Angus longhorn cross

Help Support CattleToday:

damengineer

Reaction score
I got a longhorn bull 2 years ago. 2 yrs old, great disposition, and also a good protector of the herd. Had 10 first calf heifers and no calving problems. Had 20 live calves from 20 cows. Problem was when sale time came, we took a $200/head discount due to the longhorn. Despite all the hype about the better meat etc. Do I just accept the fact that I will get a lousy price for my stock, or what can I do to get a decent price for my calves? They are all in great condition and weigh about 700 at sale time.

Sell LH crosses at 200 to 250 pounds before they begin to show the influence. Better yet, quit making them if you want the money.

You don't say what color the calves are. That said, buy a different bull... perhaps a Hereford or a Simmental bull?

Breeding the heifers to a LH would be an acceptable loss to me. Breeding the other 10 would not be.

There are enough breeds which produce calves suitable for heifers the choice of breed would be dependant on your climate and local market, some British and African Sanga breeds are the most common types considered for heifer bulls with saleable calves.

It's always hard to put all the work into raising your calves and have them get docked like that. If you could try sell them off the farm, or raise some of the calves for beef, you might be able to get more per head from them.

Your never going to fool the order buyer at his own game. Any cowman worth a pinch of dried up monkey shyt can see the LH influence in 1/2 calves.
The feed lots genome mapped the breeds years ago on feed gain efficiency. Sorry the LH doesn't have it never will. Your expecting front pasture prices for back forty cattle.

Has anyone fed out a LH/Angus cross? What was the meat like? One of the best steaks I ever ate was from a Buffalo!! Great flavor and so tender you could cut it with a fork. My LH cows can stay fat on nearly nothing to eat, I would think that they would not need as much grain. I understand the less fat, but the new diet conscious meat eaters want less fat. If I had the land I would keep 2 bulls but it is not possible with the small herd and land. I use some rotational grazing to be able to handle the number of cws/calves I have.
This fall/winter has been the wettest and coldest for the last 40 years. We have water running from the south facing slopes we used for protection from the wind since 75.. The main pasture I use for winter feeding is beginning to look like a feedlot. Wheat pasture is less than 3 inches high and we have'nt been able to pasture anything. Feeding hay and cubes, with 17 calves on the ground and doing fine. All born within 2 weeks. As far as disposition and calving goes, this LH bull is the best bull I have had in almost 60 years of raising cattle. Just cannot say enough good about the bull.

Latest posts