Angus Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

We do all of our AI work in December so I have been busy selecting bulls, we will be using the following this year:

SAV Final Answer 0035
Coleman Regis 904
Coleman Midland 430 (not in an AI stud just have semen on him and like his calves a bunch)
Coleman EXT 6149 (our senior herd sire that we have collected and will use on a flush and some heifers)
N Bar Emulation EXT (will use in a flush)
Sitz Alliance 6595
B C Matrix 4132
Sinclair Excellency 5X25
OCC Missing Link 830M
Boyd New Day 8005

Natural service sires will be
Coleman EXT 6149
Sinclair Rito 9R9

We have used all of these bulls in the past with the exception of Coleman Regis and OCC Missing Link and a couple of our long yearlings to use natural service on our heifers.

Gizmom

gizmom":2baclf2r said:
We do all of our AI work in December so I have been busy selecting bulls, we will be using the following this year:

SAV Final Answer 0035
Coleman Regis 904
Coleman Midland 430 (not in an AI stud just have semen on him and like his calves a bunch)
Coleman EXT 6149 (our senior herd sire that we have collected and will use on a flush and some heifers)
N Bar Emulation EXT (will use in a flush)
Sitz Alliance 6595
B C Matrix 4132
Sinclair Excellency 5X25
OCC Missing Link 830M
Boyd New Day 8005

Natural service sires will be
Coleman EXT 6149
Sinclair Rito 9R9

We have used all of these bulls in the past with the exception of Coleman Regis and OCC Missing Link and a couple of our long yearlings to use natural service on our heifers.

Gizmom

Very Nice Line Up!! I am actually looking at "maybe" using Hoover Dam. One of cows didn't take and if I can find sexed semen on him I'm going to go with him. So far striking out. Going to try and breed her again towards the end of November.

Lucky_P":219onmx5 said:
Thanks for that CP.
I'm still (and probably always will be) selecting sires for the daughters they can produce. Well, at least until we start breeding the ANxSH/SMxSH/AN/SM cows 'terminal' to produce calves that we won't be keeping.
AI calves in the Fall group this year are almost all Mandates. So far, they look OK, but the Mandate daughters look better than the sons.

You like the Mandates calves? I have been wondering about using him but still on the ropes.

Jury's still out on the Mandates. And, with most of them coming out of first-calf high percentage Angus heifers(mostly NBPT D806 daughters), they may not measure up, at weaning, against calves from mature SimAngus cows. Won't be an apples-to-apples comparison.
Again, right now, the heifers look better than the bull calves.

Redcows,
We have been using Waukaru Goldmine 2109 - have several heifers on the ground by him, and will be breeding 10-15 cows to him this month.
Several cows bred to Waukaru Coppertop 464 for spring calves, and will be breeding a handful of mature cows to him this month. If his calves come easy and grow to match his his epds and Genestar profile, he's probably going to be the go-to Shorthorn sire we'll use most in the next couple of years.
Am going to sample the Rob Sneed '034' and Captain Obvious bulls that Sue McLachlan has been promoting on a few of the bigger-framed, lighter-muscled 3/4AN-1/4SM cows to hopefully make some thicker calves.

I'm still not comfortable enough with the Shorthorns to breed virgin heifers to them, but the Goldmine 2109 calves have certainly come small enough that he might be well be OK to use on a well-grown heifer. I just don't have enough experience with any of them yet to feel comfortable going there.

Rethought the OCC Prototype deal. Believe I'll pass on him, and just breed all the virgin heifers to SAF Connection this go-'round.

I showed Reg. Angus back in the 50-60s and have been around the show seen all my life. But in general I have a cow/calf operation selling all our bulls at 14-18 months to commercial operations. We keep most of our heifers for replacements. I think we can all agree that raising show cattle and raising cattle for a beef operation is two different things. The club calves and the showy cattle, 9 times out of 10 are sired by one group of sires and the cattlemen raising beef for a living is using a totally different group of sires. In the beef business you are breeding for fast gain, and carcuss quality. I am looking for bull calves that gain over 5 lbs a day from weaning to 14 months. I want a calf that weans at 600-700 lbs and weighs 12-1400 lbs at 12 months. That along with a low birth weight is what my customers are looking for. Now you can add in the other EPDs such as RE, Marb, Fat, but what they want to see is $F and $B. We AI to all the top sires that come around evey year or two, but we tend to stick with son's of New Design 036 on top and 036 or Objective on the bottom side. These cattle sell like hot cakes. We are using a clean up bull right now that is a son of 5050 on top and Objective on the bottom. He has 12 EPDs in the top 5% of the breed. He is doing a GREAT job for us, but he would not win many shows. The show ring is a totally different ball game.

Latest posts