Angus x

Help Support CattleToday:

tdc_cattle

Reaction score
If I bred a black angus cow with a red Beefmaster bull what are the chances that the calf will be red?

On whether the cow carries the red gene. If she does then 50% of the calves should be red when she's crossed with a red bull. If she's homozygous black then all of her calves will be black when crossed with a red bull.

I guess I didn't realize that all black angus weren't homo black, homo polled.

I'm wanting to cross my Beefmasters with angus and get black calves. I guess the "angus" I bought last year werent homo black. Probably more likely the seller used angus to mean black. So far I've got all red calves. Want to make sure if I do buy some more angus cows that I'll be getting black calves out of the cross.

I've noticed that a lot. People thinking they are gonna get all black calves just because their cows or bull is a Black Angus or being labeled a black angus. There is a red angus. I'm sure a red angus has bred a black angus somewhere, therefore creating a heterozygous black angus. A Heterozygous Black Angus Cow mated with a red beefmaster are gonna give you some red calves.

So I bred a red Beefmaster bull to a homo black angus cow and it has a black calf. If I bred that calf to a red Beefmaster bull will its offspring be black?

I have never had anywhere near half red from a red bull on black cows. Only time I have had more red calves out of a black cow was when I used a hetro black bull on hetro black cow. Just what I have had happen here. The next persons results may not be the same.