Should I cull her sooner or later?

• Cull this year?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • See how she does with Second calf?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

aplusmnt

Reaction score
I have a Fullblood Angus heifer that had a calf end of January 10 weeks later the calf is growing like a weed, he is doing really good. He is out of a easy Calving PB Maine bull (Ali).

But the heifer is really falling apart, she has droped in conditioning quite a bit. I am feeding her a little grain to keep her from going to far down. My other heifers that are 3/8 Maine and 5/8 Angus are holding condition real good and raising good calves also.

Would you guys cull a heifer for dropping so much, or would you wait and see how the next calf does when she has quit growing so much herself? She is out of a very easy keeping mom and her sire is Bushwacker.

If I'm understanding you right,(you refer to her as a heifer) this is her first calf. Sounds like she's doin a good job raising her calf. Almost all cows will lose some weight raising calves, especially a large one. I wouldn't be too quick with the cullin knife. Why not rebreed her for next season and see how she does, then decide.

To me, the deciding factors will be if she breeds back with the rest of them, AND raises the calf really well to weaning. If she breeds back & raises a calf, I really wouldn't worry about her condition. She has fall & winter to get into shape for next year. The next calving/breeding season will be the hardest (at least that's what I think). My 2 yr olds go into calving season in great shape, they lose weight after calving, but breed back no problem. Next year, they are still stressed from this years calf sucking them down & still growing.

So I didn't answer the poll, because if she doesn't breed back, I'd cull her after weaning. If she does, and raises a good calf, she's a keeper.

How bout a picture of her to see how much she has really dropped in conditioning. :idea: That might help.

Jeanne has it 100% right. If she breeds back on time she's a keeper, if she doesn;t she's a shipper

dun

I have to agree with Jeanne too. She may be your most thrifty.

I have a cow that looked very thin after her first calf. I thought I was going to get a visit from the SPCA. She just gives everything to her calf.

Good luck with her.

aplusmnt":1sv00bg6 said:
I have a Fullblood Angus heifer that had a calf end of January 10 weeks later the calf is growing like a weed, he is doing really good. He is out of a easy Calving PB Maine bull (Ali).

But the heifer is really falling apart, she has droped in conditioning quite a bit. I am feeding her a little grain to keep her from going to far down. My other heifers that are 3/8 Maine and 5/8 Angus are holding condition real good and raising good calves also.

Would you guys cull a heifer for dropping so much, or would you wait and see how the next calf does when she has quit growing so much herself? She is out of a very easy keeping mom and her sire is Bushwacker.

Sounds like she is doing her job you mention heifer also is she two and teething also.

She calved exactly at 2 years old, within a week or so of her birthday.

Don't have a picture of her currently, don't have digital have to develop and scan but If I can get one I will, but the thread might be dead before that happens.

She is went into calving with good BCS, I am bad at figuring them out but say a 7 and has dropped to a 5 maybe.

First straight Angus heifer we have had and kind of surprised me how much she dropped. Our Cross heifers have did so much better. Must be the Heterosis vs Fullblood Angus.

She is supposed to be losing her weight, she needs to give it to the calf through her milk, the ones that don't should be culled, oh and if she breeds back like Jeanne said thats kinda important too. IF she does, I will take her if you don't want her. :D

KMacGinley":3g1t1o2b said:
She is supposed to be losing her weight, she needs to give it to the calf through her milk, the ones that don't should be culled

You are saying I should cull my other heifers that are raising nice calves but not dropping much in conditioning with just hay and what little grass is starting?

Tough choice....figured out why the condition loss...just being a two year old mother or could she have picked up some internal parasites along the way. IMO I'd have a look at the manure...heck, it's almost time to worm anyway.
We have one second calf cow that is on the cull list, breeds easily, calves easily and is a real easy keeper...but has small calves that don't have the gain they should. First calf was is steer that is a 850# yearling...can't grow dollars with small calves. DMc

It's been my experience that the best milkers & thus the heaviest calves come from cows that do loose quite a bit of body condition from freshing to weaning (have you ever seen a fleshed out Holstein). I said best here, there are many very good producers in my herd that will loose only mildly (those that loose none are likely to be poor milkers & are culled but only because of the calf's 205 number). I call those that raise a good calf while only going down a little as easy keepers or easy fleshers. It's in the genes - some are more efficient than others at maintaining condition while producing milk.

Ideally, a cow will maintain her body condition, breed back and raise a great calf. IDEALLY isn't always what we get - it is hard to expect all 3 of these thing out of a 24 month old calving female. My cows hold their condition, but heifers have a harder time. BUT, bottom line will be IF she breeds back, and it sounds like she's already doing a great job with her calf. She may always be a "hard do-er" or might hold her weight as a COW.
I don't CULL based on BCS unless it interferes with their performance.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1a1hl3yu said:
Ideally, a cow will maintain her body condition, breed back and raise a great calf. IDEALLY isn't always what we get - it is hard to expect all 3 of these thing out of a 24 month old calving female. My cows hold their condition, but heifers have a harder time. BUT, bottom line will be IF she breeds back, and it sounds like she's already doing a great job with her calf. She may always be a "hard do-er" or might hold her weight as a COW.
I don't CULL based on BCS unless it interferes with their performance.

We had one heifer that sunk to skin and bones as a first calver, bred back first service and weaned a calf over 600 lbs. As a second calver she did the same thing but the calf was a little bigger. since then she has maintained her condition while still raising one of the 2-3 heaviest calves.
The key point I think is breeding back. The vet laguhed about who poor a BCS a heifer/cow could be in and still breed back on time. Paraphrasing his comment "So much for all of the research"

dun

aplusmnt":31pvpk15 said:
KMacGinley":31pvpk15 said:
She is supposed to be losing her weight, she needs to give it to the calf through her milk, the ones that don't should be culled

You are saying I should cull my other heifers that are raising nice calves but not dropping much in conditioning with just hay and what little grass is starting?

Uh, No. What I am saying is that good milkers will give their weight to the calves, the fat ones usually don't milk so hot. :D

I don't know what a nice calf means? Polite, not mean, cute?
:D

If they end up performing as well as your skinny cow and she doesn't breed back then I would keep them and sell her.

IF they don't wean as big of calves and you must sell something sell them. Unless their nice calves are ok, then keep them. :)

If skinny outperforms them and breeds back, you should sell or better yet loan her to me on a long term basis. :D

Latest posts