Do Angus suck?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definitely

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
TxStateCowboy":3vsbe5bo said:
cow needs about 50% more energy(food) to produce full milk for her calf and maintain original body condition.

can grow a calf using less than 50% of cow's diet.

i think that is the logic of many early weaners.

also, cow may breed back earlier, or better chance breeding back on time.
sounds more like someone not using their cows to their full potentail or have some poor momas. if mine cant raise one to atleast 6 months and breed back to calve in a year. she leaves.

Ya'll can quit talking bad about my black angus cows anytime you get ready. ;-)

guyrob":hxhgu4u8 said:
It is widely believed that angus are a good breed. this is not so! they are the bane of the beef industry and should all be ritually sacrificed. What do you think

Joke or not, this isn't even worth responding to, so I won't. You never saw this post.

John Wayne":2beu9upj said:
To answer the question I would say YES at least mine do for about 3 months then they go on hay and/or pasture. And we start all over again.

I wean at 4 months not saying this is the right method for anyone it works for me.

Caustic Burno":ihrqjskh said:
John Wayne":ihrqjskh said:
To answer the question I would say YES at least mine do for about 3 months then they go on hay and/or pasture. And we start all over again.

I wean at 4 months not saying this is the right method for anyone it works for me.

Why 4 months? You wean em that early every time or just in the drier years?

NamVet_Farmer44":f8v3m7c2 said:
Caustic Burno":f8v3m7c2 said:
John Wayne":f8v3m7c2 said:

Old arguement I figure I get nearly as much money off a 400 pound calf versus a 600 pound calf. Secondly I am reducing the feed requirements for a wet versus dry cow. In my feeble mind I can run more cows as those 600 pound calfs are eating a lot of grass also.

This is just my thought process. I think along the lines of maximizing grass to maximize cows.

Check out the price difference in what a 400 pounder brought at the salebarn versus a 600 pounder. I adopted this strategy as part of a drought control method for pasture I read in 98 and have stayed with it.

Caustic Burno":29pesrot said:
NamVet_Farmer44":29pesrot said:
Caustic Burno":29pesrot said:
John Wayne":29pesrot said:

Old arguement I figure I get nearly as much money off a 400 pound calf versus a 600 pound calf. Secondly I am reducing the feed requirements for a wet versus dry cow. In my feeble mind I can run more cows as those 600 pound calfs are eating a lot of grass also.

This is just my thought process. I think along the lines of maximizing grass to maximize cows.

Check out the price difference in what a 400 pounder brought at the salebarn versus a 600 pounder. I adopted this strategy as part of a drought control method for pasture I read in 98 and have stayed with it.

Has that method been working good for you? The last few years, i've been selling my vealers a little heavier than I used to, used to sell them after about 7-8 months...used to wean all the calves after that long, but now i've been selling them straight from their momma, about 10 months old or so...pasture never get too bad here, even during a drought because every drop of water we have here runs straight off the mountain to the pasture...so I aint had much problem with them staying with their momma for up to 10 months...Sounds like you got a good program set up though...whether it's a drought or not, if there's a drought here and my fields do happen to get real bad...i'd have to change everything :lol: ...Looks like I might need to start thinking of a new program just in case

I agree with you Caustic. Sell the 400 pounders for maximum dollars and move them on down the line. You'll be dollars ahead here in the Eastern U.S. The cow has more time to recover for the next one. Seems to work here in North Carolina.

NamVet_Farmer44":2lu80qf9 said:
Caustic Burno":2lu80qf9 said:
NamVet_Farmer44":2lu80qf9 said:
Caustic Burno":2lu80qf9 said:
John Wayne":2lu80qf9 said:

Has that method been working good for you? The last few years, i've been selling my vealers a little heavier than I used to, used to sell them after about 7-8 months...used to wean all the calves after that long, but now i've been selling them straight from their momma, about 10 months old or so...pasture never get too bad here, even during a drought because every drop of water we have here runs straight off the mountain to the pasture...so I aint had much problem with them staying with their momma for up to 10 months...Sounds like you got a good program set up though...whether it's a drought or not, if there's a drought here and my fields do happen to get real bad...i'd have to change everything :lol: ...Looks like I might need to start thinking of a new program just in case

Different enviroment here as we are fighting heat which has a set of unique problems. I think it has worked well for me, I do tend to hold winter calfs a little longer due to improved weight gain versus summer calfs.

The buyers at Siler City NC really like the small "feeder" calves. You can loose up to 40 cents per pound if you keep them to 650 pounds. It's just not worth it here.

Caustic Burno":oy09dbg3 said:
NamVet_Farmer44":oy09dbg3 said:
NamVet_Farmer44":oy09dbg3 said:
John Wayne":oy09dbg3 said:

Different enviroment here as we are fighting heat which has a set of unique problems. I think it has worked well for me, I do tend to hold winter calfs a little longer due to improved weight gain versus summer calfs.

It stays pretty cool here most of the year, It gets, what I consider hot, for about a month here every year...the rest of the time it aint too bad, thank God, I'm too old to be putting up with all of them heat problems

What breed you run anyways? Tried different breeds to get a heavier 4 month WW?

we're getting very off topic here, please limit your responses to the uselessness of angus cattle, and how they should be eradicated

Well even though me and my dad tend our cows wrong, and they are poor doers I did say ABOUT 3 months. Now I never did count the exact # of days but you can bet your last dollar I do weigh them and for me the magic # is 400 lbs. Thought I was on topic the "vacume ability of Angus cattle". The word uselessness did'nt come up till the 3rd page of the thread. I'm going to stop responding to or reading this topic now cause I did'nt join this board to argue about such things.

guyrob":1xsodpz6 said:
we're getting very off topic here, please limit your responses to the uselessness of angus cattle, and how they should be eradicated
yeah what were we thinking. we need to get rid of this black cancer. thats been a mainstay in the beef industry since forever. up or down. good times or bad angus will always have a place at the head table like it or not.