any hog guys on here?

Help Support CattleToday:

trappersteve

Reaction score
Will be gettin a few pigs in the near future and I've never had them before. I will be starting from scratch and don't know much about them. I'm looking for tips that will help the learning curve ( pens, feeding, shelter). I will probably start out with a couple or three 7 week olds .

I prefer to fence off and area that has some shade and grazing. Electric fence is a Must as they will root up to and under the web wire. get a good ration and check with your feed store for mineral requirements. pastured pigs will be healthier than confined ones IMO. They will consume anything you give them from kitchen scraps to meat trimmings.

3 or 4 pigs on an 1/2 acre and another 1/2 acre to rotate to and you will be fine. I know folks that keep the in 20x20 pens and they do fine but they will be Happier with room to move around and every one knows that Happy Pigs make better bacon.

trappersteve":onxklcou said:
Will be gettin a few pigs in the near future and I've never had them before. I will be starting from scratch and don't know much about them. I'm looking for tips that will help the learning curve ( pens, feeding, shelter). I will probably start out with a couple or three 7 week olds .

Steve most pig starters will run at least 20% crude protein with 4-5% fat and no more than 4-5% crude fiber and will be composed primarily of corn and soybean meal along with all needed vitamins and minerals. Then as they grow and mature you can switch to a grower and then a finisher. I'd stay away from the nationwide brands with the exception of MoorMan's feed which is a subsidiary of ADM. They make good pig rations. And as M5 said, they'll eat just about anything else you give them as well.

M5 can they run whithin an electric fence only and how many wires how Hi

Tb I will be gettin my ration from southern states 20% to start and then 14% and corn to finish. When do I need to start them on the 14%?

Electric fence only no less than 3 strands 6" ,12" , 30" at the minimum for small pigs as they get larger you can divide the distance. It will require a daily trip around the fence to clear debris. I used to walk about 5 miles of fence with a hoe every day on a on an about 50 acres so that tells you how many pens we had. We averaged around 500 to 800 head in the late 70's and 80's

M5farm":3d7mmo18 said:
Electric fence only no less than 3 strands 6" ,12" , 30" at the minimum for small pigs as they get larger you can divide the distance. It will require a daily trip around the fence to clear debris. I used to walk about 5 miles of fence with a hoe every day on a on an about 50 acres so that tells you how many pens we had. We averaged around 500 to 800 head in the late 70's and 80's
My plan was to grow them to about 150 pounds then turn them out on grass and train them to electricity while in the lot

That will work . they will test the fence every day. They are easy to raise and quite entertaining also. When they get you routine down they will know when it's time to be fed and come a running. My neighbor has 10 or 12 and on pig that's around 150# acts normal when I go by his pen on anything but my jeep. When I go by on the jeep he turn in circles like he's chasing his tail. It's very funny

I've also tossed around raising a couple pigs. I've heard that too hot of an electric fence will kill a pig. Is there any fact to that and if so, how hot of a charger do you need?

rla442":3qus61kn said:
I've also tossed around raising a couple pigs. I've heard that too hot of an electric fence will kill a pig. Is there any fact to that and if so, how hot of a charger do you need?

I use a standard 10 mile charger, my neighbor uses 50mile charger. I'm sure it could happen if the pig were to get hung up on the fence but never seen it.

trappersteve":23ehk3v1 said:
M5 can they run whithin an electric fence only and how many wires how Hi

Tb I will be gettin my ration from southern states 20% to start and then 14% and corn to finish. When do I need to start them on the 14%?
Grower at 50-60 lbs. to market or kill weight.

Thanx tb I may keep a sow or two for breeding, do I need to feed them ant different . I don't want them too big for breeders probably about 300 pounds or so

We keep one sow and breed her every nine months or so. I let her out every so often but for the most part she's penned on concrete. After pecan harvest I let her out for a few hours a day and she feeds herself for the most part but if I leave her out to long the destruction starts so a few hours is tops. Once they're mature you can feed them pretty cheap up until they farrow and then you're going to have to pay attention and FEED them. They milk like a cow can only dream about.
For getting pigs up to slaughter weight, don't try to feed cheap. You will taste every mistake you make if you do. In the past we've fed hogs leftover milk, eggs, garden scraps, etc and did get them up to butcher size but I had to get pretty dam hungry before I'd ask my wife for a pork chop. :yuck: Now I just pump the grain to them and drool every time I see them. It's not cost effective but it IS worth it.
Also, it pays to spend a bunch of time with them when they're young. My current sow was a show pig and if she doesn't come when I call her I can have a kid go walk her back even if she has piglets with her. A few years ago we tried running a few commercial sows on pasture with piglets and I literally had to go out with the dogs and a shovel to protect myself to get them penned up.

rla442":2f0x7cp4 said:
Feeder pigs will be fine, weaners it will give them a heart attack, but you will probably get feeders.

trappersteve":2f0x7cp4 said:
Thanx tb I may keep a sow or two for breeding, do I need to feed them ant different . I don't want them too big for breeders probably about 300 pounds or so
Just don't feed breeding gilts any palean, which is in a lot of commercial finishing rations.
Breed her at 7 months, if the time scale for farrowing works out for you.

We do a couple of hogs a year, and a couple for my daughter and her family. Sturdy fencing can't be overstated. They are tough on everything. A big ol' mud is also a must. They do not like the extreme hat at all and if not careful you could lose a few. I have a sprinkler set up on a timer that goes of 3 time a day for 1/2 hour, and of course the mud hole in the shade. Best pork I have ever had. Can't eat store bought anymore! Good luck.

My market pigs always got a starter, a grower and a finisher. I was using ACCO feed at the time, but I don't remember the recommended weights when a switch was to happen. Experimented once and started my finisher about 30 days sooner than recommended. Ended up with the best pork I ever produced.

we raise two of pigs every year. I have a friend who raises show hogs and I buy her culls when they are 6 weeks old. Our pen is elevated on skids with a board floor and roof on one end. It is easy to keep clean and easy to load into and out of when it is time for the pigs to make the final journey. I fed a good quality pig feed that does not contain paylean nor medicated, plus they get our extra milk.
A fresh source of water is important too.
As the others said, homegrown pork is the best. I like the show bred pigs because they tend to be leaner with a lot of muscle mass. Tender and tasty!

Latest posts