Any ideas on catching killer dogs?

Help Support CattleToday:

katscars

Reaction score
They have killed so far 40 hens and 2 cats, plus chased my calves. I need a trap I can easily make. That will hold them till I get out there which could be an hour later. I don't have a gun and with 4 children under 6 I am sick of dropping everything to chase them away. Maybe a noose of some sort? Have talked to neighbours a dozen times but they are appologetic to my face but have not paid for anything and still let out the dogs. I am sick of finding chickens everywhere.
please help.
Have called rangers they said to catch the dogs...
I'd like to see them do that with a 8mth old in one arm!
:cry2:
Kata

What would you do with it if you caught it/them? I wouldn't want to get too close to a dog that is that feral/crazy. You really need a gun.

Catch??? The only thing I would want to catch them would be the grim reaper...

Once they have a taste for chicken, it's all over. The only cure for them now is death. If you don't have a gun, there are other methods available, but none of them are very pretty. Look around and I'm sure you can find another method.

i dont know how youd trapp the dogs.but they need tobe killed pronto.trapping is the only way i know you might catch them.an thats since with kids you dont want to shot them.shooting would be the best an quickest way to get rid of them.

Can only tell you how I got rid of a pack and it wasn't with a trap. Being a naturalist I added them to the menu for buzzards.

CKC1586":192iv9ym said:
Soak sponges in bacon grease, leave them where you have seen the dogs, you will be rid of the killer dogs in a short time.....

Yes, and no one will ever know.

Thanks that makes me feel better. I am going for my gun licence as soon as I can. It does seem the best way. Though the rspca will want proof that I killed them for a good reason which means I have to get photo and video evidence too. If I catch them I can give them to the ranger and press charges. I had thought of posion but can't bring myself to it. :devil2: though I am tempted.
I have managed to find a survival web site which has diagrams of traps.
I have 4 dogs myself but I am very responsible with them, since the neighbours have been here almost all the wildlife is gone. No more wallabies and Roo's grazeing on the hill top, no wombats or echidna's. :(
Thinking that if I don't fix this problem we will have to move. Need more land and less neighbours!

This is NOT a joke. I worked as a part time retail merchandiser about 15 years, and one of the free samples I always had plenty of was EX-lax. There was a stray dog that started coming around that managed to kill one or two chickens a day, you know the smart ones that escaped the yard. Yep, you guessed it, I placed a dogs dish full of the chocolaty stuff and never saw the dog again. Musta cleaned him out real good. :tiphat:

katscars":15om99xx said:
...I have 4 dogs myself but I am very responsible with them, since the neighbours have been here almost all the wildlife is gone. No more wallabies and Roo's grazeing on the hill top, no wombats or echidna's. :(
Thinking that if I don't fix this problem we will have to move. Need more land and less neighbours!

You mean that problems even common down under? Wow. Ya, with Urban sprawl I'm having to put up with neighbors who have moved out to the country from in town, and it's a whole new ball game. They all have to have their 2,3,4-6 dogs, and they go to work all day and they come home at night, and they excersice no controll over their animals. My dogs don't bark. Theirs howl all day, and bark all night. :devil2:

I had one neighbor who has Rott's, (3 of them) One day, one of them decided it was going to eat one of my yearlings. Well, he got ahold of her tale anyway, (and took it off! :eek: ) I was very unhappy. :devil2: (it would happen to be the one orphan halter broke heffer that I had bottle fed, and that's probably why the dog got her, she was too tame to know she needed to run from the dog.) If I am ever out in the pasture with a gun, and I see someone elses dogs out in my pasture messing with my cattle, it's bye bye doggie!

I'd get a gun and learn how to shoot and soon because you don't want to put out poison or traps with small children and pets around at the risk of them getting caught or poisoned. You don't even have to kill them to get rid of them. 12guage shotgun with number six shot 2 3/4 inch shells and tight choke. Get about 40 yards away from them and just let them have it in their @ss usually they don't return.

TNMasterBeefProducer":1x00bsws said:
iowafarmer":1x00bsws said:
I'd get a gun and learn how to shoot and soon because you don't want to put out poison or traps with small children and pets around at the risk of them getting caught or poisoned. You don't even have to kill them to get rid of them. 12guage shotgun with number six shot 2 3/4 inch shells and tight choke. Get about 40 yards away from them and just let them have it in their @ss usually they don't return.

Three inch mag buckshot to the side of the head works pretty well also if within say 10 yards.

So does a deer slug.

funky 4-Her":1rioi0gk said:
CKC1586":1rioi0gk said:
Soak sponges in bacon grease, leave them where you have seen the dogs, you will be rid of the killer dogs in a short time.....
With that method you can't be sure the right animal will get it- I vote for posting photos on the "Bad Neighbor" site..If youall don't have one,make one..

dieselbeef":iialxqcx said:
hang the sponge froma tree and the dogs will jump up for it....game over
And also any calf,horse or kid wonderin by---- Waay to general a method..You'll get some kids puppy that never did anything wrong except be in the wrong place..

If you can't shoot them and if you are worried about other pets getting into what ever trap or concoction you can come up with, when you see them toss them the grease soaked sponge. Or just let them eat your chickens, rabbits etc until they are gone. :?: :?: :?:

You could try a large live trap like this one cause it is big enough to catch a dog but what you are going to do once you catch the dog beats me. Could bring it to the humane society if you have something like that in Australia and if you can't get a gun permit and shoot it. I don't think they ship to Australia though so you would have to find one closer. I suggest a live trap after a gun because if a pet or child gets in it they won't be injured as to poisons or other traps but a gun is better becasue then the animal harming you livestock is dead. Just my thoughts on it though.

iowafarmer":39gtw1gq said:
You could try a large live trap like this one cause it is big enough to catch a dog but what you are going to do once you catch the dog beats me. Could bring it to the humane society if you have something like that in Australia and if you can't get a gun permit and shoot it. I don't think they ship to Australia though so you would have to find one closer. I suggest a live trap after a gun because if a pet or child gets in it they won't be injured as to poisons or other traps but a gun is better becasue then the animal harming you livestock is dead. Just my thoughts on it though.

The "offender" will continue to offend, once they start that whole killing thing. One way or another need to be eradicated.

Only ones I had any experience with were not wild at all. Everyone actually was someone's pet but they would get together in a pack and go chase cows, pull one down, eat an ear and the rear end out and leave it to die....Killed 6 big holstein heifers before caught in the act....3 killed on the spot, one killed down the road trying to cross...one got away but got blown off his master's front steps late that afternoon.