another EPD question

Help Support CattleToday:

9 ER

Reaction score
Im understanding EPDs more and more, but I dont know how they are derived. How does a person obtain EPD's on an animal? Are EPDs only for purebreds? For instance, If I buy a bull or cow and it is not for certain if it is purebred or crossbred, is there a way to find out?

9 ER":1qkz9n1m said:
Im understanding EPDs more and more, but I dont know how they are derived.

EPDs are created from performance information reported by producers to breed associations. The Angus Assn calls it the AHIR program. Other breeds have other names, but basically, I weigh all my calves at birth, weaning, and yearling, report that data to the Association and they add it to thousands of other reports, run it through a sophisticated math program, add them to the millions of records collected for about the last 30 years, and come out with EPDs. Remember the "E" stands for expected.

How does a person obtain EPD's on an animal? Are EPDs only for purebreds?

Official EPDs are only created by breed associations. In the past, some individual breeders of cattle whose association was not producing EPDs, came up with EPDs on their own cattle. I can't say how reliable those were and don't know if anyone is doing that now, since most breed associations produce EPDs for their members.

Some breed associations are registering crossbred animals and calling them something. The Limousin group registers LimFlex (a Limousin/either color Angus cross), Maines have the MainTainers, etc. I haven't paid much attention to them, but I do think they offer EPDs on those animals.

But all EPDs are not the same. They're only as good as the data behind them.

For instance, If I buy a bull or cow and it is not for certain if it is purebred or crossbred, is there a way to find out?

The only way to know for sure if an animal is purebred is to ask the breeder. Not all of our bull customers are interested in receiving the registration papers on the bulls they bought, but we transfer them anyway. In at least one instance, the bull was sold again and THAT owner wanted those papers. He came to us and we were able to give him the registration # of the bull and he contacted the Angus Assn and got papers. But I don't think there's any way to just look at an animal and be positive that he is (or isn't) purebred. Most registered animals have some kind of tattoo, but it would be tough to trace that in any large breed association.

9 ER":bfsy67sj said:
Thanks Frankie, So in order to have EPD's they must be registered?

Yes. Having said that, anyone can sit down and say"this cow's sire had a BW EPD of 2. Her dam was a Hereford with a BW EPD of 6 and her sire was a Murrey Grey without EPDs. So we can take half of the Hereford, 3, add it to the bull's EPD of 2, divide by 2 and come up with an approximate EPD for this cow." But that's not a real EPD. Official EPDs are based on trait heritability estimates, data reported on siblings, half siblings, dam, sire, etc.

Analysis of beef records for EPDs for the majority of seedstock cattle in the United States occurs at four universities: Colorado State University, Cornell University, University of Georgia, and Iowa State University. Producing EPDs is expensive and requires a lot of computer power that most breed associations can't afford, so they use the universities.

The Angus Assn has a program called Beef Record Service (BRS) for commercial producers. When I log onto my Angus account online, BRS and AHIR reports are listed side by side. I've never looked into the BRS because we're enrolled in the AHIR program. But it's there for anyone who wants to participate. You don't have to own Angus influenced cattle.

From the site:
"BRS provides a system for commercial producers to keep performance records on their animals, regardless of breed composition. These records can be used as valuable decision-making tools to enhance ranchers' profitability."

Here's the link http://www.beefrecords.com/

I hope this helps....

frankie...good advise.

Two decades or so ago...a tattoo...brand generally represented purebreed...but not any more...with theft,etc...many ranchers are branding animals. Now there is no way to determine except with registration.

Frankie":3bc4s8m9 said:
9 ER":3bc4s8m9 said:
Thanks Frankie, So in order to have EPD's they must be registered?

Yes. Having said that, anyone can sit down and say"this cow's sire had a BW EPD of 2. Her dam was a Hereford with a BW EPD of 6 and her sire was a Murrey Grey without EPDs. So we can take half of the Hereford, 3, add it to the bull's EPD of 2, divide by 2 and come up with an approximate EPD for this cow." But that's not a real EPD. Official EPDs are based on trait heritability estimates, data reported on siblings, half siblings, dam, sire, etc.

Analysis of beef records for EPDs for the majority of seedstock cattle in the United States occurs at four universities: Colorado State University, Cornell University, University of Georgia, and Iowa State University. Producing EPDs is expensive and requires a lot of computer power that most breed associations can't afford, so they use the universities.

The Angus Assn has a program called Beef Record Service (BRS) for commercial producers. When I log onto my Angus account online, BRS and AHIR reports are listed side by side. I've never looked into the BRS because we're enrolled in the AHIR program. But it's there for anyone who wants to participate. You don't have to own Angus influenced cattle.

From the site:
"BRS provides a system for commercial producers to keep performance records on their animals, regardless of breed composition. These records can be used as valuable decision-making tools to enhance ranchers' profitability."

Here's the link http://www.beefrecords.com/

I hope this helps....
Thanks again, I'm getting there!

9 ER":2bv11oc5 said:
Thanks again, I'm getting there!

I know you are. Keep asking questions; there's no reason to make the same mistakes some of the rest of us have made when we'll be glad to warn you away from them.

Latest posts