Anybody Bale Austrian Field Peas?

Help Support CattleToday:

Texasmark

Reaction score
Checked them (with some Jumbo Rye but they have taken over) yesterday and took a yard stick. 60% are already at about 33" and so thick they trip you trying to walk through them with no sign of slowing down. As pea "vines" like to do, they are getting all tangled together. Might become a problem like Morning Glory vines.

What I'm concerned about is drying primarily, and raking. As thick as they are I probably could bale without raking or maybe combining 2 rows to get some room for the baler tires....probably at least do that.

The drying part, I don't know. I have a little 2 basket Morra tedder that rakes really well for the little critter it is, but I don't know if it has enough strength to rip the plants apart and scatter them......thinking as I type, that may be my answer.....besides hitting the stems with the tines cracks them and allows a place for moisture to escape, assisting in the drying time.

The last time I was faced with a problem like this was in 2014 with my 8' Gotcha Plus.

Oh well if it's not problems on the short side of what you need, it's problems on the other side.....I'll take this. Suggestions welcomed.

Latest posts