Angus Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

3rdgeneration farmer":2m724ieb said:
CAB-certified ANGUS beef. Why would they intend to use another breed? I dont understand.

They never planned to use another breed. Back when CAB started, Angus was virtually the only black breed. If a calf met the 51% black requirement, it was likely at half Angus. Today that's not necessarily true. I think the Angus Assn was as surprised as anyone to see Simmental, Limousin, Maines, etc., all add Angus to their breed. :shock:

I think the Angus Assn was as surprised as anyone to see Simmental, Limousin, Maines, etc., all add Angus to their breed.

Sure they were! :lol:

I sincerely hope these folks weren't that blind. :lol:

Wonder why they were so against the USDA randomly DNA testing CAB for angus percentage? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Answer: They were using the other black cattle for assistance in meeting demand and took credit away from the other breeds!

Plus, ain't it funny how sales of CAB only took off after the other breeds turned black? :lol:

MikeC":2hlzh4vs said:
Plus, ain't it funny how sales of CAB only took off after the other breeds turned black? :lol:

Except that's not how it happened. Other breeds started turning black to benefit from CAB premiums.

More and more producers are turning to straight bred Angus and hitting the CAB rate at a higher rate.

"Blake Crawford's Angus calves start out gaining more than 2.5 pounds (lb.) per day on the cow, and that's just the beginning. They keep gaining faster on more and better feed until realizing their quality potential — typically more than 50% Certified Angus Beef ® (CAB®) brand acceptance at 12 to 14 months of age."

http://www.angusbeefbulletin.com/abb_ar ... l?CID=6012

MikeC-

as i am not up on the premiums and discounts of the CAB program, how would two animals compare in total $ if one had a 800# carcass with .25 backfat, choice, YG 2 vs. 870# carcass with .75 backfat, choice, YG 4. the reason i'm asking is my butcherer tells me that the extra .5 backfat will equate to approximately 70# waste. so with the premiums and deducts considered, would the YG 4 calf make more money but still only have the same basic amount of saleable beef?

ROB

ROB":1th1cbk1 said:
MikeC-

as i am not up on the premiums and discounts of the CAB program, how would two animals compare in total $ if one had a 800# carcass with .25 backfat, choice, YG 2 vs. 870# carcass with .75 backfat, choice, YG 4. the reason i'm asking is my butcherer tells me that the extra .5 backfat will equate to approximately 70# waste. so with the premiums and deducts considered, would the YG 4 calf make more money but still only have the same basic amount of saleable beef?

ROB

Here's a grid.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/lm_ct155.txt

Frankie":3ku4pq0r said:
MikeC":3ku4pq0r said:

Except that's not how it happened. Other breeds started turning black to benefit from CAB premiums.

More and more producers are turning to straight bred Angus and hitting the CAB rate at a higher rate.

"Blake Crawford's Angus calves start out gaining more than 2.5 pounds (lb.) per day on the cow, and that's just the beginning. They keep gaining faster on more and better feed until realizing their quality potential — typically more than 50% Certified Angus Beef ® (CAB®) brand acceptance at 12 to 14 months of age."

you bet their hitting the CAB rate - CAB made the target bigger. kinda like hitting the broad side of a barn while standing on the inside :lol:

ROB

ROB":2us4x9z1 said:
Frankie":2us4x9z1 said:
MikeC":2us4x9z1 said:

you bet their hitting the CAB rate - CAB made the target bigger. kinda like hitting the broad side of a barn while standing on the inside :lol:

ROB

You wish. Lack of marbling is the reason most black cattle don't meet CAB standards. And they didn't change that requirement.

Frankie":rsydc7a4 said:
MikeC":rsydc7a4 said:

]Chicken or the Egg? :lol:

CAB could have stopped the other breeds from participating in the program anytime they wanted to.

Please answer the question:

Why did CAB fiercely fight the petition by the USDA to randomly DNA test CAB beef/meat for percentage of Angus influence?

MikeC":9yn8wbf3 said:
Why did CAB fiercely fight the petition by the USDA to randomly DNA test CAB beef/meat for percentage of Angus influence?

The cost and hassle at the packing plant/feedlot. And because the USDA-approved requirements for CAB don't require it. Why should they change those to make you want-to-be's happy?

Frankie":23by69sf said:
MikeC":23by69sf said:

The cost and hassle at the packing plant/feedlot. And because the USDA-approved requirements for CAB don't require it. Why should they change those to make you want-to-be's happy?

You're dancing again. The USDA WANTED to test the beef with no hassles to the program. The USDA WANTED to require it. CAB did not.

The cost would have a minimal effect to enhance and protect the "INTEGRITY?" of the program. (As put by the USDA)

Clearly, you have no defense....... :lol:

MikeC":1ifx8rcq said:
Frankie":1ifx8rcq said:
MikeC":1ifx8rcq said:

You're dancing again. The USDA WANTED to test the beef with no hassles to the program. The USDA WANTED to require it. CAB did not.

The cost would have a minimal effect to enhance and protect the "INTEGRITY?" of the program. (As put by the USDA)

Clearly, you have no defense....... :lol:

:roll: If the USDA wants to test it, they can. They're the USDA! All they have to do is withdraw their approval of the current specs. and require the testing. Show me a link that says the USDA wants to test CAB for % of Angus. The only people I've seen that want to test are the people selling the test and other branded beef programs.

Frankie":1bn1emi8 said:
You wish. Lack of marbling is the reason most black cattle don't meet CAB standards. And they didn't change that requirement.

so your saying that "most black cattle" don't meet CAB standards because they tend to quality grade no roll, select or choice minus? i always thought "black" cattle had the corner on quality grade, that marbling was the trait that set them apart from the rest. :shock:
also, the article you sited - look into the feed ration he's using. Impact 44 was formulated in part to reduce feedlot waste, and from first-hand knowledge i can assure you that feeding it will reduce fat cover on carcasses.
ROB

ROB":158tbkiy said:
Frankie":158tbkiy said:

so your saying that "most black cattle" don't meet CAB standards because they tend to quality grade no roll, select or choice minus? i always thought "black" cattle had the corner on quality grade, that marbling was the trait that set them apart from the rest. :shock:

Black cattle don;t have a coner on the quality grade market, but Angus theoretically do. Big difference between black and angus.
But for equal quility calves the black ones at least stand a chance of making CAB, other colors don;t

Jim Riemann, President CAB LLC to USDA listening session:

"I encourage USDAs Labeling and Consumer Protection Staff to withdraw all current label approvals and withhold approval of all label applications that identify product as DNA verified Angus........................"

dun":2hkjlkkb said:
ROB":2hkjlkkb said:
Frankie":2hkjlkkb said:

Black cattle don;t have a coner on the quality grade market, but Angus theoretically do. Big difference between black and angus.
But for equal quility calves the black ones at least stand a chance of making CAB, other colors don;t

this thread didn't start out as another CAB angus bashing thread. a few comments made got that ball rolling. since we are discussing CAB i figure we all know we are discussing angus or angus influenced cattle. otherwise frankie would have stated that most black cattle don't meet CAB standards because they lack angus influence.

ROB

MikeC":1idtuvvs said:

"I encourage USDAs Labeling and Consumer Protection Staff to withdraw all current label approvals and withhold approval of all label applications that identify product as DNA verified Angus........................"

Is this supposed to be a response to my question above? I'll repeat, in case you've forgotten.

Mike said:
The USDA WANTED to test the beef with no hassles to the program. The USDA WANTED to require it. CAB did not.

and I said:
Show me a link that says the USDA wants to test CAB for % of Angus.

So what are you telling us? That CAB didn't want the testing. We all know that. We're still waiting for that link to the USDA that shows they wanted to require testing CAB for Angus %.

Again: They're the USDA. They can require testing if they want it.

krenwic":3e8928tv said:
sad thing is CAB and its agenda doesn't affect MikeC's bottom line one bit...why waste the energy

Angus has made great inroads in the southern/southeastern part of the US in the last few years. Only so many bulls will be sold in a state or region. As more Angus bulls sell, demand for other breeds of bulls drops.

Angus/Brangus":37hcqifo said:
Frankie":37hcqifo said:
MikeC":37hcqifo said:

Is this supposed to be a response to my question above? I'll repeat, in case you've forgotten.

Mike said:
The USDA WANTED to test the beef with no hassles to the program. The USDA WANTED to require it. CAB did not.

and I said:
Show me a link that says the USDA wants to test CAB for % of Angus.

So what are you telling us? That CAB didn't want the testing. We all know that. We're still waiting for that link to the USDA that shows they wanted to require testing CAB for Angus %.

Again: They're the USDA. They can require testing if they want it.

Don't hold your breath waiting. Some folks just like to complain - like the YG3 fixation thing.

CAB now has a manual on how to get folks pointed in the right direction for raising beef that will generate a premium. Those that are inclined to raise quality Angus beef should check it out.

Those that want to push a premium on the lower quality beef YG3-5 should consider some other marketing program

not complaining about the YG thing, but it seems that CAB is offering premiums to folks with "lower quality" beef when they make quality premiums available to "lower quality" carcasses that YG 4 & 5. i use the term "lower quality" loosely since we could be talking about prime quality carcasses with various yield grades.

ROB

Latest posts