Any Simmental experts out there?

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I have been looking at the web sites of some of the Simmental breeders in my area. I really like the looks of the Simi but know very little about the breed. I thought about buying a couple of heifers and crossing them with angus. What that cross be favorable? How much calving problems might I expect with Simi heifers with a 2.1 BW EPD Angus bull? CED numbers on my bull have some to be desired. The below web site has some pics of heifers for sale. Which ones do you like or dislike?

Thanks

http://www.emapletree.com

Not in your area, but check [Hook Farms.com] in Mn. Has a private treaty sale going right now for next couple days. One of top breeders in Simi breed. Good honest people and Tom is very knowlegible cattleman.

Angus bull on Simmental heifers should not be a problem. the other way around might take a little planning.

I bought some Simmental-red brangus cross heifers in November of 2004. They are now calving. They have real good size. What prices are the heifers on the website you posted? We paid $650 for ours in 2004. Here is a picture of one of them.
5d6b5975.jpg

The guy we bought ours from sells replacement females every year. he has them for sell this year for 750 to 900. The first set we bought in February 2004, we paid 625. We bred them, and then sold them in October 2004 for $1125 a piece. Pretty good profit. We have decided to keep these heifers. Trying to make it thru the winter of drought here in Texas. I got enough hay to last till the end of March. Hay prices have jumped to 65 to 100 a bale.

I've never raised simmental cows or even had a simmental bull, but I have bought a few simmental calves and have had the worst time keeping them alive.

hoss
I wouldn't be afraid to use that bull on Simm heifers. Also right now we are seeing a boom in these SimmAngus cattle. In my opinion it is hard to beat a SimmxAngus cow.

HOSS":3o4i4nhh said:
I think the asking price is 8 to 900 apiece which is normal for this area.

Hoss,
8-900 isn't a bad price right now
SM heifers in NC recently sold for around $1300

Rod":7cl4epn8 said:
I've never raised simmental cows or even had a simmental bull, but I have bought a few simmental calves and have had the worst time keeping them alive.

Rod,
I've heard people say that in the past, were they red and white? I've got a friend that said he will never own another white footed SM calf again. Claims that if they get sick you can never get them straightened out.

HOSS":3ns5top6 said:
Check out this site and go to the heifers for sale area. Tell me which ones look the best. I like red as well as black.

http://www.heresthebeef.org/emapletree/

Personally I think most would work good for replacements I did not like #104 she was a little to straight legged for me, and did not like 8 or 66 much either, maybe they would get a little better as they get bigger but besides those 3 I liked them.

We have Simmental cattle, and I love them. Sim/Angus crosses are very very popular here right now, and easy to sell at the auction too. If you get a good thick long backed Simmental cow, the Angus bull on her will make a great calf.

Yes, I had some red and white and there's no turning them around once they're sick. I also had one thet was gray and white with the same outcome.

Would love more information on Simmi's being sickly? Never heard this before. Anyone else have this problem? Wondering why they would be anymore sickly than another breed?

aplusmnt":1kbiecpf said:
Would love more information on Simmi's being sickly? Never heard this before. Anyone else have this problem? Wondering why they would be anymore sickly than another breed?

We have nothing but Simmentals. I wager they're no worse than any other breed. It depends on when you notice the symptoms and start treatment. We've brought them back from various problems such as milk fever to listerellosis. I haven't experienced any more problems here than neighbors with other breeds. The oldest ones here range from ten to fifteen years of age and the majority of those have have never seen a vet or given us the first problem. Our oldest, a fifteen year old darling, has blessed us with 13 calves (eleven Bulls & 2 heifers).

fitz.

WE have simmental and NO barns ect they are just in the open and until reently have never lost one. You really want to look at matenal calving ease. We go for the highest number we can get and Have not had to pull a calf yet. As for them being sickly, not had any problems. One got rare type of pneumonia following birth but she was sold at sale after I nursed her back to good health By the way she loved dry cat food. Simm/angus are popular but me personally don't like the angus breed. Go to the nation Simmental association web page get infomation fomr them. Good luck

I've had Simmentals since the late 80's, along with many other breeds on and off, and have found they are no more "sickly" than any other breed. I hardly think thriftyness can be attributed to one breed, as opposed to a herd or based on their health care.

Latest posts