Anyone ever seen LA200 turn black?

Help Support CattleToday:

remsteel6

Reaction score
Went to give a shot the other day and when i drew the LA200 into the syringe, I noticed it had turned black. It was stored in the box and at room temp. (in house) as directed. It was also not out of date. Has anyone ever seen this? I suspect maybe it oxidized??

It usually turn darker when exposed to light and I think also oxygen. It doesn't really adversely affect the effectiveness of the oxytetracycline though.

Always keep it in the box after opened and use a piece of prestik to cover the top of the bottle to make it stay clear longer.

I found an opened bottle the other day that was solid, but it was still white looking. Last time I used it was 1999.

I've had some that was out of date to turn black. Still used it, didn't notice any ill affects.

cfpinz

I had it turn black before, I never used it because I didn't know if it was effective or not. I didn't know if I was treating the cow or not.

My wife called Pfizer about it sometime ago. They said that it discolored with age but was perfectly safe to use up to the expiration date regardless of color. We've had several bottles turn color that we threw out. she got tired of buying it and asked.

bgm":14q5qohv said:
My wife called Pfizer about it sometime ago. They said that it discolored with age but was perfectly safe to use up to the expiration date regardless of color. We've had several bottles turn color that we threw out. she got tired of buying it and asked.
Tell your wife thanks! Had the same problem ,but used it anyway and then wondered. Some valuble information.

Larry

The longer it's opened and the air gets to it, makes it turn black. Checked with the vet about it 5 or 6 years ago.

It's no biggy...just a little thicker...use a bigger needle.

Latest posts