Angus Heifer bull ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

What about the select sire Butkis bull? I've seen some of his calves and they look real good. GAR gridmaker is his sire and I think you wanted to stay away from them though..

Lazy M":kstsbmyp said:
What about the select sire Butkis bull? I've seen some of his calves and they look real good. GAR gridmaker is his sire and I think you wanted to stay away from them though..

Anything new age GAR isn't happening here. Some of the real old genetics are ok but I won't touch their stuff.

Jake":179vfuzv said:
Lazy M":179vfuzv said:

Anything new age GAR isn't happening here. Some of the real old genetics are ok but I won't touch their stuff.
Where did they go wrong in your opinion?

Lazy M":2385rh8d said:
Jake":2385rh8d said:
Lazy M":2385rh8d said:

Where did they go wrong in your opinion?

They gave up on everything an angus cow is suppose to be in chase of carcass. Feet legs udders maternal take a back seat to a scan number.

I agree. It seems like the higher $B value that a bull has the more he looks like crap..

Lazy M":37el42ob said:
I agree. It seems like the higher $B value that a bull has the more he looks like crap..
I would take issue with that, I have seen some very impressive looking bulls that are high $B bulls.
His daughters on the other hand.................

I don't know, seems like the ones I've seen with extremely high $B mostly look like fat steers

W.B.":26fsil4t said:
We have had good luck with s Summit 956, we will calve our first daughters in few weeks.
The bull is the best calving ease angus no one knows about.
Birth weights are very consistent as is the phenotype of his progeny. I know he is not a sexy carcass stud but I think
his daughters will be here a long time. Just a very underrated bull in my opinion.
Good call, his ce has improved. Just checked his new proof and he's now ced 13 (top 10%) -.9 bw .93 accuracy

Son of Butch":1i6xcgu3 said:
Baldie Maker":1i6xcgu3 said:
EF Commando
http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... 71&lang=EN

Schiefelbein Effective
http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... 40&lang=EN

Growth, moderate mature frame with milk in the mid 20's. Granted neither are at .9 of accuracy
Schiefelbein Effective is getting very close to .9 he's at 85% bw acc.
He has been a very popular A.I. sync bull among those selling bred heifers here in Minnesota the past couple of years.
Although I can't say I've ever seen any calves. But I've heard they really like his calving ease.
However his ww and yw epd numbers have fallen at least 10% since he was first released.

Got one Effective heifer calf out of a purchased heifer. Rumor is his calves don't have a lot of vigor but we did not see that. Ours was a very small calf, lower end weaning weight, now much smaller framed that her sim angus herd mates. Could be some Pharo blood in the wood pile?

ultra calving ease...to the extreme, rarely translates to power. Fertility is important for replacements
SC bottom 20% HP bottom 30% would make him a no go for me, but he certainly will give you calving ease.

Chocolate Cow":1o9dkng4 said:
With a +32 on milk and a -$17.85 Energy, I don't see any 'maternal power'. I see a bull who sires feed lot calves.

With that pedigree I would believe him to be far more maternal than his Epds say. Those hero cattle are flat good cattle

I was curious why some have commented negatively to comrade? I just bred several heifers too him, and until now I have never seen anything negative. Not impressed with his results?

Son of Butch":2nnhs0y7 said:
Jake":2nnhs0y7 said:
This one is not sleep easy kind of bull but I've been told the BW are coming in smaller than expected and I just really want to try him.
Seedstock
http://www.herbsterangus.com/seedstock.html
Seems they always do when using a higher than average bw sire on heifers... it's human nature to expect the worst, so even if
it's just an ounce lighter, always feeling of relief bcs you know it could have been worse.
We use a lot of Herbsters sires. One of our favorites of his is International (the go back to, kind) and he is suppose to throw big calves but we've never had that issue. Ever. Not once. Have never had to pull one of his calves.

Not sure he's a heifer sire or not but this past year, we used Game On, Pursuit, and Property. I really like the Game On, visually. I'll go out to the calves and instantly draw my eyes to one. Seedstock isn't one I think the guys will use again and I couldn't honestly tell you why. I've just heard a lot of "I don't like him".

I could thumb thru some photos (I take 100's every time we go check on them) and show you how any of these grow, if you are interested?

NEFarmwife":115bpu3h said:
Son of Butch":115bpu3h said:
Jake":115bpu3h said:
This one is not sleep easy kind of bull but I've been told the BW are coming in smaller than expected and I just really want to try him.
Seedstock
http://www.herbsterangus.com/seedstock.html
Seems they always do when using a higher than average bw sire on heifers... it's human nature to expect the worst, so even if
it's just an ounce lighter, always feeling of relief bcs you know it could have been worse.
We use a lot of Herbsters sires. One of our favorites of his is International (the go back to, kind) and he is suppose to throw big calves but we've never had that issue. Ever. Not once. Have never had to pull one of his calves.

Not sure he's a heifer sire or not but this past year, we used Game On, Pursuit, and Property. I really like the Game On, visually. I'll go out to the calves and instantly draw my eyes to one. Seedstock isn't one I think the guys will use again and I couldn't honestly tell you why. I've just heard a lot of "I don't like him".

I could thumb thru some photos (I take 100's every time we go check on them) and show you how any of these grow, if you are interested?

Let's see them. I thought our seedstock heifers were nice. Pedigree calves grew on me as the year went. Definitely have some extra frame.

Jake":3s4aanj0 said:
NEFarmwife":3s4aanj0 said:
Son of Butch":3s4aanj0 said:

Let's see them. I thought our seedstock heifers were nice. Pedigree calves grew on me as the year went. Definitely have some extra frame.

We kept 55 replacements this past year that we bred to this spring.
Of those 55 replacements, they were sired by 9 Resource, 8 Game On, 10 Styles Up N Coming, 9 Studbook, and only 2 of Seedstock. A few others to make up the remaining but wanting to put Seedstock in perspective.

And just to be completely transparent... My FIL owns a percent of Up N Coming and the Studbook is a SAV he purchased. So we may have used both those bulls more extensively. But I'd argue all day long, that Up N Coming is an undervalued/under marketed bull. He makes really good daughters. We bred our very best registered heifer to him this year.

Latest posts