Anybody rotating chickens

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm no expert on the laws protecting wildlife, but always assumed a livestock owner has the right to protect their animals...

Is that not the case with eagles? Are eagles protected regardless of predating on livestock? I've seen an eagle take down an adult antelope, so I'd have to assume it would be capable of taking down a calf or sheep. That would be tough to take if eagles get a pass as they take livestock.
You'll have your ass in a crack for killing them here……. I can legally shoot my neighbors dog for killing chickens I can legally kill any varmit for killing livestock but if I shoot a ole worthless chicken hawk they will throw me under jail

Not on that scale but I have smaller chicken tractors/ portable coops with laying boxes that I run 6-10 laying hens in . I move them every 4-5 days with my side by side . Each tractor/ pen is on wheels .Fox are my big problem.
I have a pair of Great Pyrenees for the big stuff and terrier/heeler/??? mixes for the smaller varmints. Flying varmints are my only problem. My chickens run free all the time, I don't even shut the coop door at night unless it's cold. Cuts down on the feed bill too, they pretty much feed themselves. I normally keep anywhere from 12-25 birds at a time.

the coyotes and bobcats get really bold when the hens are allowed to free range here. we've seen them mid-day strolling between the house and barn waiting for the opportunity to pick some take out chicken. the neighbors let their coop get in disrepair and now the coons have cleaned out all their hens over a couple of nights.

Had foxes bad here from
2013-2016 I had over 200 game roosters at one point and was raising 1000 plus baby chickens a year. Finally got them thin"d out now I just run a flock of Layers ain't seen a fox in a while hope I don't ever again

Had foxes bad here from
2013-2016 I had over 200 game roosters at one point and was raising 1000 plus baby chickens a year. Finally got them thin"d out now I just run a flock of Layers ain't seen a fox in a while hope I don't ever again
I am just curious, who do you sell the eggs to? Who's job is it to collect the eggs?

Had foxes bad here from
DCA what did you do to thin the fox population? I have free range hens and foxes are driving me crazy!

Guineas are great for eating bugs...TICKS..... foraging. They are great watch dogs if you can stand to listen to them. They are dumber than dumb about some things. Do a lousy job of raising their own young. They will roost on an open fence at night and are easy picking for an owl. And they will pick a leader and follow anywhere... even when home raised.. If you can deal with the sometimes clueless behavior, they are fine. I have nothing against them and will have a few more once I get things fixed up the way I want here.
This is the reason we didn't shoot the wild flocks around the kraals - far too valuable as pest control, we would only harvest from the flocks further afield.

Looking at building a mobile hen house I can pull with tractor or truck . To rotate through all my pastures at my home place anybody doing this. Right now I just run the flock at the barn and they only venture so far im wanting to better utilize them. Something large enough for 250+ hens
I have done this on the organic farm in the UK six mobile units of 500 layers each moved every 4 days. With no serious hawk problems, and the resident foxes rarely taking birds, this worked out well enough. With high predator numbers I would opt for a chicken tractor possibly based on a mobile hoop structure, which would require daily moves due to the birds being more restricted than the free range ones.

Bought some chick guineas last week be curious to see how they are
Fun,dumb,interesting it just depends on the moment with them. They're tough once feathered out, if raised with chickens they kind of stay with them as they get older. They will drag their chicks through the dew soaked grass and loose them being a bird from the dry plains of Africa. Funny to watch them on snow and ice trying to go here and there and not get their feet cold.

DCA what did you do to thin the fox population? I have free range hens and foxes are driving me crazy!
Got a trapping license and traps. I had a dange good Great Pyrenees and a German Shepard as well they killed quite a few of them I burned every brush pile that looked like a pitential fox den as well we now have a good bit of cotton tail rabbits on the place as well now

I have done this on the organic farm in the UK six mobile units of 500 layers each moved every 4 days. With no serious hawk problems, and the resident foxes rarely taking birds, this worked out well enough. With high predator numbers I would opt for a chicken tractor possibly based on a mobile hoop structure, which would require daily moves due to the birds being more restricted than the free range ones.
Somebody else asked how people sell that many eggs, but no answer yet. Going through the thread you seem to have the most birds, so you must have the information. Do you sell to some kind of commercial outfit that does everything involved in retailing? Or do you have some way to sell retail?

Somebody else asked how people sell that many eggs, but no answer yet. Going through the thread you seem to have the most birds, so you must have the information. Do you sell to some kind of commercial outfit that does everything involved in retailing? Or do you have some way to sell retail?
This depends where you are in relation to nearby towns, the organic farm is near Basingstoke in Hampshire England, so we had an on farm shop selling all the produce retail to local people and passing trade, I did the same on a farm between a city (Salisbury) and a town (Amesbury) so also started a shop selling eggs, and free range pork and beef. It takes time and some work in promoting the produce, then grow into the market. We also have weekly farmers markets in the UK, so can organise to attend two or more per week selling all the produce retail, and always sold out, delivering locally was a possibility in the past, but probably too expensive now due to increased fuel prices. Setting up a shop on farm for passing and local trade is the easiest, depending on local regulations, with banners on the roadside and using part of an existing building - if meat is not being traded, it should be easy to set up a shop.

We sell our eggs for $2 a dozen $3 a 18 count.. we market mostly to family friends and coworkers. Also
Have a good relationship with a local poultry and small animal
Auction we can run eggs through if we need to move them but
We usially
Sell out every 2-3 days

Looking at building a mobile hen house I can pull with tractor or truck . To rotate through all my pastures at my home place anybody doing this. Right now I just run the flock at the barn and they only venture so far im wanting to better utilize them. Something large enough for 250+ hens
There are a number of regenerative ag folks touting this and I think it is a good idea, but as others have said the effort is substantial. The chicken tractors take time to move and are labor intensive to do so. Biggest obstacle for me has been time. Building enough tractors to house the number of chickens I would like would be time consuming and costly. The time to move multiple 10x10 tractors by hand or UTV would be substantial, and I'm not altogether sure how my livestock guardian dogs would handle it (would they dig under the coops?) They are there for my sheep's protection, and although putting in chickens with the sheep in the pasture is appealing, the sheep are the priority. They, too, are rotationally grazed, so I spend enough time rotating them on different days through the week. Good luck.

If some things work out I may try it on a small scale, I wouldn't have more then what I could keep in a bumper pull stock trailer.

I'm gonna make me one that i can move around on some poorer ground help
Distribute some chicken litter onto it plus help bust up the cow crap. They do a great job keeping everything knocked down around the barn and catch pens so wanting to help
Spread the wealth around the farm. Also
The free range in makes for great eggs

Latest posts