anyone castrate their own dogs or cats?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Wife wants to take kitten to vet to castrate, I say what's the difference, a nut is a nut is a nut. Indoor male kitten, she doesn't want me to cut it, but she says shell "let" me band it. I can't see paying a vet to do it when its all the same as pigs and cattle. What say you?????

Nope -- wouldn't do that for several reasons:

1. Hurting "fluffy" would NEVER be forgotten
2. "Fluffy" can have the darndest claws - ever try to give one of those little buggers a pill (I wear welding gloves)
3. Who's going to hold "fluffy" during this process

...if you do try - please tape it, we will gladly watch you on either America's Funniest Home Videos or Most Shocking :lol:

I aint skeered!!!! I figure 5ml of vodka down the gullet, half hour later either band it or cut, I'd prefer to cut since he is still indoors a lot....
Come on, some one has to have done it

Banding a cat - not a good idea. Have to be careful even doing surgical castration not to cause problems with their urinary tract. A cat's testicles aren't set anatomically like a calf or sheep (those are easy to band), a cat is more like a stallion and it really needs to be done surgically. Whether under anesthesia or not is up to you - I got bitten clear to the bone this past spring with similar intentions, and I was going to use anesthetic. :p

Some people do band dogs - but I know some vets who consider it extremely inhumane and it has nothing to do with lost income.

Check around, find a vet who does low-cost spays/neuters for shelters - in my area at least you can get a male cat castrated for around $25.

Thanks mm. I was looking into the anatomy aspects last night and it looks like there is a bit of a difference..enough that now the wife won't even entertain the idea anymore....oh well coulda been fun

kenny thomas":y078k4z4 said:
If you have a pair of rubber boots put him head first into them and go to work. I have not done it but have seen it done.
Many many years ago I saw my Dad do this to a tom cat....Not sure his boot was ever the same, but .....
Around here TSC has hooked up with a local vet clinic that has a mobile clinic and they come to the TSC parking lot on Fridays, You bring in your cat or dog and they do spay and neuters for $35 and $30. Drop them off early in the morning in a crate and pick them up after 2:00.
Check with your local animal shelter, most have places they can refer you.

i always thought about a dog too...banding would seem to be okay but..i mean it would seem like it would work but..idk

hooknline":nm6fl7cs said:
I say what's the difference, a nut is a nut is a nut.
hooknline":nm6fl7cs said:
I aint skeered!!!! I figure 5ml of vodka down the gullet
If a nut is a nut is a nut why not try it on yourself first.....you may want to up the Vodka amount a little though :shock: .

alisonb":3pctvdft said:
hooknline":3pctvdft said:
I say what's the difference, a nut is a nut is a nut.
hooknline":3pctvdft said:
I aint skeered!!!! I figure 5ml of vodka down the gullet
If a nut is a nut is a nut why not try it on yourself first.....you may want to up the Vodka amount a little though :shock: .

Yeah......I don't think so

I do have someone in mind I wouldn't mind practicing on tho...no big deal if he's in pain or dies. :mad:

Dogs and cats can get to the banded area and try and chew it off-- big mess

Id personaly look around and find my area's low cost spay/neuter place..I can get a male cat down for $25 in my town..add in the $9 rabies shot..you are outta there in under $50.

Worth it to me..cat scratches hurt.

Around here you can get a voucher that makes it real cheap.. Tomcats are not designed really well,the tip narrows down to make a fine spray which leads to blockage.. And a kitty can turn into a whirling ball of razorblades and barbed wire crossed with a running chainsaw.. Take him to the vet.

I had a black and tan hound once that castrated himself. He would ride on top of the tool box of my truck and decided to jump off on a cat at 50 mph. He got one heck of a gravel rash and walked bow legged for a couple months but he survived. I'm not suggesting to throw the cat out the truck window at 50 mph. :?

hooknline":1yrto3au said:
Wife wants to take kitten to vet to castrate, I say what's the difference, a nut is a nut is a nut. Indoor male kitten, she doesn't want me to cut it, but she says shell "let" me band it. I can't see paying a vet to do it when its all the same as pigs and cattle. What say you?????
When we dairied my wife cut ever cat on the place BUT the vet gave her some stuff to inject them with that would put them to sleep for a couple of hours. She would walk up to a "Tom" sleeping on the porch, inject him, cut him, put him back on the porch and he'd live the rest of his life wondering "what the he$$ went wrong". But without putting them to sleep a cat will wear you out.

Latest posts