Another horiffic day in NC!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I'm so sorry, that would have been a horrific experience! Fortunately we don't have black vultures here so I can't offer any suggestions but there have been some recent threads about them.

Bad deal I hate those things, sorry for your luck. If you want to put a dent in the population using poison or a trap is the only way to accomplish that. Goat panels wired together with a couple of holes 1' holes on each end will work. Baiting the trap with a couple of deer carcasses might also work. You can also buy poison for controlling pigeons and crows and just grind it up and spread the poison on the carcass of your choice.

Had vultures all over one the other day. Don't know if it was born dead but didn't look like it. Gonna try to get one or two and hang them around. These are mature cows in this group but most have gone into the cedars to have them. Still it is getting pretty bad. They were using some deer carcasses to trap them just outside of town last year. Couple of fence panels made into a cage type thing with the vultures "walking in" and then they couldn't get out fast enough as they were too gorged on the carcasses. It was like 2 panels wide 2 panels long so like a long low cage with a small opening on one end they had to go in. Too low to fly up at all. HATE THEM.....

Breed a little ear or some horn into your replacements. Mothering up is just as important a trait as calving ease and milking good, IMHO.

Hate that. They are increasing here, too. A constant threat. Dead deer on the side of several roads near and they pester cows and sheep. There needs to be no protection for them. They are predators.

I'm glad they don't seem to be a problem here in Michigan, but I'd be killing those SOBs if I were you and every chance possible!

Dogs and Cows":2pq1shs1 said:
farmerjan":2pq1shs1 said:
Had vultures all over one the other day. Don't know if it was born dead but didn't look like it. Gonna try to get one or two and hang them around. These are mature cows in this group but most have gone into the cedars to have them. Still it is getting pretty bad. They were using some deer carcasses to trap them just outside of town last year. Couple of fence panels made into a cage type thing with the vultures "walking in" and then they couldn't get out fast enough as they were too gorged on the carcasses. It was like 2 panels wide 2 panels long so like a long low cage with a small opening on one end they had to go in. Too low to fly up at all. HATE THEM.....

I have heard hanging them around works...does anyone have any direct experience with this?

Thanks!

Tim

It does. I have never done it because I do not have a problem with it but I know of companies that have permits that do it for their power plants, etc., as they nest on the towers.

You can apply for a special permit now that you've lost one. Take pictures of the birds and dead cow. It will help you get a permit. Shoot a couple. Hang them on an easy to see area. Most people hang them on a powerline if you have one. It will keep them away.

Dogs and Cows":28pj5ofn said:
farmerjan":28pj5ofn said:

I have heard hanging them around works...does anyone have any direct experience with this?

Thanks!

Tim

Tim the only real solution is lead applications under constant extreme prejudice. Traps are fairly effective.

As far as getting a dog, the Pyrenees that we had, she was great at chasing them out of the pastures, but she died a few months ago. It takes time for the dog to be raised & trained, but it certainly helps.

I cannot be with my animals 24/7. I have a few small groves of cedars & pines, that I have left alone for them for shelter. Most of mine have "learned" to calve in those sheltered areas. A few months ago one calved in the open but by the time those ba$tard$ showed up, the calf was up and she took him into the trees.

All I can advise, is vigilance. Harass them at any & every opportunity, SSS, traps, any & everything you can think of as often as possible.

NonTypicalCPA":2a9a1t7y said:
I'm glad they don't seem to be a problem here in Michigan, but I'd be killing those SOBs if I were you and every chance possible!

They are becoming a problem in parts of southern Illinois so they are headed your way!

mwj.....what part of southern Illinois are you seeing them in? I am in Fayette County near Vandalia and fortunately I have only seen turkey vultures around here. Thanks

Its the smaller black ones they are more aggressive, than the old mom and pop turkey..had one swoop down and try to grab my old barn cat..right before she ran under the bush hog...think they are from Mexico..

sassafras manor":f0g3h1b8 said:
mwj.....what part of southern Illinois are you seeing them in? I am in Fayette County near Vandalia and fortunately I have only seen turkey vultures around here. Thanks

The articles in the paper were talking SE, could have been around the DixonSprings area. They did not name the county.

Tim, I don't think you can shoot enough of the birds to make your calves safe. There are too many. I move my cows up to the headquarters to calve. The ones you shoot are replaced by others that are occupying habitat in more remote areas.

I would embrace a government plan to remove protection (they are not given endangered species protection). Even a bounty program would be fantastic.

SSS! Every opportunity you can! Harass the living crap out of them. I've thrown out groundhog carcasses and then shot at them while they were coming in to eat it. They will move on, it just takes some diligence on your part.

ALACOWMAN":zu7c5m6p said:
Its the smaller black ones they are more aggressive, than the old mom and pop turkey..had one swoop down and try to grab my old barn cat..right before she ran under the bush hog...think they are from Mexico..

we had the red head ones here they didn't do a thing. the black ones moved in and KILLED all the red headed ones. I was mowing the red headed ones left and right in the field last year.. the blacks ones came into there nests and wiped them out.

mwj":2rztaza6 said:
sassafras manor":2rztaza6 said:

The articles in the paper were talking SE, could have been around the DixonSprings area. They did not name the county.
I'm on the Edwards/Wayne line, none here yet. A buddy of mine who rides in Shawnee a lot told me he has riding friends who are having trouble with them, in the Saline, Pope, Hardin county area. They'll get to me before you, I'll give you a heads up when they do.

Dogs and Cows":1ljyz7fj said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1ljyz7fj said:
Breed a little ear or some horn into your replacements. Mothering up is just as important a trait as calving ease and milking good, IMHO.

Yea, pretty sure eared cattle are just as vulnerable. My cattle have great mothering ability...but they can't fend off 10 to 20 of these birds. I do believe Caustic has issues with them...and he has eared cattle.

Then I'm with everybody else. Kill em all! FWIW, we used to have a calf or two a year get killed out of the Angus cow herd.....Coyotes or dogs I'd guess, but maybe a cat? We run everything together now (Longhorns and Angus cows) right in the middle of a dense population of coyotes and cats, and have not lost one since we mixed the herds. We haven't had any trouble like that our of the buzzards, and I hope it stays that a way. Good luck with them.

https://www.fws.gov/southeast/faq/vultures/

Excerpt:

Because both Black and Turkey vultures are federally protected migratory birds, a federal authorization (permit) is necessary to legally "take" them. However, a permit is not necessary to "harass" or otherwise disperse or discourage vultures from using areas where they may be a potential threat to livestock.

I wonder if any of the national cattle associations are working toward the "removal of protection". It would not be unprecedented although it might take a concerted effort. As ddd75 said, in our area they are replacing the turkey vulture which is detrimental. We don't have feral pigs in our area but from reading CB's posts, it does not seem like killing them has removed the problem. The same may be true of black vultures.

PS: the bolding function is still not working. Typing the code in is required.

Latest posts