antibiotics and other drugs - for newbies *updated 11/26/14*

Help Support CattleToday:

La-200 is a hot antibiotic and does give a burning sensation to the animal and will give a lump most times. We use Bio-mycin 200. Its a lot smother does not burn and usually never leaves a lump. Plus its cheaper too.

I have few cows that are coughing and am afraid they getting sick, pneumonia. Used excenel on one of them already but am afraid might have to treat others. I think most of them are bred except a few maybe. What would be best, excenel or nuflor. Worried that they might all get sick and really would be a disaster for me. Any suggestions. Here in Nebraska weather is crazy now, warm in the day and below 30s at night. Please help.

Weather related pneumonia is tough to treat. If they are Dairy cows I would go with Excenel due to 0 milk withdrawal. If Beef go with the Nuflor or Polyflex would work for your purpose. Sounds like your catching it early. Hopefully its bacterial and the antibiotics work. A guy I know uses CTC Crumbles every year when they start coughing and has really good success with it. Might be easier if your dosing the whole group? Hope you get it under control quickly.

How about use of the medi-dart opinions on that.. For pasture injection for cattle with foot rot

BadgerlandReds":1iknkczj said:
Sometimes they will just have bumps form the La 200 or vaccines. Sometimes they go away and other times they don't. I had the same problem. My one show heifer to this day still has a hard lump on her neck from a shot of La 200 from when she was a calf. I heard you can cut them and drain out the liquid if they are still soft. But then you are opening up room of bacteria and other things to get in. It's like us having an abscess or cyst. Like I said-sometimes they just happen but I heard that if you massage the area where you injected (right after injecting that is) it helps to avoid lumps forming.

How long do you massage the area for?

Warrenb":dnxtjhqj said:
How about use of the medi-dart opinions on that.. For pasture injection for cattle with foot rot

We have thought about using medi-darts. The issue I have is most of the drugs I use need to be put under the skin. This is hard with a dart. I prefer to give the injection and that way can control how and where it is administered. I might use on once a year but can't justify the cost for such little use.

I have a 4 week old calf with a navel infection from what I have read I need an antibiotic my local feed store has penicillin, how much should I give him ? He is a 4 week old holstein.

Hello,

If you are planning on vaccinating or injecting the newborn calves with antibiotics, you should take out some time to understand what antibiotic resistance is and how it can affect both human and cattle.

This refers to the situation where bacteria grow strong or resistant to the power of antibiotics. This happens when you use antibiotics to treat viral infections and/or overuse antibiotics for every other bodily condition.

This can lead to an increased number of infections among both. To understand how this phenomenon unfolds you can refer to https://factdr.com/healthy-living/common-diseases-could-be-fatal/

It is imperative that you discuss this with your veterinary first.

I have a cow with a retained placenta. I've been waiting her out as recommended by fellow farmers however she has started showing signs of sickness, what appears to be the onset of scours as well as loss of energy, loss of appetite,etc. I have no vet in the area and have asked others. Question is LA 200 the right antibiotic to administer or shouldI use something else. Obviously with no bet close I need to be able to purchase over the counter. Thanks

Lsweto said:
I have a cow with a retained placenta. I've been waiting her out as recommended by fellow farmers however she has started showing signs of sickness, what appears to be the onset of scours as well as loss of energy, loss of appetite,etc. I have no vet in the area and have asked others. Question is LA 200 the right antibiotic to administer or shouldI use something else. Obviously with no bet close I need to be able to purchase over the counter. Thanks
Take her temp first. If she has a fever, Banamine or aspirin boluses will help. LA200/300 would work if she has an infection but the last time I had a cow with RP my vet recommended penicillin; it cleared right up and she bred back no problem.

Thank you TC RANCH. I found out this morning that a friend is going to have a vet in town so I have set up a farm visit. Hope all turns out well

Latest posts