Another Longhorn Question

Help Support CattleToday:

TagandKiss

Reaction score
I was thinking about this and was wondering if you all could tell me. ok here goes. I was wondering if its ok to run a steer out in a pasture with cows and heifers? Dont know if a steer would act different then from a bull o_O thanks :)

It's fine to have steers and cows together. Bascially, steers pretty much act like cows do. They don't raise Hell like bulls do when they want to get out and breed something.

We've only had a problem with one steer when a cow came in, but this steer was pushing 2800lbs. but we've ran other steers in with the cows and bull and had no problems.

thanks. if i was to get two young heifers. lets say just weaned or a yr old. should i get a steer that lets say 2-4yrs old to protect the heifers from stray dogs and coyotes? we have had problems with stray dogs killed my goat and my pig two different times :(

Before I invested in anymore livestock I'ld invest in a good rifle and take care of the maurader problems.

dun

yea we got some good guns for that. did kill the dog that killed my gaot a few yrs ago. we havnt had livestock on the farm for like 5yrs nows. so i dont know if there still be a problem i hope not.

TagandKiss":7vhkihp4 said:
thanks. if i was to get two young heifers. lets say just weaned or a yr old. should i get a steer that lets say 2-4yrs old to protect the heifers from stray dogs and coyotes? we have had problems with stray dogs killed my goat and my pig two different times :(

From our experience with mixing Longhorns, I feel it is best to keep similar aged cattle together that are under 12-18 months old. Larger animals in the group may bully the others and give them a hard time when feeding...lot of shuffling around.

Yes, steer should act more or less like a heifer or cow...not real interested in breeding. However, they can be used as a "gomer" animal to assist in detecting heat in an open female.

With Longhorns, even little ones are pretty aggressive toward a cat, dog, or other smaller animal that gets in their area. However, if you have a coyote problem or wolf, would not want anything younger than about year old to "defend" the cattle area. They need to be big enough to give the predator a fatal swift kick in the a$$.

a steer will not protect them at all, if you get recently weaned calves you will need real good fences. anything can spook them right thru a good fence

o_O chasing cows is no fun -_-' I have done that plenty of times. I rather chase pigs then cows lol. So maybe get 1yr olds then probally be my best bet.

TagandKiss":1qbp77nn said:
o_O chasing cows is no fun -_-' I have done that plenty of times. I rather chase pigs then cows lol. So maybe get 1yr olds then probally be my best bet.

I can remember when I was 5-9 or so I'd pray on sundays in church that we'd get to chase cows in the truck that day... that was the highlight of our days.....

lol i remember we had three horses get lose. couldnt find them they where down by the highway when we found them. thats what scares me the most them getting hit and hurting someone. at least pigs they are a smaller be like hitting a dog.

Latest posts