Antibiotics in feed, in the news

Help Support CattleToday:

Seen it now.

Same old elephant in the room... no mention of the high use of these antibiotics in human medicine which also contributes to resistance in pathogens that affect humans *and* animals.

As for the previous thread here on discontinuing the use of cephalosporins, there's been an article published by Dairynz that I can't find on-line, but the gist of it is that farmers may not be allowed to use these classes of drugs as they have been used in the past. If that process continues it will require some considerable management changes... or do we simply accept poorer health in our cattle?

I do not think that the banning of antibiotics in feed in such an issue. Much better to use ours brains, stop miss use of antibiotics and to use them to treat real disease. This being both in humans and animals.

We have taken things for granted, it works so use it across the board. We forget about cleaning, rotation, common sense and use a single thing till opps it causes an issue. Then there is an over compensation, that causes a whole heap more issues. Better for farmers to voluntary withdraw the use of antibiotics in feed and make sure we can use the ones we need to keep animals well.

This shouldn't hurt the average producer and might get rid of another unwanted stigma producers must face. Most common antibiotics put in finished feed are included at such a low rate there is no benefit from them to begin with AND cattle build up resistance to them over time. If you have cattle that need antibiotics pen them and doctor them individually with injections which do a much better job on the various illnesses.

TexasBred":yuyuj81f said:
This shouldn't hurt the average producer and might get rid of another unwanted stigma producers must face. Most common antibiotics put in finished feed are included at such a low rate there is no benefit from them to begin with AND cattle build up resistance to them over time. If you have cattle that need antibiotics pen them and doctor them individually with injections which do a much better job on the various illnesses.
In the fescue belt it's common to feed minerals with CTC to help counteract the negative affects of the endophyte.

That's an exception and is a group treatment as well since the group is all consuming the same thing. Major feed companies put out medicated feed all over the country and dealers convince everyone they need it. Mainly it's a good reason for the dealer to increase the price of the feed $20 a ton for $.75 worth of medication.

Surely I am not the only one that sees the more troubling issue here. Another example of a federal judge directing public policy from the bench.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Theodore Katz ordered the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to begin proceedings unless makers of the drugs can produce evidence that their use is safe.

If they can't, then the FDA must withdraw approval for non-therapeutic use of those drugs, the judge ruled.

This is a matter for Congress and/or the President to address thru legislation and/or regulation, not a matter for a judge to determine. I always thought it was upon the plaintiff to prove they were harmed or damanged and not the defendent to prove they weren't. This has no place in the court system unless someone can prove specific damages against a cattle feeder.

it really is the word 'non-therapeutic' that raises alarm bells for me. Dun's example is a perfect one of a prophylatic use (don't have my dictionary within reach sp?) where although the drug is not being administered to a sick animal it is *virtually guaranteed* that the lack of such intervention will result in sick animals.
I've got no issue with removing medication from feeds where such medications are unnecessary (which depending on who you talk to it is always more harmful than otherwise but seems to me that whoever first added antibiotics to feed had reason for it), what I see in articles like this is the early steps towards the extremist view that 'disease challenge is evolution at work and should be permitted to kill off the weakest 90%'.
this followed by laws that complicate farming and don't improve animal health or welfare. The banning of estradiol to placate the markets is a fine example... we are simply advised to rear more heifers to replace those cows of poorer fertility who don't fit into a tight seasonal calving pattern and who we no longer have effective and cheap synch protocols for, plus a total ban on inductions still looming (also market driven). It's one thing to choose to farm without the drugs, quite another to be an average farmer and have one of the crutches that was holding your business up snatched away.

TexasBred":2mxftpk6 said:

I strongly agree. This is an issue near and dear to my heart. My MD family practice daughter says she is seeing antibiotic resistance even in children. Basic antibiotics no longer work as they did a few years ago. Requires ever stronger, more exotic and more expensive antibiotics to treat many things that were easily addressed in people a few years ago.

People misusing human antibiotics such as not finishing a course of drugs is part of the problem. However there is a strong indication that a low level of "background" antibiotics in almost every animal related food in the mass market is lso a very likely source of resistance build up in humans.

Whats the first thing kids order at a fast food place? Chicken strips, nuggets etc as finger food.Low cost industrial raised fast food chicken uses a lot of antibiotics to put it mildly.

And I strongly DISAGREE that this is a matter for congress to handle. They can't handle anything these days without it turning into pure politics. This is a health and science issue, not a political issue, regardless of how dear Fox news would like to portray it. Jmho.

Jim

Whats the first thing kids order at a fast food place? Chicken strips, nuggets etc as finger food.Low cost industrial raised fast food chicken uses a lot of antibiotics to put it mildly.

Jim[/quote]

I work for a company that produces fast food chicken. The company I work for does use antibiotics in most of the chickens we raise, but every customer we sell to requires us to test meat and fat samples from every flock for antibiotic residue. The flock must test negative before going to slaughter. The antibiotics that are used in poultry feed are not used in human medicine either.
With that being said I don't think people from the poultry industry should bash the beef or pork industry, and I don't think the beef or pork industry should bash the poultry industry. I think they should all work together to change some of the myths out there about eating meat and poultry because when regulations are passed it effects all of us.

I know I am new here and you folks don't know me. I own a few cows but I make my living from chickens. I'm not trying to criticize anyone just think that there no one meat producing industry that is to blame for antibiotic resistance. I believe antibiotics use in humans have alot to do with it also. I'm rarely sick and don't go to the doctor often, but I don't know if I have ever gone and not been given some form of antibiotic.

Latest posts