Another tax break for the 1%

Help Support CattleToday:

That is just sad... Punish those that try to be successful. IMHO this is important business, and needs to be fixed. GO Rubio.

I feel like mister contrarian today. IMO income is income and all of it should be taxes at as low a rate as possible. If a hard working truck driver has to pay tax on the $25,000 lottery winnings why not. I of course understand the rah rah nature of the Olympics.

So the total, for all olympians that win, will be less than $700,000. If they were at a 35% rate, that is a whoppping $250K? How many billions are we spending on interest alone? How much does one jet trip cost?

I heard Phelps was going to have to pay something like $48,000 and the total as of this morning was somewhere around $320,000. Douglas, I agree. Income is income and I think EVERYBODY should pay their fair share.

Douglas":3u25t4jg said:
I feel like mister contrarian today. IMO income is income and all of it should be taxes at as low a rate as possible. If a hard working truck driver has to pay tax on the $25,000 lottery winnings why not. I of course understand the rah rah nature of the Olympics.

I agree.

Douglas":3fcmlbbg said:

Well, if you tax the medals then the training, coaching, travel expenses along with any other expenses that contributed to the winning the medal should be tax deductable....

I imagine most athletes do not have a reasonable expectation for profit, so hobby expenses are deductible up to the income - if you itemize and to the extent it exceed 2% of agi. So some may be deductible.

I didn't realize they got cash, either. A Michael Phelps will owe millions on his endorsement income after the games are over. The USA can settle for that, I think. I read a story (since forgotten so no link) about how much parents put into raising an olympian, so all the deductions would outweigh any taxes in theory.