Anyone Buying Breds?

Help Support CattleToday:

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
One of my leased farms hasn't had anything on it all year. Got grass waist high and got plenty hay already. I am thinking about buying some heavy bred cows ( 7-9 months) that look like they haven't had the best care and getting those girls fat and slick and selling them as pairs this fall. I know several of you do this, just wanted to get some info about what would be best to buy and what they would average a head. Thinking about buying 40 to 50 full mouths.

I've bought probably 25 to 30 pair's and breads in the last couple of months. Some replacement quality some traders.

If you got good long grass I'd focus on short solid even weak mouths. As long as you can love em better than were they came from. You should be able to make em better. They can be had for less than 80 cents right now. If your grass holds , hold the better doers until the calves get over 400 and split em.. If you still got grass let the old girls gain a bit before you haul them. There is several ways to go, that's what I like it about it.

callmefence":3t00akxm said:
I've bought probably 25 to 30 pair's and breads in the last couple of months. Some replacement quality some traders.

If you got good long grass I'd focus on short solid even weak mouths. As long as you can love em better than were they came from. You should be able to make em better. They can be had for less than 80 cents right now. If your grass holds , hold the better doers until the calves get over 400 and split em.. If you still got grass let the old girls gain a bit before you haul them. There is several ways to go, that's what I like it about it.

Thanks for your feedback fence. I have always bought heifers and sold as breds, but im going to need my pasture in November and thought this would be a good opportunity since I have the grass. I am not real familiar with cow age in relation to mouth description. All our commercial cattle have always been branded with birth year and identification number so was no need to check their teeth. I am under the impression full mouth is approximately 7 and under, short and solid 7-10 and broken mouth old. Am I close here or way off? Thanks for your feedback. Hope everyone has a blessed day!

midTN_Brangusman":3l5wpr0b said:
callmefence":3l5wpr0b said:

Thanks for your feedback fence. I have always bought heifers and sold as breds, but im going to need my pasture in November and thought this would be a good opportunity since I have the grass. I am not real familiar with cow age in relation to mouth description. All our commercial cattle have always been branded with birth year and identification number so was no need to check their teeth. I am under the impression full mouth is approximately 7 and under, short and solid 7-10 and broken mouth old. Am I close here or way off? Thanks for your feedback. Hope everyone has a blessed day!

Depends. Teeth last longer on tall lush grass. Than on short sparse grass. On average I'd say your pretty close. Typically a cows will be aged to 5 then becomes a solid. , short solid, and weak. Cows as old as it's teeth. A ss that's been in rough sparse country can do surprisingly well on ample improved pasture. Sometimes for several more years.

Latest posts