Angus Holstein X

Help Support CattleToday:

Daisy452

Reaction score
I bought a Angus Holstein Cross heifer to breed her and show her as a commercial heifer. Now Im 16 and new to the cattle world, people have been telling me that she will die during calving, or her calf will die. Also they say she won't show well. If you could give me your imput and advice I would apprieciate it.

Well I cant tell you about the showing, but there is absolutely no reason she or her calf should die in calving based upon the cross. Who told you that? I think I would start finding someone else to look towards for advice.

The hubby has 8 of them and 5 were first calving heifers this year. None of them had problems in having their calf.

I would guess it would depend upon what breed you bred them to for first calves.

Hi Daisy!
Are you in Apple Valley CA?? If so we are neighbors... Kinda...as the crows fly :lol:
I'm not sure why someone would tell you your calf will die?? What reason did they give you? The showing part I'm not sure of either. Are you showing her breeding beef or the replacement program? Did you get her from a dairy or a private party?
Some more information from you might help us give you better advice.
Welcome here and don't get upset over what one person's opinion is!!

3MR":140jhubu said:
Well I cant tell you about the showing, but there is absolutely no reason she or her calf should die in calving based upon the cross. Who told you that? I think I would start finding someone else to look towards for advice.

Yeah i did find someone else to get advice from.

ALACOWMAN":3oyjcsvj said:
dont know how she would do in a show. but what reasons are they giving for her calving problem's

The reasons for calving is just her genetics, but there are no physical problems with her, it just freaked me out someone would say that.

rancherswife":12o6myfh said:
Hi Daisy!
Are you in Apple Valley CA?? If so we are neighbors... Kinda...as the crows fly :lol:
I'm not sure why someone would tell you your calf will die?? What reason did they give you? The showing part I'm not sure of either. Are you showing her breeding beef or the replacement program? Did you get her from a dairy or a private party?
Some more information from you might help us give you better advice.
Welcome here and don't get upset over what one person's opinion is!!

yup i live in Apple Valley Ca. They gave me no reason why she would die or anything like that they just said shes going die. Ill be showing her in Beef, they want allow me in the Replacement Heifers. I got her from a private party. She a strong burger, she has great angus muscling she looks just like an angus but she has a holsteins butt. She's only 5 months old so shell grow out of that, once i figure out how to put pictures up ill show you her.

Those Holstein X beef bulls are what are called around here "Hillbilly hybreds".
Years ago we had a herd of all F1 Angus or Hereford X Holsteins. They raised multiple calves at the same time but that was on irrigated pasture. In hat time frame there wasn;t the dock for light #2 and #3 muslce like there is today. Most of those F1s were bred to a Santa Gertudis bull and those offspring were some real power cows.
We never had calfing or maternal problems with any of the F1s, or their offspring for that matter. Only remember pulling one calf and it was a backwards presentation.

dun

dun":1n3yr03m said:
Those Holstein X beef bulls are what are called around here "Hillbilly hybreds".
Years ago we had a herd of all F1 Angus or Hereford X Holsteins. They raised multiple calves at the same time but that was on irrigated pasture. In hat time frame there wasn;t the dock for light #2 and #3 muslce like there is today. Most of those F1s were bred to a Santa Gertudis bull and those offspring were some real power cows.
We never had calfing or maternal problems with any of the F1s, or their offspring for that matter. Only remember pulling one calf and it was a backwards presentation.

dun

Thanks for your information

We have some and they make good mama's! We've never had any calving problems either. Good luck with yours!

The only thing i would think to look for would be to make sure she has wide hips but she is still young and has a lot of growing to do. Be sure to put up some pictures so we can see the cutie! I'm sure she'll have beautiful babies.

Latest posts