ants

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
i have a terrible ant problem does anbody have any ideas on what i can use to control them.

They are almost as bad as hogs. You can't get rid of them, but you can curb their numbers.

If you go natural, diatomaceous earth (DE) works great. But if it rains, you have to put it down again. A 50 lb bag costs about $22 from the feed store. A 20 lb bag costs about $20. No kidding! :lol: Last two years during the drought I figured a 50 lb bag of DE is a lifelong supply.

If you go chemical, there are all kinds of poisons you can add to the pump up sprayers. Read the labels at the stores.

All of the broadcast ant baits seem to be a waste of time and nickels for me.

I've used "Terro" and it worked, bought it at a local hardware store. Not sure what kind of ants we had, but had them coming in our kitchen area. Terro got rid of them.

if you mix the poison (in powder from) with milk replacer powder they carry it down into the nests and you get a more complete kill.

Another option is to mix a liquid from poison with molasses for the same effect.

If its sweet ants that are getting in the house

I found that using the terro outside works great(even better than inside)
I have a ledge around the top of the foundation. A few times a year I run drops of Terro all round the house- haven't seen an ant in the house since- . After that I also switched to poisening the mice outside too. I now throw weather resistant rat bait under the house- it has almost eliminated the mice problem in the house.

Had some fire ants here. A couple of weeks ago I turned over the tops of the mounds with a shovel and poured in about a quart of gas. Lit em up. Let it burn for about an hour. Checked today and there was no sign of living ants.

just go to the local store and buy some ant killer, just about any kind works just fine, at least it does for me.

Latest posts