Angus & Waygu cross

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
We AI four pure Angus cows with some Waygu semen ($50 a straw). It wasn't my idea but the older cattleman that I partner with said lets try it and see how it turns out. He has registered and commercial Angus and I sell most of his freezer beef for him. Anyone have experience doing this and if so how did it turn out?

I have some good friends that are doing this on a pretty large scale. Check out there webiste at http://www.sweetwaterplantation.com/. It is my understanding that they have had very good luck with the Angus/Waygu cross and i think they are now raising some purbred Waygu but I am not 100% sure.

A curiosity: Unless a wagyu or a wagyu cross is fed to achieve it's full potential (expensive to do), what's the point?

dun":331rr1al said:
A curiosity: Unless a wagyu or a wagyu cross is fed to achieve it's full potential (expensive to do), what's the point?
Again, wasn't my idea so I guess the point is to see how they turn out. If I remember from my limited reading the Waygu are fed a special diet in Japan, can or is this reproduced in the States?

dun":103b8byd said:

Dr. Steve Smith (et al) did a small study at Texas A&M that showed that Wagyu could reach marbling well beyond prime on a forage/hay diet. Their counterparts on grain achieved even higher marbling and in a shorter time, but forage fed animals did very well.

The breeders in the US for the most part are not following the feeding program that is done in Japan, the cattle still marble extremely well. If the angus cow isn't a decent cow, don't expect the offspring to grade prime, but if the cow typically produces choice, the offspring will most likely grade prime. Angus seems to be the best cross when crossbreeding.

Latest posts