Anyone care to give opinions of bulls in this sale??

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone cares to pick some of their favorites out of this sale?

Bull will be used on some heifers and I like to retain some calving ease due to working off the farm. Used mostly on angus and angus cross cows, a few herefords. I know there are a ot of variables but like other opinions. Definitely not after a high priced bull.

I would look to see if the dam of a bull I preferred had a record of multiple calves and if she is doing what you want a cow to do. I would look at the sale lots of females and see if I could match a preferred type in a cow or half sibs to the sire or the dam of the cows and see if any of the bulls had similar breeding.

Proper stride is important to me and free and easy movement of rear legs. For example, lot 18 travels well. I just happened to look at him because I remember seeing 10X in the pedigree and 10X puts a good type on the catalog cows I have seen. But that is just a quick and dirty look and reply.

Just curious if anyone cares to pick some of their favorites out of this sale?

Bull will be used on some heifers and I like to retain some calving ease due to working off the farm. Used mostly on angus and angus cross cows, a few herefords. I know there are a ot of variables but like other opinions. Definitely not after a high priced bull.
I didn't do anything but look at them, paging through quickly because I wasn't impressed by any of them. Best of the bunch based on conformation was #26 IMO, but I like bulls with more meat on them. Since you asked... would you have chosen to sell any of them as bulls if they were yours? I've cut better animals.

I've been out of the business for a decade now so maybe times have changed.

Guess I should have mention I was looking at the Angus ones. Kinda in a bind as my bull came up l;ame so need to do something and no other sales around.

Lot 10 GAR breeding (but some seem to love to hate anything GAR)
Definite calving ease in my opinion, top 2% marbling top 15% $ Weaned
Gotta ask since I don't find that bull attractive in the least. Do you look at the bull? Is that a part of your evaluation? Or are the numbers the only criteria that concern you?

Asking because I'm curious. Looking to learn.

I didn't look through all of them, but Lot 5 is a nice moving bull. On the other hand Lot 9 is either a structural a disaster or he is lame.

Gotta ask since I don't find that bull attractive in the least. Do you look at the bull? Is that a part of your evaluation? Or are the numbers the only criteria that concern you?

Asking because I'm curious. Looking to learn.
#1 I look at what the buyer wants, a calving ease angus bull bcs he works off the farm and not a high priced bull.

As I said, GAR breeding and he looks it. Top 2% marbling which GAR breeds for and many hate bcs its antagonistic to stoutness. Lot 10 lacks the stoutness of lot 5 who looks like a bull, but I'd not recommend to someone looking for calving ease. Love 'em or hate 'em GAR cattle do have a long history of performance which is why they have loyal repeat buyers and lot 10's top 15% $ weaned bears it out. But yes, it's true, 94% of the time calving ease bulls will be on the bottom in a show ring vs sales arena.

As for not being able to find anything good to say about his physical appearance, I think you'll agree he has a good demeaner and when I scrolled the video 1/2 way down to focus only on his gait and not be distracted by what you may not like, he has a long proportional stride and tracks straight.

The downside of being in a pinch buying at an auction is it only takes one other bidder looking hard for a calving ease bull and he might not be as affordable as I expect. That's where sale order can effect prices. Hopefully that other bidder will have filled their need before he enters the ring.

A lot of times I could've had a great buy, except for that dang one other bidder. :)

Last edited:
#1 I look at what the buyer wants, a calving ease angus bull bcs he works off the farm and not a high priced bull.

As I said, GAR breeding and he looks it. Top 2% marbling which GAR breeds for and many hate bcs its antagonistic to stoutness. Lot 10 lacks the stoutness of lot 5 who looks like a bull, but I'd not recommend to someone looking for calving ease. Love 'em or hate 'em GAR cattle do have a long history of performance which is why they have loyal repeat buyers and lot 10's top 15% $ weaned bears it out. But yes, it's true, 94% of the time calving ease bulls will be on the bottom in a show ring vs sales arena.

As for not being able to find anything good to say about his physical appearance, I think you'll agree he has a good demeaner and when I scrolled the video 1/2 way down to focus only on his gait and not be distracted by what you may not like, he has a long proportional stride and tracks straight.

The downside of being in a pinch buying at an auction is it only takes one other bidder looking hard for a calving ease bull and he might not be as affordable as I expect. That's where sale order can effect prices. Hopefully that other bidder will have filled their need before he enters the ring.

A lot of times I could've had a great buy, except for that dang one other bidder. :)
#10 definitely moves nicely. I have no quibble with GAR cattle as long as they don't have the genetically carried curly calf syndrome, and I'd imagine that has been weeded out by now. Is the buyer breeding registered stock? If so I'd be looking for a better, more masculine bull, and if not I'd be advising less concern for breed and more for results. I just tend to look at a bull before I choose from the stats.

In this bunch I would not be buying. None of them carry what I look for.

So thanks for answering.

I like #2 , our first bull was a Concensus son. Wish I had got more heifers from him . #2 is the highest weight gaining bull plus calving ease . 2 pluses in my book

I notice that some of the bulls are advertised as qualifying for a KY and TN cost share. What are the details of this cost sharing program? We don't have anything like that program here

1 is by Sydgen Enhance. I am using a 2 yr old by Sydgen Enhance this year and am very happy with him. My neighbour used him last year as a yearling and his calves are looking impressive. I expect him to be caslving ease with good growth.

Ken

People can bag on GAR all they want, but if you go to their sales, those cattle ring the bell at the top of the market...not just theirs but their associates also...so bitch all you want, but the market is paying and that's reality... if you don't like it, that's fine, but don't whine when others are taking the cash to the bank

People can bag on GAR all they want, but if you go to their sales, those cattle ring the bell at the top of the market...not just theirs but their associates also...so bitch all you want, but the market is paying and that's reality... if you don't like it, that's fine, but don't whine when others are taking the cash to the bank
I don't doubt that they have a lot of numbers behind them. But I see them as only terminal types. If that is what folks want then they can pay whatever they want for them. I have never been to a sale offering GAR cattle and will never go because around here a pasture full of functioning maternal type cows are the goal.

The other thing that happens in a lot of high brow Angus sales and likely in other breeds is the concern of all buyers being real and paying the amount stated. If you really wonder and have time, look up the high dollar animals on the association website in a month or two and check the ownership. We all might learn something.

Again, not casting stones on GAR as they are what they are: I just don't need that.

I notice that some of the bulls are advertised as qualifying for a KY and TN cost share. What are the details of this cost sharing program? We don't have anything like that program here
State will pay up to 50% up to a certain dollar amount in efforts to increase beef quality.

Pretty sure it is tobacco money. They will cost share on a number of different things: handling equipment, some facilities, feeders and rings, water systems, genetics, etc...

In TN it's called Beef Master Program I think. We have used it a time or two...

Latest posts