antibiotics and other drugs - for newbies *updated 11/26/14*

Help Support CattleToday:

Can anyone tell me. We have a heifer that is about a year and a half. She had a runny nose, boogery eyes and cough. I automatically figured pneumonia. So We gave her 40.5 cc LA-200 (no more than 10cc per injection site, so 4 injections). Per box instructions. I prefer sub que (not sure why). Anyway, today I went out & she has lumps where we injected her. As big as my fist (luckily I don't have big hands). But they are large and kinda warm & seem to be sore/tender. Is this normal?? Should I contact a vet? Or by someones recommendation,I should do hot compress on them??.. Any help would be awesome, she is our daughters show dairy heifer...

LA usually leaves lumps. If you have to retreat her use a real antibiotic available from the vet.

I've had to give my calves LA 200 and Penicillin and as Dun said they usually leave lumps. You can simply rub the area or run cool water over it. Depending on how often you give the injections the lumps go away within a week or so. Make sure to monitor and see if the symptoms are going away. If not talk to your vet.

LA 200 may leave lumps, as do other antibitotics and several vaccines.

Use a 3/4 inch long to 1 inch long needle and make sure you are getting completely under the skin when making your injection. If you are not completely under the skin, it will usually leave a larger lump.

Personally, I like Tetrudure better than LA 200. Doesn't seem to lump up as bad. More expensive though.

For resperitory things I usually go with Batril 100 or Micotil. Both are better than Tetrudure or LA200

For baterial infections other than respritory, I like pennicilian.

If you've already used up 4 injection sites, you will be running out of room on the neck area. You may consider main lining. If you do not have experience, get your vet to show you. Can be a better method for getting antibiotics into the system quicker. Use much less of it through this method. DO NOT TRY this if you do not have experience with this method.

Greg

SF":dmf33qtv said:
If you've already used up 4 injection sites, you will be running out of room on the neck area. You may consider main lining.

? :???:

I prefer IM injections in the neck. Less bumps. Not sure I would use LA 200 with your symtamoligy though. We also use 300LA more medicane, less dosage, lasts longer in there system. Good Luck.

SF":dkulmuny said:
LA 200 may leave lumps, as do other antibitotics and several vaccines.

Use a 3/4 inch long to 1 inch long needle and make sure you are getting completely under the skin when making your injection. If you are not completely under the skin, it will usually leave a larger lump.

Personally, I like Tetrudure better than LA 200. Doesn't seem to lump up as bad. More expensive though.

For resperitory things I usually go with Batril 100 or Micotil. Both are better than Tetrudure or LA200

For baterial infections other than respritory, I like pennicilian.

If you've already used up 4 injection sites, you will be running out of room on the neck area. You may consider main lining. If you do not have experience, get your vet to show you. Can be a better method for getting antibiotics into the system quicker. Use much less of it through this method. DO NOT TRY this if you do not have experience with this method.

Greg
=======
Greg,
Help me with ..."mainlining". Please give some details?
Thanks,

SF":3pf3gur9 said:
You may consider main lining.
Greg

Main lining. Ok, to me that means delivering an antibiotic IV - are you out of your mind? :shock: Apparently, it never occured to you that there is a reason that drugs come with a very clear label as to how to administer them.

We have a 2 year old heifer that is coughing and having a hard time breathing. She's gettin kind of weak as well. We gave her a round of LA200, about 55cc's. She got a little better and started deteriorating again a week later. Just gave her another round today. Seems I should give her a boost more often. How often can I doctor her? Should I try penicilen?

Jon

What you should try is a serious antibiotic like Nuflor, Excenel, etc. You will have to get them from your vet

some of these new pneumonias don't respond well to la or pen. around here they have been having good luck with draxxin, but you do have to get it from the vet. they will usually give you the amount you need in a syringe. have seen some with lungworms that have a hard time coughing & breathing

Draxxin is the best. Especially if you don't have time to waste. However, it does cost 25% more but you wont have to re-administer it.

LA-200 is more beneficial in IV. Many feedlots use that method when they are late to a calf. Dont try this method if you dont know how.

Dont use LA-200 with Pen - they will cancel each other.

Dont worry about bumps.

Is the heifer bred? If not, add some Dexamethasone with B12 to cheer her up.

I gave my weaned calves a shot of la 300 subque in the neck and 4 of them have swolen up real bad anyone know how long it will take to go down or what i should do

rocky61":1f9nfivy said:
I gave my weaned calves a shot of la 300 subque in the neck and 4 of them have swolen up real bad anyone know how long it will take to go down or what i should do
Could take a couple of weeks, might never go completely away. One of the drawbacks of the LAs

Formulation matters. I pay more to get Biomycin instead of using Oxy LA because it is easier on baby calves. As often as not they are reacting to the carrier, not the drug itself.

As dun stated earlier use Nuflor. It is more expensive and you have to buy it from a vet but it packs a pretty good punch. Micotil also works good but be CAREFULL when you use it. It can kill you graveyard dead if you accidently inject yourself. Make sure you have a good restraint system for the cow when using it and wear leather gloves.

As for the lumps I found that it is helpfull to rub the injection sight right after administering the drug. I used to get lumps but a vet showed me that rubbing the sight can help reduce lumps. It works.

basumarpo1610":1vt4qha5 said:
We have a 2 year old heifer that is coughing and having a hard time breathing.

She's gettin kind of weak as well. We gave her a round of LA200, about 55cc's. She got a little better and started deteriorating again a week later. J

ust gave her another round today
Get some real antibiotics from your vet.
The heavy hitters may be more expensive per CC then the the LA or penicillians they usually turn out cheaper because you use less of them and it doesn;t take as many treatments

andreajones021":1e9m9iqe said:
I've had to accord my beasts LA 200 and Penicillin and as Dun said they usually leave lumps. You can artlessly rub the breadth or run air-conditioned baptize over it. Depending on how generally you accord the injections the chastening go abroad aural a anniversary or so. Make abiding to adviser and see if the affection are traveling away. If not allocution to your vet.

doooo whaaaaaat??? :shock:

Latest posts