Angus heifer size

Help Support CattleToday:

smallrancher

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can help me out here. I'm wondering what the average height should be on a year old heifer, so how tall should she be at breeding? Thanks

smallrancher":c9vfq22a said:
Just wondering if anyone can help me out here. I'm wondering what the average height should be on a year old heifer, so how tall should she be at breeding? Thanks

Hi smallrancher, welcome to the boards! Although short, squatty heifers are not really desirable as breeding animals, when to breed is dependent on the weight of the heifer, not her height. You would want her to weigh about 65% of her mature weight before you breed her. So, assuming she will weigh around 1100 pounds as a 2-3 year old, you would want her to weigh around 715 pounds at breeding. I hope this helps. Just my thoughts.

Personal opinion but we like to calve as two year olds. We turn out the bull in late May for March calving...higher temps but still no flies. Our cows and heifers are on that schedule but have considered a two season claving to get more out of the bull groceries.
Anyway our girls are usually 850 plus at breeding...go by weight of the animal and when you want your claving season.
DMc

Depends alot on your bull size as well, those smaller heifers would be alright with a heifer bull or younger smaller two year old bull but you wouldnt want to use a bigger bull with smaller heifers, and if you are AI'ing you are set :cboy:

BlackBaldyMan,

I put a registered black angus bull on some black angus heifers (average weight 810 lbs) The bull is just a 17 month old bull now but had hoped to use him on heifers next summer to. But he will be alot heavier bull then. He is a low birthweight bull EPD + .4 In your opinion do you think because of his size he would not be good to use on say 800 lb heifers next summer ?

Ehh, kind of a judgement call but we have used 3yr old bulls on heifers before, probably wont hurt but it depends on how big they get. I was referring to using like a 7yr old 2500lb angus bull or somthing like that, I would probably do it but like I said its a judgment call.

Alright, thanks everyone. Guess I'm pretty new to the beef. I have two angus heifers about 47" tall and have no clue what they would weigh. Guess I'll have to splurge and spend the $2.50 for a weight tape. :)

Latest posts