Another horiffic day in NC!

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":10meo6fu said:
They would be fairly easy to eradicate as they only raise two chicks a year versus hogs having three litters.

Yep. I would rather have the black vulture than the feral hogs.

Farm Fence Solutions":5faglyhl said:
Breed a little ear or some horn into your replacements. Mothering up is just as important a trait as calving ease and milking good, IMHO.

The best protection is an aggressive mama. But there is a happy median on that. I have one that runs off everything that comes in the pasture, dogs, deer, turkeys, house cats, coyote it does not matter. I hate to see her go because of these traits but I am fixin to put wheels under her as she has turned into a head hunter when you get her in a pen.

hillbilly beef man":ikueb039 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":ikueb039 said:
Breed a little ear or some horn into your replacements. Mothering up is just as important a trait as calving ease and milking good, IMHO.

The best protection is an aggressive mama. But there is a happy median on that. I have one that runs off everything that comes in the pasture, dogs, deer, turkeys, house cats, coyote it does not matter. I hate to see her go because of these traits but I am fixin to put wheels under her as she has turned into a head hunter when you get her in a pen.

We have one like that. Decided to keep her forever. LOL

Over here in FL we have the black vultures and turkey vultures. I have no problem with either. I saw a video on YouTube of black vultures chasing a cow trying to get at the afterbirth. If you ask me this is a learned behavior and they quickly associate these downed calves and the birthing fluid scents as an easy meal. I wonder if maybe we have just enough roadkill around here to keep them busy since I have never seen them around a cow calving before or after. I have seen them lined up behind a turtle on a bank digging a hole to lay her eggs made me kind of sick to think all that work and everyone of those eggs will be eaten as they are laid.

Seems no different then a line of black vultures behind a cow as the calf breaches. If I had the problem I would get that permit and trap and shoot daily. I bet just getting the permit is like jumping through hoops. Sorry for your loss

a bline, a couple buddies with shotguns, and a carcass.. my goal would be that any that come down never fly again.. thankfully we dont' have them here.. we have a pair of ravens and they are territorial and good with the cows and calves, so I'm better off with a known pair around.. and they're bloody hilarious to watch too

Harassment goes a long way. If you can find where they are roosting in the evening, shoot at them even if to far to hit. Hanging a dead one or just laying it out spread winged seems to help.

They have a lot in common with feral hogs. Shoot at them enough and they will move on. Shoot a hog, grab a couple beers, and then hide out 100 yards away with some .22 hollow points. Just don't put the results on Facebook.

Latest posts