Angus Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

ROB

Reaction score
What quality('s) of the angus breed do you consider to be the main factor(s) that has made them the predominate breed in the United States?

Thanks,
ROB

I am an angus breeder and the cattle have great maternal, growth and end product traits that make them great cows but the main reason they are as prodominate today as they are is due to the quality of the marketing that the association has done. Couple the good marketing with the impeccable data collection in mass numbers and you can really steer a breed in a direction that meets the customer and consumer demands. But data collection alone doesn't do anything you have to interpret the data and distribute it to the members in a usable manner so that they are better informed about breeding decisions and so forth.

ROB":2bohvfwu said:
What quality('s) of the angus breed do you consider to be the main factor(s) that has made them the predominate breed in the United States?

Thanks,
ROB

I consider maternal and carcass as the main factors but angus do a lot of things right especially with respect to crossbreeding. If they didn't you wouldn't see so many of them. I hope angus breeders try to keep them in the middle of the road not going to extremes in any one trait. As I have said before I don't think I would want my angus with the muscle of some of the continentals, I believe when you breed excess muscle you will lose something else along the way. I think the same way with MOST continentals when you breed in carcass and maternal you will stand a good chance of losing some muscle. But we all strive for those outliers in our favorite breed don't we??

ROB":fby9bd5k said:

Thanks,
ROB

Their PR people at the AAA. :roll:

I've got to go along with MikeC and cfpinz. I persoanlly don;t think they do anything any better then many of the other british breeds, but boy can they ever market

ROB":2whw6tfg said:
cfpinz":2whw6tfg said:
Is advertising considered a quality?

cfpinz

anything goes - until a moderator steps in :lol:

Advertising has enticed the market, plain and simple. Angus are a market driven commodity right now.

Angus In Texas":38mg7yl1 said:
I am an angus breeder and the cattle have great maternal, growth and end product traits that make them great cows but the main reason they are as prodominate today as they are is due to the quality of the marketing that the association has done. Couple the good marketing with the impeccable data collection in mass numbers and you can really steer a breed in a direction that meets the customer and consumer demands. But data collection alone doesn't do anything you have to interpret the data and distribute it to the members in a usable manner so that they are better informed about breeding decisions and so forth.

All with great intentions I have no doubt, but do remember that this has gone astray by a long shot! EPD's, marketing and where it has lead to has generally been beneficial in terms of job security for the Assoc and the guys in the rubber rooms that supposively think they have the knowledge and means to lead breeders to greater heights with the numbers.

People claim to be individuals yet follow like sheep. I would ask for herds that offer breed leading EPD's across the board.....YET have a well rounded herd that does a lot of things right by performing in all aspects!

SEC":d25r5lnx said:
Angus In Texas":d25r5lnx said:

All with great intentions I have no doubt, but do remember that this has gone astray by a long shot! EPD's, marketing and where it has lead to has generally been beneficial in terms of job security for the Assoc and the guys in the rubber rooms that supposively think they have the knowledge and means to lead breeders to greater heights with the numbers.

People claim to be individuals yet follow like sheep. I would ask for herds that offer breed leading EPD's across the board.....YET have a well rounded herd that does a lot of things right by performing in all aspects!

Gardiners. They consistently have one of the top sales in the breed, plus they're very involved in the US Premium Beef program. Nichols is another breeder who not only has successful seedstock sales, but has also been successful in helping their customers market their calves.

SEC":2zh8ts2e said:
Angus In Texas":2zh8ts2e said:

Somehow I knew it was going to come to this when Rob asked the question. LOL

TSR":2enm1a4b said:
Somehow I knew it was going to come to this when Rob asked the question. LOL

as i also have angus i am fully aware of their maternal traits, marketability, feed conversion, temperment, etc. i think they are a good breed of cattle. i think the reason angus are where they are today is due to good marketing and perception.

when we took our small operation out on a limb (bringing in a new breed) we had to get past our own perceptions that angus was a mainstay- simply because thats what all the neighbors were doing. but after a few years of side by side comparisons, were finding that feed conversion, cost per lb. of gain, and carcass quality of our angus are inferior to the other breed we handle. Temperment, mothering and birthing are not a problem with either breed. marketing is a problem - but i've got a lifetime to get past that obstacle. (and dun- i think i'll need it!)

ROB

ROB":1yuw5xpu said:
but after a few years of side by side comparisons, were finding that feed conversion, cost per lb. of gain, and carcass quality of our angus are inferior to the other breed we handle. Temperment, mothering and birthing are not a problem with either breed.
ROB

I'm sorry, ROB, but you're not allowed to say that another breed is superior to Angus in any way on this forum. :D Just out of curiosity, what is the other breed?

This is what I like about my Angus cows. Easy keepers and Winter hardy, gentle, not 1 of my cows poses any threat while handling newborns, Good udders and longevity. Their calves crossbred with Char or straight Angus top the markets.

A long time ago "Corn Feed Midwestern Beef" was all the rage. They never said what the breed(s) were. I think it is all in the advertising. Who knows some day the rage may be them "Black Herefords" (Baldies) :lol: Just for the record I also have Black Angus,some registered and Herefords,some registered and the Baldies I get from my Hereford X Angus look an awful lot like them Black Herefords. ;-)

Frankie":336e7l52 said:
SEC":336e7l52 said:
Angus In Texas":336e7l52 said:

Gardiners. They consistently have one of the top sales in the breed, plus they're very involved in the US Premium Beef program. Nichols is another breeder who not only has successful seedstock sales, but has also been successful in helping their customers market their calves.

I would disagree, if you read any of the footnotes on the cattle from GAR the cow/factory has little to do with things. They have taken maternally based cattle and bred them into these bizarre creatures of carcass. There has been little regard balance. SC measurements are dismal, I am sure my nuts are bigger than most of their bulls. They perpetuate the extreme cattle and keep adding to the numbers. Go back to the 2005 Select Sires AI book, there is a picture of 2536 :oops: :shock:. She would be involved in ET work at our place, but it would likely be an embryo that would be going in a cow like that. Can see why she got fattened and and a picture taken as a dry cow.

Frankie":1qirfold said:
SEC":1qirfold said:
Angus In Texas":1qirfold said:

I would disagree, if you read any of the footnotes on the cattle from GAR the cow/factory has little to do with things. They have taken maternally based cattle and bred them into these bizarre creatures of carcass. There has been little regard balance. SC measurements are dismal, I am sure my nuts are bigger than most of their bulls. They perpetuate the extreme cattle and keep adding to the numbers. Go back to the 2005 Select Sires AI book, there is a picture of 2536 :oops: :shock:. She would be involved in ET work at our place, but it would likely be an embryo that would be going in a cow like that. Can see why she got fattened and and a picture taken as a dry cow.

I can't take away from the success at their sales, but success isn't designated by the $$$ collected, although it does go a long way.

SEC

I was unable to find the photo of "2536" in the 2005 directory. Could you post it here?

VanC":25wbxmpj said:
ROB":25wbxmpj said:
... of our angus are inferior to the other breed we handle.
ROB

I'm sorry, ROB, but you're not allowed to say that another breed is superior to Angus in any way on this forum. :D Just out of curiosity, what is the other breed?

vanC- the "other" breed will remain anonymous. also, i am not saying that any breed is superior to any other breed - except to the extent of my own cattle. i have no way of knowing how well the cattle i own stack up against the masses of other cattle within their respective breed. my seedstock is generally commercial in nature and was purchased from "reputation producers" of our local area.