last year. I find the rest of the cows that are there and let the new ones out with them close to the water, they all mixed right in with the cows except one. The best one of the whole deal is a red motley faced horned cow with a 350lb yellow steer calf, she takes off through a 5 wire fence a half a mile up the highway and off on to a 400 acre place of brush that has a new out of area owner that is VERY unfriendly and wants knowone around his place. So for the last 2 days we have been sneaking around looking for the pair on that place and the other places around, there is about 6000 acres between this highway and a county road that runs along it a couple miles away. Tommorow I am going to do a little looking and if I don't find her I expect within a week she will show up in someone else's herd. I expect she is still in eastern Taney county so if anyone is passing through and see's her please let me know :lol2:

That is the very reason new girls have to stay in jail a week here.
Got that t shirt a long time ago and I don't want another one.

Caustic Burno":2oyznojf said:
denvermartinfarms":2oyznojf said:

That is the very reason new girls have to stay in jail a week here.
Got that t shirt a long time ago and I don't want another one.
I do that as often as possible, but in this case it was not an option. I credit 100% of the deal to her lack of handling with equipment, she had never seen a trailer, never been in a headgate, never drank out of a tank, and never had a needle in her. Went back over this evening and can walk up and pet her, very gentle cow but has been in a different kind of operation for all her life.