Any experience selling on E-Bay?

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I'm considering selling a few items on e-bay. Is it easy to do? I'm sure I can run through the generalities, but are there any underlying things I might need to know? For example, one person told me to be sure and assign a tracking number to all items; if not, someone could just claim the item didn't arrive and you would have to refund their money.

Through what source do I receive my money as a seller?

I've never sold anything on eBay, but I've bought quite a bit of stuff. I think you're required to have a PayPal account. And that sounds like good advice about the tracking number.

I use Paypal for the financial part of it. It's connected to my bank account and has some security measures in place so you're not so apt to get screwed over. Always remember Pacific time when setting up an ending time for your auctions. You don't want them ending when those folks are at work. I'm sure there's more info that will be helpful, but that's what I got off the top of my head.

I require a cashiers check and wait for it to clear. I don't use paypal because of their posture on guns.

If you're new, a new account, with ebay PayPal will hold your funds for a few weeks(3 I think). Until you have a good number of customer feed back. At least that is my experience, I haven't sold anything for a couple of years on eBay.

dun":2tackxe0 said:
I require a cashiers check and wait for it to clear. I don't use paypal because of their posture on guns.

Or require a USPS money order. Its cheap and you know its good. Well as good as the government can be. Thats how I pay for any guns I buy online.

It has been a while since I sold on ebay, but below are a few things I remember.

1. Fees vary depending on auction start price. i.e. a $0.01 start price will be cheaper then a $10.00 start price. The higher you start (closer to what you want to sell the item for) the higher the listing fees is.

2. Buy It Now is an "option" and comes with a fee.

3. If the item does not sell, you don't pay anything.

4. Cheaper (free) to use Craigslist which is why I stopped selling on eBay.

I sell on ebay some, its a good way to clean out your closets of junk-helps out alot sometimes as long as you got something someone wants-the fees can be alot though for lisitng and re-listing got to watch that, you get 50 free listings a month too-and ebay does require you to have a paypal account they frown on sellers accepting checks and or money orders, mainly because they make zero then-people still do it, but its frowned on-what i don;'t like about ebay is that if you sell something and the buyer for whatever reason doesn't like it they can open a case and you have to take the item back even if you say no returns, some people can be pains in the rears-and if there is a dispute ebay always sides with the buyer eventually-they do offer 100% guarantee meaning if the seller doesn't refund ebay will,(for items not as described) but they like to make the seller refund first
Another thing I do not like about ebay is the fact that sellers can't leave buyers negative feedback but they can leave us negative and some people are very spiteful, but sellers can block people from buying from them so problem solved-
Anyways it can be fun but also can be a pain

I have sold on ebay however soon as craigslist came on scene it stopped. I sell a ton on craigslist dogs, firewood, trucks, Tractors and attachments, Grain drills.

My wife sometimes sells kids clothes on there. She puts a few outfits together, and calls it a lot. It's actually a point of contention between us. I think things like clothes should be given away.

skyhightree1":21yqd03n said:
I have sold on ebay however soon as craigslist came on scene it stopped. I sell a ton on craigslist dogs, firewood, trucks, Tractors and attachments, Grain drills.

Those are big items wouldn't be practical to sell them on ebaY-shipping costs would be too high

Bigfoot":18kjz2dh said:
My wife sometimes sells kids clothes on there. She puts a few outfits together, and calls it a lot. It's actually a point of contention between us. I think things like clothes should be given away.

Why not make some money on the used clothing-wear it once new and its used, may as well get some money out of it-to help out with more clothing purchases

GMN":2wuh5rso said:
Bigfoot":2wuh5rso said:

Why not make some money on the used clothing-wear it once new and its used, may as well get some money out of it-to help out with more clothing purchases

The point of contention is the time, hassle, and stuff sitting around to be mailed etc. I'd just toss in a receptacle for the needy. your right though money is money.

GMN":13vvpqac said:
If your wife deals with it all what's the work to you?It can be fun-a hobby
I did a poor job of explaining myself. I see clothes as a dead expense. I don't buy a shirt, jjust because I see a shirt I like. I buy a shirt, because my old shirt is wore out. The clothes themselves, are more the point of contention than than eBay.

Kids clothes are a different story. Kids outgrow clothes, before they are wore out. We shouldn't have a bundle of 10 Summer dresses to sell, that barely look worn. We should have a couple of pretty well worn dresses to give away.

I'm the every dollar you don't spend is one more you saved kind of guy.

Latest posts