Any ideas what this is if anything

Help Support CattleToday:

osubuckeyes1234

Reaction score
Wanted to see if anyone had an idea what these white spots Are if anything. They look like dry skin and are long and narrow. So far two of my steers have it and it's in the same location on both of them. Let me know what you all think.
Thanks

Attachments

• 065AB8FC-E2C8-48D1-B67C-0F1EAD5BDFD8.jpeg
    065AB8FC-E2C8-48D1-B67C-0F1EAD5BDFD8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 36
  • 2C1B483A-81F7-4D95-BEE8-AF4570A9DE83.jpeg
    2C1B483A-81F7-4D95-BEE8-AF4570A9DE83.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 35
  • 06109F47-55A3-42D3-A9C9-F4BCD5B1B76A.jpeg
    06109F47-55A3-42D3-A9C9-F4BCD5B1B76A.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 26175644-77FC-47B3-9335-F4759335D411.jpeg
    26175644-77FC-47B3-9335-F4759335D411.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
Lice would be my guess. Are you feeding hay?
That's usually when they start getting lice, as they and other tiny critters are often in the hay.
or..
Have you noticed if they have been running their heads under the bottom fence wire to graze?

Hay ring or your feeder . Does look dry , might get some pour on like Sabre or ultra Sabre in case it's lice

Similar to my original post but now it's over his eye. Rubbed it down to bare skin. I think it's just from rubbing but what are your thoughts? Anything I can put on the area to help it heal and not get infected?
Thanks
79B8F0A8-7F14-4128-904F-8C55DF3BF302.jpeg

Looks like ringworm to me. It's a fungus... we see it at one barn here... needs to be "smothered"... you can "paint it" with a brush and any kind of oil... some use used motor oil, we have good luck with smearing vaseline on it. It doesn't really hurt them. and when they shed out it usually disappears. Ringworm will make them rub against things occasionally. Look up "ringworm in cattle" and read up on it. Most people do little or nothing for it.
"They say" it will happen in cattle that do not get enough Vit A or sunlight... but we don't see it that way.... I would give them a Vit A shot, and maybe try to rub something on it. If they are outside most of the time, then it is not something to panic over, they will seldom rub it raw.

Looks like ringworm to me. It's a fungus... we see it at one barn here... needs to be "smothered"... you can "paint it" with a brush and any kind of oil... some use used motor oil, we have good luck with smearing vaseline on it. It doesn't really hurt them. and when they shed out it usually disappears. Ringworm will make them rub against things occasionally. Look up "ringworm in cattle" and read up on it. Most people do little or nothing for it.
"They say" it will happen in cattle that do not get enough Vit A or sunlight... but we don't see it that way.... I would give them a Vit A shot, and maybe try to rub something on it. If they are outside most of the time, then it is not something to panic over, they will seldom rub it raw.
Captan bean dust made into a paste and rubbed on the area will take care of it. But so will sunlight and springtime.

It is like a childhood disease. They get it and it will run its course. Goes away by itself. It is contagious. You can get it.
Most states will not let us show cattle with active ringworm or warts.
@kenny thomas I use Captan, a black powder fungicide, and I mix it with Vaseline. First, I take a curry comb and scrape all the dry scales crud off until you get to raw pink skin. May bleed slightly. Then smother it with the mixture. I put it on every time I'm near them. Maybe 2 or 3 times a day. Clears it right up.
Of course, you can go to drug store and just buy athlete's foot treatment. That is also a fungicide.

It is like a childhood disease. They get it and it will run its course. Goes away by itself. It is contagious. You can get it.
Most states will not let us show cattle with active ringworm or warts.
@kenny thomas I use Captan, a black powder fungicide, and I mix it with Vaseline. First, I take a curry comb and scrape all the dry scales crud off until you get to raw pink skin. May bleed slightly. Then smother it with the mixture. I put it on every time I'm near them. Maybe 2 or 3 times a day. Clears it right up.
Of course, you can go to drug store and just buy athlete's foot treatment. That is also a fungicide.
Good point.

Anyone ever use a goat? I know some steer jocks that swear by keeping a goat in with their show calves. They claim that the goat will lick/chew the ringworm away.

Loss of hair down the neck is most likely due to rubbing at the bale ring. The spot around the eye looks a lot like ringworm but doesn't seem to have the same texture and loss of hair from lice is generally smooth. Good pics, but still can't tell. I'd spray for lice just in case and as a preventive because it is fairly common (at least around here) this time of year.

Ringworm is a fungus and warts are a virus, but my treatment is the same: nothing. Sunlight and time. Benign neglect. It'll heal, whether you treat it or not, in approximately the same amount of time unless it's a severe case.

As an experiment a few years ago, I treated a cow with ringworm with every suggestion: scrub it with a toothbrush dipped in iodine, anti-fungal from the drugstore, smother it with Vaseline, etc. Hers cleared up in about 6 weeks. The others cleared up in about a month and a half. And they weren't pissed at me! My "Guina pig"? She kinda lost the love but eventually got over it.

So unless it gets really bad just put some sort of fungicide/Vaseline ointment on it and let it run it's course? Thanks for the info.

Latest posts