Another Thing To Worry About!

Help Support CattleToday:

circlet

Reaction score
Maybe some of you have heard of this, I never have.

A guy in our neck of the woods had 2 cows drop dead on Tuesday, another 1 on Wednesday. He said they really didn't show any symptoms of being sick at all (however I will say he doesn't pay as much attention as I'd recommend - but anyways...), they just pretty much up and died with little or no warning.

A vet examination showed that they had a blood disease, it is not caused by ticks/lice, but is spread by them, so apparently one cow had this disease and then shared some ticks or lice with some of it's friends. It's supposed to stay pretty localized within a herd, so supposedly the rest of us don't need to worry. They had to vaccinate every animal in the same pasture. I got the information kind of far down the line, so don't know what exactly the blood disease was. But now I'm kinda curious, since I couldn't get ahold of the vet today, just wondered if anyone had ever heard of this type of thing?

circlet":gkfh6uyr said:
Maybe some of you have heard of this, I never have.

A guy in our neck of the woods had 2 cows drop dead on Tuesday, another 1 on Wednesday. He said they really didn't show any symptoms of being sick at all (however I will say he doesn't pay as much attention as I'd recommend - but anyways...), they just pretty much up and died with little or no warning.

A vet examination showed that they had a blood disease, it is not caused by ticks/lice, but is spread by them, so apparently one cow had this disease and then shared some ticks or lice with some of it's friends. It's supposed to stay pretty localized within a herd, so supposedly the rest of us don't need to worry. They had to vaccinate every animal in the same pasture. I got the information kind of far down the line, so don't know what exactly the blood disease was. But now I'm kinda curious, since I couldn't get ahold of the vet today, just wondered if anyone had ever heard of this type of thing?
I would diffenitly find out what it is for sure so you can plan ahead cause when fly season comes back around you could be next.

Anaplasmosis (gall disease) was the culprit. I'm not a Vet or an expert on this disease all I know about it is what I read last night, but an animal that's sick with this cause will stop eating or milking and get a high fever. So I guess maybe the animals didn't just "up and die" like i reported earlier! But, maybe some of you have some knowledge about handling this that I don't.

It is common in the south. I feed CTC in the mineral to prevent it. I was always told that horse flies were the biggest carriers of it. We see it in August and September mostly. A cow can die pretty fast. The first sign is being anemic. Loss of color in the eyes and teats and nose. Will turn yellow. Then they will start walking in circles and fighting you. At that point it is about over. You can bring them out of it if found in time with LA 200 but they will abort if bred.

Latest posts