Angus- Watusi/Longhorn cross

Help Support CattleToday:

See how folks trash other people's cattle on here if they aren't black? I try not to throw off on other breeds but on here if they aren't a certain breed and a certain color they are worthless. I personally don't care for Angus or any of the other breeds that have been made black because of them but I do see how people would want to try to raise them as they are the going trend at the sale yard. So I guess my question to the bashers is this. So would you really wait until a heifer is three years old to breed her just to breed her to your great black bull? I would seriously doubt that anyone on here would do that. Must have alot of money laying around to put into them without any return. To be honest with you I figure that these guys are probably breeding their heifers too young and if they would wait for them to mature thay might be able to breed them to their own bulls. But who knows? I don't have much experience with Angus, we had them when I was a kid and I have none with Brangus. So who am I to questions the experts?

i breed mine at 15 months ... and not having alot of money laying around is the reason i use angus............ am i a puppet???? cant afford not to be if i were rich id be pumping out brahman/ hereford F1'S

Rustler9":3u0ktjve said:
See how folks trash other people's cattle on here if they aren't black? I try not to throw off on other breeds but on here if they aren't a certain breed and a certain color they are worthless. I personally don't care for Angus or any of the other breeds that have been made black because of them but I do see how people would want to try to raise them as they are the going trend at the sale yard. So I guess my question to the bashers is this. So would you really wait until a heifer is three years old to breed her just to breed her to your great black bull? I would seriously doubt that anyone on here would do that. Must have alot of money laying around to put into them without any return. To be honest with you I figure that these guys are probably breeding their heifers too young and if they would wait for them to mature thay might be able to breed them to their own bulls. But who knows? I don't have much experience with Angus, we had them when I was a kid and I have none with Brangus. So who am I to questions the experts?
Our heifers are bred at 15 months to either a Hereford or Red Angus bull. Red Angus if they are mostly Hereford or Gelbvieh (or registered Red Angus) Hereford if they are mostly Red Angus or Simmenthal.
The last calf we pulled was a couple of years ago from a 4 year old that went 2 weeks over and we pulled a 125 bull calf. It wasn;t a hard pull and I think I just jumped the gun and she hadn;t completely dilated yet. All of our heifers are measured for pelvic as yearlings before we make the final decision if they will go to the feed lot or be used for breeding.

Rustler9":c9nmvkih said:
Breedign a brangus heifer to a longhorn isn't going to give you much return either. Pretty worthless calf. I'm not bashing your longhorns. Just don't have any use for them myself and see too many longhorn influenced calves literally given away every sale day.

Rustler9":11orq00w said:

only one i hear bashing other folks stuff is you....
just this week I posted a link on another thread to photos of my two years olds and their babies....straight angus....all born alone and unassisted as expected. I also expect those heifers to bring me a 600 lb calf next spring. Mid April. and be pregnant to an ai service.

Seems to me that those of you who are here to make a living in cattle are best served by raising what the market will pay the best for. If we wake up tomorrow and red or white is the color of the day we'd see quite a shift in herd composition.

The Angus Association has done a bang up job of marketing their breed.

TennesseeTuxedo":3fazz3bs said:
Seems to me that those of you who are here to make a living in cattle are best served by raising what the market will pay the best for. If we wake up tomorrow and red or white is the color of the day we'd see quite a shift in herd composition.The Angus Association has done a bang up job of marketing their breed.
if i wake up tomorrow, and that were the case,,, im staying with what im doing... no more chasing rabbits for me consistantcy is what im workng toward.... cookie cutter cattle.. just like a factory

243.JPG

that is a pretty good looking LH X BULL. The problem is going to be the wild colored calves that wont sell very good.if u can afford to use what u want then u should.it can be kinda exciting waiting to c what color calf u get.just wont b 2 exciting when it comes time to sell them.

I'm not dependent on my cattle for income it's just a hobby for me and to keep beef in the freezer. I got the LH bull from a friend by chance and to be honest I really like having him around. He's a hell of a conversation piece and with a 4 ft spread at 2 I'm pretty excited to see just how big he does get too! He's actually quite friendly too. H walks right up to me and loves his head scratched.

ohiosteve":zgrdoeks said:
I'm not dependent on my cattle for income it's just a hobby for me and to keep beef in the freezer. I got the LH bull from a friend by chance and to be honest I really like having him around. He's a be nice of a conversation piece and with a 4 ft spread at 2 I'm pretty excited to see just how big he does get too! He's actually quite friendly too. H walks right up to me and loves his head scratched.
In that case nothing else matters. Enjoy your cattle and have fun. ;-)

ohiosteve":2955fh12 said:
My main reason was for nice healthy smaller calves from my first calf heifers

Why not just do what all the cheap jerks around here do. Buy a $800 corriente bull and breed him to your heifers and then try to fool the order buyers on sale day.

TennesseeTuxedo":39dmcm07 said:
Good grief Loin, you any kin to Doc Harris?

You sure as heck don't know enuf about Doc Harris to be runnin him down on this forum!

3waycross":2iad4ob7 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2iad4ob7 said:
Good grief Loin, you any kin to Doc Harris?

You sure as heck don't know enuf about Doc Harris to be runnin him down on this forum!

Not running Doc Harris down at all 3-way. I posted on a thread some while back and Doc lit me up for not being knowledgeable about cattle (which I freely admit) in much the same way Mr. Loin did on this thread. I'm well aware Doc has a tremendous amount of book knowledge on cattle and the cattle industry albeit very little actual hands on experience. I believe he even taught classes in agriculture at an esteemed Junior College somewhere. At least that's how it was explained to me in a PM from a long time poster on this forum.

Hope that clears it up for you.

pdfangus-Sounds like you are doing a good job managing your cattle and congrats to you, maybe you should read through previous posts including this thread to see references to Longhorn and Watusi, pos etc....I don't think you've ever read anything I've posted in reference to someone's cattle calling them a piece of s%*t even if I thought it.....sorry I do take offense to my breed of choice being called that so that's why I get defensive................sorry.

Latest posts