angus calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

hi, i have a angus bull calf - born 2-20-02, his mother - her 2nd calf, 1st calf born with no problems - calf was born with swollen jaw - both sides and nose was swollen, vet said that she had problems having - swelling has gone down considerably over the last six days and from the day he was born he has not sucked the mother - not even the bottle - i have to tube him in order for him to get nutrition. question is he now has pneuomina vet says gave him new flora and vitimans - seems to be doing better sometimes than the other - put now he keeps kicking or moving his legs like he is in pain. what should i do now? i fed him 4 x's daily with the tube - milk replacer and cholstric is added. please help? before he dies. he sounds better and i keep turning him from side to side. what now?

[email protected]

Ok, is this calf down? If he's down, he definitely needs to be rolled (legs under) from side to side. If he's not,why would you roll him? He sounds like he has colic, possibly from an abomasal ulcer or some other defect. Have you seen him pass stool? He could have atresia ani or coli which would cause him to colic, and he will die if that is what he has. If he's passing manure, check his navel for infection, feel his knees for pain and swelling, check his mouth to ensure he doesn't have a cleft palate (can't nurse with one). Nuflor as an antibiotic is fine, as are vitamins, but if he has aspiration pneumonia, he likely won't make it. I guess I'm not hopeful without knowing the above answers! I'll check the list later today to see if you've replied! Good Luck! V

>VICKI THE V,

YES THE CALF IS DOWN HAS BEEN SINCE BIRTH, HAS BOWEL MOVEMENTS, AND IS PASSING URINE, NO CLEF PALLETT, HAVE BEEN ROLLING HIM FROM SIDE TO SIDE, TODAY HE IS MORE ALERT, STILL KICKING HIS FRONT & HIND LEGS, TRYING TO BELLAR, HAS A COUPLE OF TIMES, TODAY HE SOUNDS MORE RASPY WITH SOUNDS FROM THE LUNG OR LUNGS. HIS LEGS DON'T SEEM TO BE SWOLLEN. IF HE HAS COLIC WHAT DO I GIVE HIM? SHOULD I GIVE HIM ANOTHER SHOT OF FLORA & VITAMINS? IS THERE A WAY TO HELP HIM COME OUT OF THIS OR SHOULD I CALL THE VET TO HAVE HIM PUT DOWN? I DON'T WANT HIM TO SUFFER IF HE CAN'T BE SAVED? PLEASE ADVISE! THANK YOU

[email protected]

Sue, this is going to sound odd but have you tried lifting the calf and putting him over a bale(square, not round) and if so, what does he do? Colic is abdominal pain, and can be caused by many things, including abomasal ulcers from stress. Being down will cramp the legs. In my experience, lifting the calf and allowing it to stand over a bale helps a lot. Downer calves invariably get pneumonia. If he's raspier, definitely take his temp. If above 102.5, call the vet and ask their opinion.

Now I'm going to go general re downer calves.....they need to have their weight off the sides of their legs and have the legs massaged and manipulated when off or they'll likely never get up. They'll sometimes be down due to brain damage,fractures from birth, infection or stupidity, but the end result is often the same without intensive working with them! The pneumonia is often what starts the downhill slide, scours can occur, maggots (yuck!)if in season....it takes a lot but once they're up they tend to do great. Some will go down again, and that's usually the end, but you can't always judge in advance who'll make it. Good Luck! V

Latest posts