Another dead deer

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
So last night the dogs barked and barked. Wife said they were barking at 3:00 in the morning. At 6:30 she went out with a flashlight. Came back and said she saw a coyote run off. When I went out to feed at daylight I let the dogs out and they ran to the west field. I walked out there to see what was up. Blood and gore all over the place. A few remaining deer parts but not many. Didn't see any cat tracks just coyotes. Left a message with the neighbor. He came over this afternoon. We back tracked the attack. It looks like coyotes attacked a deer (spring fawn) on the east side of the house (60-70 feet from the house). At one point the deer was in the backyard maybe 30 feet from the house. Lots of blood there. Found where they finally took the deer down by the corner of the shop. There is a trail where they drug the deer eating on it. The only thing left was the portion of the spine with some ribs attached. That was 200 feet from the kill site. They ate the whole deer. Must have been half a dozen of them to be able to eat that much.
Pic #1 The final kill site
Pic#2 The trail where they drug the deer. That sticking up to the right of the dogs is the spine and ribs.
Pic#3 At the kill site I turned and took a picture of the house. That is how close this was and this is about the farthest point in the whole attack from the house.

P1033074.JPGP1033075.JPGP1033076.JPG

We had coyotes crapping on the lawn and yapping at the house all night the first couple of years. Got a Pyrenees bitch for a yard dog and she keeps them out and makes them stay at least 3-400 yards from the house and barn.

If you can't get it to load, some town called Nahant Mass has 'a problem' with about 10 coyotes. Some have asked the feds to come in a shoot them. Others in the town are horrified at the prospect of govt 'sharpshooters'.
[partial copy of the article]

NAHANT, Mass. — When coyotes approach children playing in the park, as they do with unnerving frequency in this tiny coastal town north of Boston, Kellie Frary springs into action, trying to drive the animals off while another adult quickly gathers Ms. Frary's day care group.
"I don't want to have to make that phone call, to tell a parent, 'The coyote picked your kid,'" said Ms. Frary, a lifelong resident of Nahant, where 3,000 people inhabit one square mile.
No humans have been harmed by Nahant's coyotes, estimated to number about a dozen. But after the disappearances of more than two dozen pets in roughly two years — and reports of three brazen, fatal attacks this year on leashed dogs accompanied by their owners — the town is ever more on edge. Its isolated geography — Nahant is essentially an island connected to the mainland by a narrow, 1.5-mile causeway — contributes to the sense of menace felt by some residents.

Compact, densely populated and surrounded by water, it is a hard place for coyotes to leave, and a hard place for them to remain mostly invisible to humans, as they often do in cities and more sprawling suburbs, wildlife experts said.

Earlier this month, Nahant's three-member Board of Selectmen voted to enlist federal sharpshooters to track and kill some of the coyotes, making Nahant the first municipality in Massachusetts to seek the expert help through a new state partnership with the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Opponents have argued for a more humane approach, hoisting handmade "Save The Nahant Coyotes" signs near the causeway into town.

Francene Amari-Faulkner, a resident who has organized protests against the plan, said false claims and exaggeration have fueled hysteria and a rush to drastic measures. "If the town brings in sharpshooters, it's going to be a bloodbath," she said, "because then other towns will say, 'We can do that too.'"

(and there's a downside to this?)

While a coyote problem on a peninsula jutting into the sea may be less than typical, human aversion to the species is well established. Coyotes have long been viewed as a nuisance, and millions have been poisoned, shot and trapped by frustrated or frightened humans trying to control their population.But their signature trait may be their persistence. By the 1950s, they had pushed east into Massachusetts; by 2000, they were present everywhere in the state except the islands of Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard, according to the state Division of Fisheries and Wildlife.

Tony Barletta, Nahant's town administrator, takes pains to remind residents there is no going back: Coyotes will remain, long after a handful are eliminated. And like it or not, residents will have to find a way to live alongside them.

"We fully expect to have them here in town," Mr. Barletta said at a meeting of the Board of Selectmen last week. "Just because you're afraid of coyotes doesn't mean it's a problem, and that's a tough thing to explain to residents."

Be it right or wrong yesterday morning I watched a coyote walking among my cows hunting for mice and didn't shoot it.. It came through one small field with 22 6wt calves and they barely looked at it. I had the scope on it and could have easily shot it at 50 yards. I hope it wasn't a mistake to not shoot.

We had coyotes crapping on the lawn and yapping at the house all night the first couple of years. Got a Pyrenees bitch for a yard dog and she keeps them out and makes them stay at least 3-400 yards from the house and barn.
We have a pair. Most gentle dogs I've ever seen but they HATE coyotes and foxes.

The only thing left was the portion of the spine with some ribs attached. That was 200 feet from the kill site.

Mine found what they left!

10-29-22 Conan 04.jpg

That was the second spine/ribcage he brought home, which I thought was kind of coincidental. Oh, and a couple of legs. So might ours have also been coyote kills? I assumed they were old carcasses left by trophy hunters that just took the heads, but we do have several resident coyote packs around us. It was so weird that it was the entire spine (or most of it) and the ribs. Nothing else.

Be it right or wrong yesterday morning I watched a coyote walking among my cows hunting for mice and didn't shoot it.. It came through one small field with 22 6wt calves and they barely looked at it. I had the scope on it and could have easily shot it at 50 yards. I hope it wasn't a mistake to not shoot.
the way I see it, if coyotes are sighted during daylight hours and/or with in a couple hundred yards of the homestead they are a problem and will only get more aggressive. they are good for cleaning up road kill but when a pack takes down an animal, wild or domestic there is definitely to many in the area. just my opinion.

Mine found what they left!

View attachment 24562

That was the second spine/ribcage he brought home, which I thought was kind of coincidental. Oh, and a couple of legs. So might ours have also been coyote kills? I assumed they were old carcasses left by trophy hunters that just took the heads, but we do have several resident coyote packs around us. It was so weird that it was the entire spine (or most of it) and the ribs. Nothing else.
With the cougars and coyotes killing deer here, my dogs are constantly bringing in bones. When the snow melts in the spring my wife will pick up half a wheel barrow of bones in the lawn.

the way I see it, if coyotes are sighted during daylight hours and/or with in a couple hundred yards of the homestead they are a problem and will only get more aggressive. they are good for cleaning up road kill but when a pack takes down an animal, wild or domestic there is definitely to many in the area. just my opinion.
I only shoot them if there's too many around or if they're getting brazenly close to the main human footprint of a place, which I don't consider "a couple hundred yards" to be. I almost shot one yesterday, but he wouldn't turn for me and a bullet not spent confidently is a bullet wasted.

Around here the only ones that get shot are the ones that stand still long enough for someone to shoot them. I don't know a single rancher who doesn't have a rifle in their rig.
We have an increasingly high population here, I shoot them on those grounds. The reason I'll shoot them if they're brazenly close to the main footprint of a living area or farm is because here they'll rob ya blind of anything they can get and carry off, pets and small livestock included.

They'll raid trash like dogs will, hell I've seen them steal pet food out of bowls.

At times here they will hire a helicopter with a shooter to significantly reduce the population.
Sounds fun.
You will definitely want some practice runs before trying it for real. Comparatively easy shooting ahead of the flight direction, 90 deg to flight direction not so much. The bullet has forward momentum relevant to the helicopter's forward air speed.
There's a movie segment where a door gunner tells someone he has to lead his target. Whoever wrote that script was full of feces. You have to lag any target off at an angle while the helicopter is in significant forward motion relative to the ground and it is quite difficult to hover a loaded helo outside of ground effect.
I have the tee shiirt...

Last edited:
At times here they will hire a helicopter with a shooter to significantly reduce the population.
we have hunters that run dogs. they do very well in reducing the coyote numbers. a few guys run snares too. still get plenty replacements. not sure how many pups each can have but it seems to replenish the numbers.

In our area the county has put a bounty on coyotes and wolves. That bounty has decreased the last few years, but it's one way to encourage farmers or trappers or hunters working on behalf of farmers to reduce the numbers of Wileys and wolves at least a bit.
I don't mind them, because they clean up whatever is dead and keep the deer population down, as long as everyone stays out of my yard and away from our cows. Once they loose fear and hang around too close..............pew pew.

It would have been a mistake to shoot that coyote. It was doing what it is supposed to do, keep the rodents under control. When I lived on a ranch years ago in South Dakota, we never bothered the coyotes and they never bothered our cattle. The coyotes would walk right among the grazing cattle catching and eating mice and grasshoppers - so they were a rancher's best friends, I would say.

It would have been a mistake to shoot that coyote. It was doing what it is supposed to do, keep the rodents under control. When I lived on a ranch years ago in South Dakota, we never bothered the coyotes and they never bothered our cattle. The coyotes would walk right among the grazing cattle catching and eating mice and grasshoppers - so they were a rancher's best friends, I would say.

I'm glad you can speak so well between where you are and a part of the country where they are bigger, more predatory, and exist in numbers that they have never existed in there before, including pre-european contact.

we have hunters that run dogs. they do very well in reducing the coyote numbers. a few guys run snares too. still get plenty replacements. not sure how many pups each can have but it seems to replenish the numbers.
Do they run and catch them with greyhounds. I have watched videos of greyhounds catching them.

Latest posts