Anyone seen a Brahman up north?

Help Support CattleToday:

We've had 13 below here and my Brahman cow had no trouble with it. She's from stock raised in the area so I'd say it's just a matter of survival of the fittest. The Indo type cow was born and raised here, just a few miles from my house and has been fine through some bitter cold and ice storms with no problems and no shelter. I don't know what to say other than generations raised here will be tougher than the southern lines. Rose, the older cow, lived through a winter here that was hardly above zero the entire winter and it was 3 or 4 months of that sort of temps. She had cedar trees for some shelter but no barns or lean to's. She doesn't strike me as a fragile cow and there doesn't seem to be any part of her ears damaged from it. There are a few Brahman herds here in our area. Wollards used to have Gyr and Brahman's. There is a nice herd of red Brahman cattle north of here about an hour and they don't have any issues with below zero temps. I don't think I'd want to bring any up here from the south and not expect issues with the cold but if bred to some already here and acclimated for generations, there might be a few of the calves that will be a problem but surely some will be more hardy. I think they are well worth the effort to develop lines that are cold hardy.

For me, the are definitely a hobby. My son runs "regular" mixed cows but he's looking forward to adding a little "ear" to the cows in his herd as long as it's less that 50% Brahman. My bull calf out of my grade American Brahman cow is by a good, grade "black bull" with a lot of good calves on the ground the past couple of years. That puts this calf at 50% or possibly less than that of Brahman blood. Bred to his mixed cows, he hopes to keep the best heifers for some replacement cows but that's way in the future and this bull calf still has to show he's worth keeping. Here is the black bull calf at a week old, his mother (Babe) and one of the new cow, Rose (the big spotted girl in the last photo). She looks tough but she's a very calm, docile and quiet cow. She loaded herself in the trailer by herself (first time in a trailer) and was a little worked up the first evening here but by the next day was at the fence with the bull, like she's been here all along.

09April2012004.jpg

09April2012BabeCalfWeekOld.jpg

09April2012010.jpg

Septtemps093.jpg

Septtemps091.jpg

05April2012001.jpg

I have Brahman/Herford Heifers, Brangus crossed cattle and raise bucking stock in Wisconsin. They do fine when they are born up here but havent had the best luck buying one in the warmer climates and bringing them up here unless you start em here in mid may and let them prepare for winter.

Many people have raised the question " seen any Brahmans up north" ? To answer these questions, I must say that the Brahman is well suited to just about any climate. Turn back time to about 1953. My dad Raymond Short raised Brahmans crossed with black angus,near East Grand Forks Mn. After several generations we got what is known as the Brangus, a 3/8 and 5/8 cross. These offspring weighted in at around 1,000 lbs. as yearlings, feeding on chopped hay,sileage and oats. My dad made a trip to arkansas and bought back 3 heifers and 2 bulls from the Rockafella ranch. One of the bulls was sold to a cattleman from thief river falls, mn. by the name of Louis Carpenter. He also raised Brahmans crossed with Herfords. The Brahmans got along well up in the cold north, never any health problems. We had these Brahmans on our farm from the early 50's thru the 70's when dad retired. The animals were housed and feed inside an open barn. Tom Short, son

neighbors down the road have quite a number of brahma cross bucking bulls. Mostly crossed with longhorn, or black angus, and from what I have seen they are not coddled, and believe me we can get some C-O-L-D weather in this part of the country.
minus --30 F* is not uncommon, and last year it went down to around minus--50 F*
As far as I know they don't have any cows, just bucking bulls, and they seem to survive okay.They seem to be fed pretty good and have a decent layer of fat under the hide, so that helps them out, so they can live in the cold, but doesn't mean they thrive as well as other beef breeds.
Jerseys can survive here, but a good milking cow that is on the thin side, ( what good milking jersy isn't just a little bit thinner than some breeds) tends to suffer when it gets real cold, so they can do it, but it tends to be hard on them.

Taurus":1if3dgro said:
ABrauny":1if3dgro said:
People are idiots, that's how Brahman cattle get up north :lol: In all seriousness though sometimes I see ads for Brahman cross cattle for sale in Wisconsin and wonder why on earth someone would do such a thing, maybe they're just curious?
Probably they were just being curious or just want to own something different? The owner of Brahman x Holstein crosses, have a purebred Brahman that's popping out the crossbred calves and have no issues with her during winter times except the owner wished she would pop out a heifer since all calves come from the Brahman cow were all bulls. I swore there was some Brangus in the commerical herds as well.

I bred just a couple several years back just to see what was up. Didn't mind them, as a cross they grew fine, but weren't as efficient so that was the end of the experiment. I love the ears though. The babies were super adorable!!

Ah yes the bucking bull ranches were common up north of us. Don't have any issues with the Minnesota winters and seen few Brahman x Highland crosses at the rodeo ranches....ugliest cattle I ever seen.

Taurus":ljkizl7j said:
Ah yes the bucking bull ranches were common up north of us. Don't have any issues with the Minnesota winters and seen few Brahman x Highland crosses at the rodeo ranches....ugliest cattle I ever seen.

Do you have any pictures or links? I so want to see that, it's like a side show I bet?

glacierridge":39dtojxl said:
Taurus":39dtojxl said:

Do you have any pictures or links? I so want to see that, it's like a side show I bet?
The pictures were on my old cell phone so I can't get them on the computer. The rodeo ranch owner bred the highland cows and two Brahman x Jersey cows to the rodeo bulls and the crossbreds were nasty and wild like their sires. Some of these crossbred bulls ended up in high school rodeos but most crossbred bulls were used as bucking bulls at the rodeo ranch. Looks like bucking bulls...only more hairy.

Taurus":1saswhtj said:
The pictures were on my old cell phone so I can't get them on the computer. The rodeo ranch owner bred the highland cows and two Brahman x Jersey cows to the rodeo bulls and the crossbreds were nasty and wild like their sires. Some of these crossbred bulls ended up in high school rodeos but most crossbred bulls were used as bucking bulls at the rodeo ranch. Looks like bucking bulls...only more hairy.
Did they have long ears too along with long hair?

glacierridge":2ifq3fku said:
Taurus":2ifq3fku said:
Did they have long ears too along with long hair?
Some of them do have ears but not big as a pure brahman. Much like a Brahman x Galloway bull picture in somewhere here...not so much hairy as their dam but not so smooth as their sires.

neighbors with the bucking bulls, I hear have a jersy- brahma cross bucking bull, and they say it is one of the better buckers that they have, and they have a whole pile of them, so I guess it says something about that kind of cross bred..
Nite Hawk

Brahmans do well in our cold country. I have had them here for years. They manage the cold and frosty conditions well. They don't calve till it starts to warm up so that works well. Any that do calve in the colder times are kept in our warmer area away from the wind chill factor. I have found that they are no more of a hinderance or a liability than our Herefords, Black Baldies or South Devons. The two breeds that pick up the quickest after winter are the Brahmans and South Devons. They run rings around the other British cattle we have. There is no discount for well presented Bos Indicus cattle in our area. Poor quality Angus still make too much money. That will change in time I'm sure. the bubble is starting to leak air from the Angus bubble not before time. They are far too overrated.

It seems like I am on the borderline where Brahman cross cattle work. I have a few Brangus and Gerts around me but mostly British and Continental cattle to the tune of probably 90%. Just a few miles south you start to see more ear with Brangus being the most popular. I don't have any eared cattle. They take a beating at the sale barn. A guy just west of me does real well selling Gert x Herford females. Guys buy them and put Angus bulls on them and they producs a real scalebuster of a calf.

a breed of cattle that spent years firing up, and canceling out the genes, that made up what they are today. heat and insect tolerant... their not gonna thrive in cold climates, over night.. ive seen mine stand and shiver like a wet dog in north AL. winters..........

ALACOWMAN":17xuwkjg said:
a breed of cattle that spent years firing up, and canceling out the genes, that made up what they are today. heat and insect tolerant... their not gonna thrive in cold climates, over night.. ive seen mine stand and shiver like a wet dog in north AL. winters..........
and I've seen the brahmans playing happily in the snow in middle of January in Minnesota.

I've seen mature healthy ones in September drop over dead in January for what the owner diagnosed as "no apparent reason".

Here's your sign.

Taurus":31k35ewe said:
ALACOWMAN":31k35ewe said:
and I've seen the brahmans playing happily in the snow in middle of January in Minnesota.
cant blame em, anything to heat up the body temp... the ones you posted pics of are not range cattle....

Latest posts