Any news about South Devons in the US.

Help Support CattleToday:

i just got back from perth royal show and i know the south devon stud ungava did quite well on the hook in the led steer and heifer comp.

I just received a newsletter yesterday. There is quite a bit of new inquiries into the breed mostly from higher visibility at shows in NY and WI. The junior association is also much more visible and envolved than in prior years.

I also sent you a PM yesterday!

Any of you folks who use SD genetics have any experience with calves out of Black Enuf, the ABS bull?

I haven't used him, but I saw him twice in Denver. He is very moderate with good depth and length. I believe he was a 67lbs. BW. I don't know that I would use him as a heifer bull, though - That isn't a strength of the breed. I've seen quite a few of his calves and they are pretty good with a disciplined frame size.

I actually bred his grand sire, BA ACE 400. He was a very stylish calf out of the best cow that I ever used. She produced until the age of 14.

If you are interested in knowing how the calves are first hand you can contact Nichols Farms in Iowa or DarLynn Cattle Co. in MN (Dar Geiss). You can look at southdevon.com to find their contact info.

Hi BA,

I don't know Dave Nichols or Dar Geiss personally, but I'm a little hesitant to ask an owner or breeder about one of their bulls...they often see their calves through more rose colored glasses.

I've been disappointed in the past when I used a bull on the recommendation of the owner(s) so I really prefer to get opinions from less biased sources.

Thanks for your thoughts however.

UG

I thought of someone else that has used him. Maple Leaf Acres in MN (Bob Holmgren). They bred the sire of the bull, and I know they used him some. They don't own him, though. They are good people and would tell you exactly what they thought of the bull. I can tell you about the grand sire, and they could tell you about the sire ML Ebony. The maternal side is out of a bull from Malm Ranch in WY. He goes back to MT Century, who was a performance oriented bull with a little more birthweight than on the sire side of the pedigree. Anyway, sorry I couldn't be of more help, but hopefully this info. is useful.

Latest posts