Annual Grazing Crops-Wheat or Other?

Help Support CattleToday:

NorCalFarms

Reaction score
I just leased a piece of ground (around 20 acres) that I might be able to purchase later, but I don't want to establish it into grass until I know. Since I am short on pasture this summer anyway, I was thinking of planting it into some annual crop that I can graze this summer/fall. Don't really know much about grazing crops other than grass, I know some people graze wheat or triticale in this area.

Looking for something I can just drill (it is bare ground currently) and let it grow until this summer when it gets hot and the grass doesn't grow as fast, then graze it to give my pastures a rest. Anybody know if wheat will work? How soon can you graze, does it have enough protien? It is irrigated and I would like to be off of it by September so I can establish grass if the deal goes through. Anything better than wheat that has cheap seed? Any ideas appreciated.

NorCalFarms":2u1wlnal said:
Looking for something I can just drill (it is bare ground currently) and let it grow until this summer when it gets hot and the grass doesn't grow as fast, then graze it to give my pastures a rest. Anybody know if wheat will work? How soon can you graze, does it have enough protien? It is irrigated and I would like to be off of it by September so I can establish grass if the deal goes through. Anything better than wheat that has cheap seed? Any ideas appreciated.

We've grazed our cows on volunteer barley over the winter and they did fine, but it wasn't headed out. The biggest problem I see with your plan is that, depending on what part of the summer you're planning on putting the cows into this field, the wheat will probably be headed out and close to being ready for harvesting. Under those circumstances you don't want to use wheat because of the beards (they will make the cow's mouth sore) and whole wheat is not an acceptable feed for cattle - it can cause problems. I think barley will do the same thing, I'm not sure about oats. I hope this helps.

Talk to your local seed salesman. I am sure he has alot of suggestions. A rye grass blend with rape or clover or turnips added sounds like the best option for your summer/fall annual mix.

lets see if you want to summer gaze id plant pearl millet or sudan grass.this will give you alot of grazing into the fall.an since you dont want to put it into perament pasture.then in the fallplant wheat an clover.or wheat an rye grass mix.to get you alot of fall grazing.

Go find someone that sells Triticale. It is a cross between rye & wheat that alot of people use up here for your same situation. Just be aware that the stuff can get 5 to 6 feet tall, but cattle will still graze it.

It's best to get it growing up to about 2 feet, graze it hard, get off it for a couple weeks and then get on it again in the fall before you seed.

Talk to someone down there that sells seed and they should be able to help.

Latest posts