Anyone know what this is?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kell-inKY

Reaction score
I bought this at a barn sale, refinishing it for a kitchen island for the wife. My guess is that it's some kind of table built for a retail store, either hardware or clothing? The table top is hard maple, with a mixture of other woods for the rest. The top portion has a lot of cast iron hooks, a LOT, all factory made, and it has a metal plate that you cannot read attached to the front in the middle of the drawers. The add-ons like the post vice etc. are not original or course. The top canopy is supposed to sit about 6" lower, they rigged it. Bottom of legs have sheet metal wrapping them where they have not rusted off. Incredibly heavy. All hardware is old, square heads on bolts, flat heads on screws etc. pre-1950's I'm sure.

Any ideas?

Good chance was in an electric motor workshop sales store. The hooks were for hanging the different size v-belts

hurleyjd, someone else local thought that too, nobody else has a clue around here though, I'm thinking that may just be it?

Had to have it finished for Thanksgiving at our place, turned out pretty good, Lots of motor oil on this thing, a nightmare to remove with a whole lot of character, they chewed it up pretty good with cutting and burning on top. A little large for our house but the wife likes it, 8' long which is as long as our dinner table. The vise will be added to my son's forging collection, we have an old horseshoe forge he makes knives and stuff in.

You've done a good job, has given me ideas for an island bench. I would have kept the vice on it though, never know when it would come in handy to hold a leg roast while you carved it up. Besides I fix a lot of things up at night on the kitchen table but then I don't think I am as fancy as you. My wife when she visits is not game to criticise my ways too much.

Ken

What a beaut! Well-done! I'm sure your wife is tickled pink! I like rustic things and repurposing them too. Someday will post a few pics.

Thanks!

Jogeephus, it's just satin polyurethane over a dark stain I mixed up, I used it on a dining table I built and it has held up really well considering all the wet drinks and hot plates, much better than a lot of factory finishes I've seen which have a tendency to turn milky?

Latest posts